New Post Advanced Search

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.8K replies 936.4K views

Replies

• HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I gather you have a microwave so I suggest you use the slow cooker to cook up several servings of a meal then eat one serving and freeze the rest in seperate containers then on another day whip one of them out of the freezer and microwave that for dinner. Any meat is good for the slow cooker and can all be frozen and reheated once. Slow cookers do make very quick and easy meals. It just takes 20 minutes or so chopping up stuff throwing it all in turning it on and just a few minutes more once the slow cooker has cooled putting the rest in containers for the freezer.

What ready meals do you buy? It's highly likely that any ready meal you buy is cooked in bulk and would be exactly what you could make in a slow cooker so use those ready meals as an idea of what to cook.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • madvixenmadvixen Forumite
    575 posts
    I cook chicken an awful lot in my sc and I always portion down the extra and freeze it. I then leave it in the fridge to defrost and then either whack it in the microwave or back in the sc to reheat. If you're cooking chicken then go for thighs, they become so unbelievable tender that they just fall off the bone.

Beef cheeks is another great cut for the sc, as is oxtail. You can also do a risotto in the sc which freezes really well.
  • FusspotFusspot Forumite
    327 posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Thank you for your replies, you have put my mind at rest about the chicken :)

The ready meals I buy are mainly lasagnes, pastas and ready made roast dinners or cottage pies.

Do you use your slow cooker in summer also as I have heard people say its more for winter meals but it seems a good way of saving money all year round.

My boyfriend says he could never eat meals that have been reheated but he is a funny devil anyway, whenever he comes to my flat for even a biscuit he asks me if its fresh and in date.
  • madvixenmadvixen Forumite
    575 posts
    I use my sc all year round. Yes, it's great for stews and winter food but it also cooks fajitas, soups, pastas etc. Things like a gammon joint are great for summer as you can cook them in the sc and then just serve them with a salad.
  • DawnWDawnW Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure what the difference is between a ready meal that has been cooked, and you reheat it, and something you have cooked yourself and frozen, and then reheat? Except that you know what you have made contains good ingredients, and you don't know what is in the ready meals :)

• zippychickzippychick Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    ive merged this with our slow cooker recipe thread

In my slow cooker today is a good thread.

Single moneysaver living on my own is also helpful

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• kladoinkkladoink Forumite
    17 posts
    I want to cook 2 whole chickens at once in my SC tomorrow. Can anyone advise as to how long to give it? I'm assuming they'll need longer than a single chicken?
  • Ok I am new to slow cookers and need advice for dummies!

I'm buying a frozen turkey crown from aldi

Can I do this in the slow cooker? And how exactly would I do it?
    Ie do I need liquid, how much? How long do I cook it for?

Please help!!

Thanks
  • kri5ty wrote: »
    Ok I am new to slow cookers and need advice for dummies!

I'm buying a frozen turkey crown from aldi

Can I do this in the slow cooker? And how exactly would I do it?
    Ie do I need liquid, how much? How long do I cook it for?

Please help!!

Thanks

defrost it first

Then I would put it on top of some chopped onion, maybe bit of carrot & celery. No need to add any liquid. Cook for about 7-8 hours I guess? I would prob brown in the oven for 20 minutes at the end otherwise it would be pale and not v appetising.
  • baconandcabbagebaconandcabbage Forumite
    205 posts
    ✭✭
    Do you always have to use liquid in a slow cooker? and how much to add do you fill it with liquid to the top?
    Irregular choice addict:j

You wanna hot body You wanna Bugatti
    You wanna Maserati You better work B1tch!!!!!

:A 17.04.13 :A29.09.13