Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection - Page 172

New Post Advanced Search

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.8K replies 936.4K views

Replies

• AngelaAngela Forumite
    1.5K posts
    I suppose when i say stringy i mean you cant get a slice from it, i dont paricularly like the falling off the bone/ falling apart type meat I like to be able to slice it, but perhaps you can only get this from roast meat. I dunno

Anyway I have a collar of pork in the SC at the mo 2kgs just wondering how long to cook this,am wondering if 5 hours would be ok?
    Any ideas gratefully appreciated.
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Angela wrote: »
    I suppose when i say stringy i mean you cant get a slice from it, i dont paricularly like the falling off the bone/ falling apart type meat I like to be able to slice it, but perhaps you can only get this from roast meat. I dunno

That is normal from a SC chicken, though the breasts are usually still carvable on mine.

Anyway I have a collar of pork in the SC at the mo 2kgs just wondering how long to cook this,am wondering if 5 hours would be ok?
    Any ideas gratefully appreciated.
    How did the pork go?

Sorry I missed this earlier.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    14K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For dinner tonight we had Slow Cooker Chilli Con Carne.

700g mince (beef or turkey), 1 large onion chopped, 2-3 cloves garlic-crushed (or to taste) 1 tsp chilli powder (or to taste), 1/4 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste), 1 tsp paprika (or to taste), 2 tins chopped tomatos, 2 tins kidney beans, 1 tblesp tomato puree, 200ml beef stock (chicken if using turkey)

Brown off the meat and pop in SC. Fry off onion and garlic then add the chilli, chilli flakes and paprika and fry for 2-3 min. Pop it all into SC. Add water to pan and heat up (this is for the stock and will incorperate anything that is left in the pan). Put the rest of the ingredients in the SC. Add stock cube/powder (I use bisto best as we have 2 who are GF.) Top up with water from the pan.

Stick on low for the day and serve in the evening with a dollop or two of sour cream and rice or crusty bread or tortilla chips.

You can bulk this out with grated carrot and/or lentils as well. Though if you are adding lentil I usually ad more stock.
    BSCno.87
  • edited 5 December 2011 at 12:23PM
    furndirefurndire Forumite
    7.3K posts
    edited 5 December 2011 at 12:23PM
    When I cook Beef in the slow cooker, I sear the outside in a dry frying pan first to get the outside slightly brown (usually this sets the fire alarm off) Then I put it in the slow cooker without any liquid. When I buy a piece of beef, I buy as large as possible to fit in the slow cooker, then carve it with a Lidl electric slicer. I make a huge pan of gravy with the juices, and portion it all up in gravy & freeze in containers. We are having Beef for Christmas dinner, and that is already cooked & ready to go.
    You usually get enough juices out without adding liquid. I never put liquid in with chickens either.
    By buying a large piece of meat you actually get better value, as if I portion it carefully & use a slicer I get several meals from a joint.
    14K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I browned off the 4 sausages I had left from yesterday and sliced them thinly, then bunged them in the slow cooker. Chopped up a couple of onions and fried them off with a couple of cloves of garlic and bunged it in the SC. Then into the SC I added a tin of drained chick peas, left over pumpkin that needed using up, tin tomatoes, 2 tblsp tomato puree, 1tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp ground coriander, 2 tsp leaf coriander, 2 tsp cumin, salt and pepper and 3 or so blocks of frozen spinach.

Served it with rice.

Clean plates all round :)

You could probably subsitute pumpkin for butternut squash or similar. I just had to use up left overs.

It served the five of us.
    BSCno.87
  • Hi, I have a really old SC, one without any controls. I cook great joints of meat in it, but if I try & do a casserole or add veg to the meat it never cooks. They are really hard even if I cook things for about 9 hours. What am I doing wrong do you think? Many thanks :)
  • squeakysqueaky Forumite
    14.1K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That would be carrots? Potatoes? Parsnips...?

Root vegetables take a long time to cook in a slow cooker, esp if in big pieces.

Boil them separately from your main ingredients for ten minutes before adding them into the slow cooker. This gives them a good start and they should be fine :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • ariba10ariba10 Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    karenjayne wrote: »
    Hi, I have a really old SC, one without any controls. I cook great joints of meat in it, but if I try & do a casserole or add veg to the meat it never cooks. They are really hard even if I cook things for about 9 hours. What am I doing wrong do you think? Many thanks :)

Meat will cook if only partially covered by the cooking liquid.

Vegetable's need to be covered.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • just to let people know who have a slow cooker/crockpot i recently found out when id bought some chips from the chip shop that when my oh said he was going to be late i put his portion of the chips back in the paper and put it on the keep warm setting and put his chips in the sc, he said they tasted just like they had been bought 2 hrs later, same goes for roast potatoes if someones running late for the sunday roast ;)
    Ds2 born 3/4/12 8lbs 8.5:j
    Ds1 born 28/4/07 9lb 8 :j
    Frugal, thrifty, tight mum & wife and proud of it lol
    :rotfl::j
    Make money for Xmas challenge 2014 £0/£270
    14K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had SC Spanish Chicken for dinner.

I defrosted a bag of frozen chicken thighs and then seasoned them with salt and pepper. Fried them off for a few minutes to brown and seal them. Popped them in the SC. Bunged a chopped onion and couple of cloves of garlic in the pan and fried them off and then bunged them in the SC. Then added to the SC quatered mushrooms (probably around a dozen or so), a couple of handfuls of frozen peppers, a couple of sliced carrots, sweetcorn and peas, 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, a tblsp of tomato puree, couple of tsp of majoram and parsley (mixed herbs work just as well, I wanted to use these up) and about half pint of chicken stock. Served it with rice.

We had enough left for a couple of meals to be boxed up.

just to let people know who have a slow cooker/crockpot i recently found out when id bought some chips from the chip shop that when my oh said he was going to be late i put his portion of the chips back in the paper and put it on the keep warm setting and put his chips in the sc, he said they tasted just like they had been bought 2 hrs later, same goes for roast potatoes if someones running late for the sunday roast ;)

Great tip, thanks :T
    BSCno.87