Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection - Page 173

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.8K replies 937.6K views

Replies

• Can someone recommend a cook book for the slow cooker please? Want to get one for my sister in law.
  • tigerfeet2006tigerfeet2006 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I must admit to not finding a SC book that has ever sung to me, if you know what I mean. Always too many recipes that I wouldn't cook, so a waste of money. I adapt one pot meals and casseroles and google to get inspiration.

Hopefully someone has found one they like.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • SALOPMANSALOPMAN Forumite
    519 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness. :beer:
  • I must admit to not finding a SC book that has ever sung to me, if you know what I mean. Always too many recipes that I wouldn't cook, so a waste of money. I adapt one pot meals and casseroles and google to get inspiration.

Hopefully someone has found one they like.

Yeah BUT I need to get her a Christmas present and I'm running out of time :eek: :rotfl:
  • richjrichj Forumite
    273 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Do you have a local 'Works' store? if so a wander down there might give you inspiration
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • MILD MADRAS FULL CHICKEN
    Tried this & it is so nice it will now become a regular.

I skinned a full chicken & then marinated it in
    20g of melted butter
    2 table spoons of garam masala
    2 tablespoons of madras powder
    2 cloves of crushed garlic.

I then added it to the slow cooker with an inch of hm chicken stock & a dash of soy sauce.

I turned the chicken after a few hours to help baste it.

With an hour to go I removed the cooking liquid from the sc & reduced in a saucepan with some red onion & a few tablespoons of passata.

I served this with stirfried mushroom & cabbage, one the best meals we have had for a long time if I do say so myself & enough for another meal each also :)
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
    14K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pink Princess, that sounds very scrummy.

I've put this on the GC thread but will put it here as well.

SC Chicken with chorizo and bacon (gluten and dairy free)

MrT frozen Simply Cook Chicken Thighs 1KG (£2.49), MrT Continental Selection Chorizo, chopped into quaters (£1,49 used half and the rest will go in sandwiches), MrT value cooking bacon 500g, chopped (99p, half used in this and half to be used in a cabonara tonight), 2 medium onions, sliced (from my 4kg sack, so pennies) 2 garlic cloves, crushed (pennies again). 3 or 4 carrots sliced (MrT market value 2kg 89p, so pennies), 2 tins chopped tomato (MrT value 38p), Potatoes, chopped into quarters (MrT market value white potaoes 5kg £1.69 so pennies), frozen peppers, a couple of handfuls (MrT sliced mixed peppers 500g £1), black olives 100g (I had half a jar lurking in the back of the fridge but MrT black pitted olives 330g 79p, so you can get 3 meals out of a jar), 1tsp paprika, 1 tblsp parsley, 200ml chicken stock (or 100ml stock, 100ml white wine if you have some to use up)

In a big pan fry off the chicken pieces and put in SC, fry off chorizo and bacon and sling in the SC, fry off the onion, garlic and carrots and bung into SC. Add the rest of the ingredients to the SC and pop on low for the day. You have a complete meal and there is no need to cook extra to add to it when you come home.

This served 5 of us plus a portion for the freezer.
    BSCno.87
    14K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tonight's dinner was SC Pork, mustard, honey and apple (GF and can be DF)

Brown a pack of pork loin chops. I put some seseme oil in the wok and chucked the pork a few at a time in there, they don't take long at all in there. Whip them out and chop into pieces and bung in the SC. Then chop and bung a large onion in the wok and once done chuck it in the SC. This can all be done in a pan with normal oil but I thought I would try this for a change. Next add 2tblsp mustard seed, 2 tablsp or so of honey, 300ml apple juice. You can core, peel and quarter some apples to bung in as well or when you put the rice on you could caramilise the apples. Just before serving stir in 300ml of creme fraiche or serve a dollop on the side of plate. If you are DF then omit this stage. I served this with rice in which I had added peas and sweetcorn.

REMEMBER TO CHECK THE INGREDIENT'S OF ALL SAUCES ETC. AS CONTENTS CHANGE AND WHAT IS NOW GF/DF COULD CONTAIN IT IN FUTURE.
    BSCno.87
  • Yassa is a Senegal stew.

This serves 4 people:
    2 medium onions, 3 cloves of garlic, 50ml of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, Cayenne pepper to personal taste. I use 1 teaspoon but I like hot. A full chicken cut into 1/4s, touch of oil spray.

Put everything in the slow cooker and give it a very good mix. I then leave over night in the fridge to marinade. If you like to leave the skin on then brown the next morning, if not remove the skin before marinade stage. Next morning just stir it all again and pop on a low heat for 6-8 hours.
    The juices make an amazing sauce, just blend and quickly reduce.
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • FusspotFusspot Forumite
    327 posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I do have a slow cooker but very rarely use it. I live alone and tend to buy a lot of ready meals which I must admit is costing me a fortune - but its quick and easy.

I'd like to make use of my slow cooker but so far when I have used it I have only cooked mince in it as thats the only meat I feel comfortable reheating, I love chicken but am paranoid about reheating it and getting food poisoning and I know that slow cooker dishes make more than one meal so some will need reheating for another day.

Any more singletons on here, how do you do quick easy meals that don't cost a fortune? I tend to shop as I go and just do an online shop once a week for the heavy stuff like cat food, litter and cleaning stuff, the rest of the time I go in M&S after work and just buy ready meals from there.