PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezing mushrooms

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,319 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Never done it, but as you can buy frozen ones I assume you can freeze your own
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • vezb
    vezb Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    hi,

i slice mine and freeze them raw all laid out on a baking tray, covered with clingfilm. then when they've frozen I put them in one bag.

Not sure how the texture is affected as I only use them in sauces like bolognese and things like that, not as mushrooms on a plate. IYKWIM.

hope this helps
    verity
  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

Still got lots of the megahaul of cheapo mushrooms from yesterday. Was wondering if best to cook before freezing, or just freeze. My inclination would be to saute them briefly before cooking, as I will be adding them to stuff.

What do you think?
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • FunkyFairy
    FunkyFairy Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You could do either. I normal just freeze as is and add them as i am frying off onions frozen.
  • purpleivy
    Options
    FunkyFairy wrote: »
    You could do either. I normal just freeze as is and add them as i am frying off onions frozen.

Good, that would certainly be less trouble, still have about 1500g to go!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would cook/saute first.

Mushrooms have a high water content and freezing them raw can result in a deterioration in texture. Imagine the water content frozen and then defrosted ....

Cooking them, even briefly releases some of the water, so the problem is alleviated. That said, they are unlikely to retain a firm texture - they'll be soft and floppy (ooh, err Missus!!!!)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I always saute mushrooms before freezing but I know others just pop them into the freezer as they are. There's an earlier thread that should help so I'll add your post to it.

Pink
  • purpleivy
    Options
    Thanks, I've just had another thought... I bought a dehydrator a few weeks ago and not used it yet.... maybe i should get that out and have a look for dehydrator threads LOL!
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    purpleivy wrote: »
    Thanks, I've just had another thought... I bought a dehydrator a few weeks ago and not used it yet.... maybe i should get that out and have a look for dehydrator threads LOL!

There are some posts about drying mushrooms on this thread:

Food drying - Dehydrators

If you use the search this thread function (to the top right of the page when you open the thread) you should find them easily.

Pink
  • Beebop
    Beebop Posts: 213 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can freeze mushrooms? If so, is there any special preparation you need to do first e.g slice?

What about freezing spring onions? I assume as you can freeze onions then spring onions would be ok too?

Thanks for any wisdom on this subject!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport