Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection - Page 176

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Slow Cooker - The Recipe Collection

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.8K replies 937.6K views

Replies

• thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have any proper OS charity shops near you (i.e. ones that haven't been re-organised to High Street Standards & prices) they usually have some cookbooks & you'll often find slow-cooker (also known as crockpot or one-pot) recipe books in them.

Currently making crab-apple chutney in mine - smells divine!
    Angie

GC Nov 20 £530.61/400 - oh dear...
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 35 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Spag bol is gorgeous in a slow cooker.....just chuck in veg, meat than a cheap bolognaise sauce & leave! I freeze whatevers left for another day! We also do casseroles. ...again just throw in veg, meat & made up gravy (from granules)...if its diced lamb add dollop of mint sauce or apple sauce for pork!!
  • MrsRogersMrsRogers Forumite
    631 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I love my slow cooker and wouldn't be with out it

We love in ours
    Moroccan chicken
    Lamb hotpot
    Beef casserole
    Chili con carne
    Spaghetti Bol
    Pot roast (whole joints)
    HM soups

Go for it
    Goal - We want to be mortgages free :j

I Quit Smoking March 2010 :T
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I make a stew in mine.

I use Quorn Steak (or lamb) Style Strips, but you could substitute beef or lamb chunks

Put two tins of chopped tomatoes in the bottom of the pot.

Add chunks of potatoes, slices of carrots (I don't peel them) and chopped onions, then add meat/meat substitute.

Top up with hot water, to about 1" from the top.

Scatter on 2 to 3 desert spoons of gravy granules and stir in.

Put on lid and switch on.

Leave to cook for at least 12 hours.

I usually switch on at about 10pm, then leave till I get home from work, at about 7pm the following evening.
  • I use mine for cheap joints of meat that would otherwise require hours of oven or hob cooking. Put your meat in (you can seal it in a pan first but I don't bother), add about an inch of hot water or stock, and cook on low for 6-8hrs or high for 2-4 hours. For extra flavour you can set the meat on veg like onions, carrots, leeks etc that you've put in the bottom of the slow cooker, add some seasoning etc, then use all the veg and juices at the end to make gravy.

It might take a bit of experimentation to find out what you like to do best in your slow cooker. You can also do things like porridge, apple sauce, chutneys, rice and veg dishes in it, although for me most of those things have not been worth cleaning the pot afterwards! Keep it out on your bench if you have space - if it goes into the back of the cupboard you'll be much less likely to use it.

One Love, One Life, Let's Get Together and Be Alright :)

April GC 13.20/£300
    April
    NSDs 0/10
    CC's £255
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    9.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are plenty of websites just google slow cooking. One of the one's I use sometimes is http://crockpot365.blogspot.co.uk. Loads of recipes on there.

You can use a slow cooker for anything which requires long, slow cooking.

Denise
  • Good call. They are fantastic.
    Dont forget a simple soup is so easy.
    Also did you know that you can bake in them too!

Happy cooking.
    ~~~~~~~~Thinking outside the box~~~~~~~~~~~

Debt free in 2013
    Mortgage free in 2013 :T
  • I have used mine for mulled wine too. It takes about an hour and in this time there's no risk of boiling the alcohol away! You can leave it on low if you are having a party.

I make soups in mine just following a normal recipe though you might need to experiment with liquid quantities and keep your eye on it the first time and add hot stock if it's starting to dry out. You can blend the soup with a stick blender in the slow cooker and freeze leftovers.
  • My mum throws anything she fancies/is in the cupboards in and ends up with lovely concoctions! I've just done a sort of curry risotto in mine. It started out as a pork curry but I'd put too much water in so I threw in risotto rice to cook and soak it all up and its lovely.
  • jackyannjackyann Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Main thing to remember is that your liquid will not reduce. so you either start off with a small amount of concentrated liquid, or you reduce it at the end.
    Any cheap joint will pot roast beautifully with no / small amount of liquid.

My favourites are pork belly & beef brisket, with a lovely herb / spice rub.

If you have a very liquid / watery juice after cooking, just strain it and boil to reduce.