PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Freezing mushrooms

Options

Comments

• rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    here is Thriftlady's thread Meal Building Blocks for the freezer ;)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • hotcookie101
    Options
    I also freeze raw mushrooms (only if get a glut though, or loads that are reduced to clear-just open freeze then bag up)
    I don't tend to have a huge amount of veg spare-we get a veg box every 2 weeks and it seems to do me and OH quite well, but if I do have any carrots/leeks etc I usually make soup, but can just chop (or blitz in FP) and freeze.

I do a thing like thriftlady's freezer "mush" but just tend to do as I need it, eg for bolognase-carrots celery onions, chilli or mexican style soup stuff I like to add a green pepper to the FP if I have one (I don't like green peppers on their own-too bitter, but they are good as part of a base)

I also will roast/grill slices of aubergine with olive oil until soft, then open freeze them and pop into a bag-it makes moussaka a LOT easier to throw together quickly :D
  • SallyForth_2
    Options
    I have frozon stews, curries and pasta sauses which have had mushrooms in them, and they don't appear to suffer when defrosted.
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all.

Recently I had a glut of whoopsied mushrooms and came up with the idea of freezing them.

I have just gone to fry some up but they are sooooo limp and watery. Yuck!

Has anyone done this successfully? If so, how?
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • Justamum
    Justamum Posts: 4,727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've frozen mushrooms successfully before, but I would then only use them as an ingredient in a pasta sauce or something.
  • Aarons_mummy
    Options
    I froze some a couple of weeks ago but haven't used them yet as above says I'd use them in a sauce or bolognaise or something sorry can't help hopefully someone else will be along soon :)
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • Kitchenbunny
    Kitchenbunny Posts: 2,085 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I fry mine lightly in a bit of butter and sometimes some garlic and herbs, and then use them in pasta dishes or pie fillings where you don't notice the texture as much.

HtH

KB xx
    Trying for daily wins, and a little security in an insecure world.
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Options
    Basically it seems to be a case of hiding them in some other dish? I fried them to go with the last 2 rashers of bacon as a scooby snack but lost my appetite a little when first tucking in!
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You could try defrosting slowly in the fridge? Apparently the cell walls don't break down in the same way. Not sure if it will work or not but it does help with frozen broccoli etc...
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would cook them before freezing so as to drive off all the excess water (chop dry fry in a non stick pan or use a very little fat)

Do not panic that they are limp and watery now, cook them alone or with a little fat and the heat will get rid of most of the liquid. You may not be left with crunch but you will have flavour!

I haven't come across a way of preserving mushrooms that allows then to retain their fresh texture, but the flavour is almost always improved!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport