PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing mushrooms

Options

Comments

• jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Yes to both, i just chop them up so they're ready to use.

Jackie x
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,805 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i TEND TO FREEZE MUSHROOMS PART COOKED - sorry; didn't mean to shout! They are ok for cooking with but not for salads etc.

Onions I blanche then freeze - I have bought some (for my disabled gran years ago - she would have liver and onions without the chopping!) which were frozen raw and they were ok so you should be ok freezing them raw.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    You can freeze mushrooms :D I cook mine in a little butter first.

I'll add this to the existing thread ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • jma21
    jma21 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Just ordered my shopping which includes a huge box of mushrooms. I'm only going to use some in lasagnes and there'll be plenty left over. How do I prepare mushrooms for freezing so they can be used up at a later date? (I won't use them in anything else so will have to wait for my next lot of 4 lasagnes!) Do I need to blanch them or anything or can I just put them in freezer as they are?
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

No need to blanch -just slice and freeze
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    wow i asked a friend about freezing mushrooms before xmas and was told i couldnt,thanks for that it will save on wastage
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • jma21
    jma21 Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Great, thanks!
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I peel & slice mine, then bag up into recipe sized portions ready to be tossed into casseroles etc. They may not stay white when defrosted but still taste good.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • La-Cara
    La-Cara Posts: 915 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    if you use them on their own after freezing e.g. to have on toast, then I find they do go quite soggy (also not good for stir fries), but they are fine used on pizza, in pasta sauce etc.
  • Kadeeae
    Kadeeae Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    luxor4t wrote: »
    I peel & slice mine, then bag up into recipe sized portions ready to be tossed into casseroles etc. They may not stay white when defrosted but still taste good.

I've never peeled a mushroom in my life! Do lots of people do this? I feel such an idiot, lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure