MFW Diary - Take 1!

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Calfuray wrote: »
    Impressive! Have they told you anything about Internet Banking? I'm getting right hand issues with left hand!

It said details would be posted out to me in 7-10? days. Normally quicker, H@lifax online banking is fairly good.
  • Calfuray
    Calfuray Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    It said details would be posted out to me in 7-10? days. Normally quicker, H@lifax online banking is fairly good.

Oh well, don't do what I did!

Agent gave me sort code and account number, told me I could go set up online banking. Off I toddled. Error! Phoned up, next agent said wait 24 hours and try again. Waited, tried again - error!
    Phoned, and 3rd agent told me because account wasn't fully set up yet it has created then cancelled two online accounts (:huh:) and he would need to send me username through post?

:o
  • edinburgher
    Options
    and he would need to send me username through post?

I think I went directly to this stop after passing go.
  • Calfuray
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    I think I went directly to this stop after passing go.

I bow to your superior knowledge :cool:
  • Calfuray
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    OP of £250 today. Normally would have been £100 for Sept and Oct, but since I missed September felt like I had to make up for the extra interest. Not sure if £50 actually covers it more or less than actual difference though. Oh well :D

Feels good to be back, felt like my diary has been a bit wibbly nonsense lately :rotfl:

Hope everyone's having a good day!

x
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Calfuray wrote: »
    I bow to your superior knowledge :cool:

I can't thank that post knowing how wrong it is :rotfl:

My diary is always a wibbly nonsense, I wouldn't worry too much.
  • Calfuray
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    I can't thank that post knowing how wrong it is :rotfl:

My diary is always a wibbly nonsense, I wouldn't worry too much.

Yours is grown-up wibbly nonsense, all about shares and indexes (indices?) and investing and :eek:
  • Calfuray
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Phoned up for settlement figure on loan, waiting on cheque to clear, then paying it off. So excited! It'll mean an extra £150 a month for OPs or savings or investing (if I ever get brave enough!) Cannot WAIT. It's only been running for a year, but it really was a drain. Can't remember if I wrote about why I took it our before.

Dinner was chinese-marinated turkey, noodles, and salad with my own honey mustard dressing. Yum yum.

Hoping to get to bank and go bounce on beds at weekend. If I can get one below £650 I will be ecstatic, but having never done the grown-up thing of buying a mattress it's a little daunting :o

Cal x
  • edinburgher
    Options
    It's only been running for a year, but it really was a drain. Can't remember if I wrote about why I took it our before.

That sounds like an invitation to ask what you took it out for! What was the loan for Cal? :D

Your mattress budget sounds very generous. Perhaps our spend of £350 is why Mrs E and I ended up with a turkey in the mattress department (sans the dressing)?

I'm sure it's theoretically possible to get a good mattress for a couple hundred pounds, but it certainly isn't easy.
  • Calfuray
    Uniform Washer
    edited 9 October 2013 at 10:23PM
    Options
    That sounds like an invitation to ask what you took it out for! What was the loan for Cal? :D

Your mattress budget sounds very generous. Perhaps our spend of £350 is why Mrs E and I ended up with a turkey in the mattress department (sans the dressing)?

I'm sure it's theoretically possible to get a good mattress for a couple hundred pounds, but it certainly isn't easy.

Ha :p I was just in a rush to watch Grand Designs!

Long story short: I wanted a new bathroom, and needed one. There was no ventilation before and only part of the wall was tiled in a very small room, which meant there was mould everywhere. I had to scrub it down with bleach very regularly but it kept coming back. Since I have really bad asthma, needed to get it sorted. I saved like a demon, and every month bought a new *thing* - i.e. sink one month, taps the next etc.

Then got a few quotes in, and prices came in at what I thought was too high considering I had all the materials. Stupidly listened to friends who said prices were ridiculous etc, and friend's dad offered to do it for a third of the price. I'm sure you can guess what happened next.

Ultimately, it resulted in 'work' being done from Feb through to Oct by this guy. In October when it became clear that he wasn't coming back, we had to get the bathroom ripped out and redone urgently due to leaks, thank goodness we had a good enough credit rating to get the loan quickly. In the end, all we could save of the previous work was the shower screen and two taps. I could write a whole essay on the problems, but I'll stop before I get myself in trouble.

So - hence loan, and we basically ended up paying for it twice.

Mattress - like I said, I'm not sure! I'm hoping to set aside £650 (it is a king) and OP anything left over. Plan is to try some this weekend (right now it is toss-up between pocket v.s. memory foam) and then once we have some candidates hopefully search online for reviews and price compare? :huh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure