PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing mushrooms

Options

Comments

• Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No, I don't peel them either. :cool:
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I chop mushrooms, pop into bags big enough for one meal, freeze and then pop them into meals such as casseroles, bolognese etc, as and when I need them. I try to keep some in the freezer as it is really handy if you have run out of fresh mushrooms.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • grannytwice
    Options
    I slice mine quite thick an freeze in usable size poly bags i always use them in cooking caseroles ,currys, lasagne, etc always works fine
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    i often freeze mushroom's have done for ages since i saw in local veggie shop a huge tray for 50p. however they don't stay white when cooked like fresh ones can. but they still taste gorg.
  • Bitsy_Beans
    Bitsy_Beans Posts: 9,640 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Peel mushrooms? Goodness don't have time for that malarky!!!
    Wash, chop and freeze. When defrosted they are well soggy though so only any good in soups, stews, spag bol etc etc.
    don't really like them anyway so not really bothered about the taste!!
    I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it'll be with a knife :D Louise Brooks
    All will be well in the end. If it's not well, it's not the end.
    Be humble for you are made of earth. Be noble for you are made of stars
  • MRSMCAWBER
    MRSMCAWBER Posts: 5,442 Forumite
    Options
    I don't wash mushrooms either :rotfl: they soak up water... if they are lucky they get a wipe with kitchen towel :p -Mind now I generally buy big bags of ready frozen ones -saves em going rubbery in the fridge :D

If you want to use them for stir fries etc -I just dfrost them and squeeze all the liquid out -then they are fine :D
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • xnatalie81x
    Options
    I always buy the big pot of tesco mushrooms for 1.36 as even though i only use 3/4 and end up chucking the rest it is still cheaper than the other options HOWEVER on the 'spend 4k a year' thread someone mentioned freezing them

ooooooooo the saving opportunity here! How do you guys do it, cook them first then freeze or freeze them raw, chop em or do whole........ I use mushrooms in everything from cottage pies to pasta bakes to bulk it out.... I am doing cottage pie tonight and bolognese tomorrow so could prep the mushrooms tonight ready.

Any advice

thanks
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

One adult + 4 children + dog
  • apple_mint
    apple_mint Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I simply chop them and freeze them in one meal-sized bags. I do the same with celery and leeks. They are then used as the base for meal such as bolognese, mince, casserole etc. It's really handy having them in the freezer.
    Enjoying an MSE OS life :D
  • xnatalie81x
    Options
    is that raw then.............. i really am hopeless lol
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

One adult + 4 children + dog
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    is that raw then.............. i really am hopeless lol

I cook them first - otherwise when you defrost them they're fine to cook, but look a bit funny and dried out :p I cook mine slowly in a little butter or water.

I'll add this to the existing thread on freezing mushrooms to keep ideas together ;)

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family