MFW Diary - Take 1!

Options

Comments

• Calfuray
    Calfuray Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Thanks FS. Feeling better, cause.... it's my birthday! I am now 23 :eek:

OH got me a satnav :rotfl: To be fair, I have wanted one for ages and I'm really bad at getting lost. And he tried to tie a bow, it was cute :rotfl:

Going to bed now, going out for a meal tomorrow - today actually! Excited :D

Cal x
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Happy Birthday :T
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • skint_spice
    skint_spice Posts: 12,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    :bdaycake:Happy birthday hope you enjoy your meal.
    Mortgage End Date: Apr 36/Aiming for Aug 28/Current Aug  35

Mortgage OP 2024 £2400/7000

Mortgage balance: £52212

• Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Happy birthday, _party_ have a good day, Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Mrs_Money_Penny
    Options
    Happy Birthday enjoy your day.
    2024 Decluttering 3273 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
  • toerag33
    toerag33 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    :bdaycake:_party_

:beer: Happy birthday celebrate and enjoy. :beer:

toerag33
  • Calfuray
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Thanks GG, SS, Tilly, Mrs Money Penny (love the name!) and toerag (nice to see you delurk :) )
    Thanks for all the cakes too, nom!

OH woke me up this morning with pancakes and nutella, with squirty cream on top writing '23'. Made me laugh so much I had a coughing fit. Very sweet and most unlike him!

Off to bank and then out for late lunch since we had late breakfast. Excited!

x
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,469 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks FS. Feeling better, cause.... it's my birthday! I am now 23

Many happy returns :beer:
  • Calfuray
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Okay! After that lovely late lunch, I've not needed dinner since I'm still stuffed!

So, what does an MSE bday girl do on the evening of her birthday? Sets about researching savings accounts and interest rates of course!

I have now received cheque with inheritance money. Once I have paid off existing loan from bathroom debacle and bought a new mattress (:rotfl:) we will have roughly 11.5k left.

I have opened up a SpanishBankNumber account (shall we say ;)) for the 3% interest and cashback on bills, cashback I've worked out should be over a £5. The bulk of the money will sit there, then that shall drip-feed a FD regular saver paying 6% at £300 a month. The money shuffle will also go through a H@lifax Rewards account for the £5 a month.

Confused yet?

OH wasn't too hot about it, said it was getting a bit complicated. I've told him all he has to do is have a standing order to Spanish to cover bills, then he can have his own account as normal, I will handle everything else. So that's him happy again :D

In reality, although it sounds complicated, it's not.

Wages come into N@tionwide. SO comes from both NW accounts to Spanish bank next day. Spanish bank has inheritance in there as buffer in case of date issues. SO goes to H@lifax. H@lifax has two fixed DDs coming out (i.e. tv license etc) so that it cannot go overdrawn. Money comes out H@lifax (minus money needed to cover DDs) and goes to FD. More money siphoned off for FD regular saver. Then completes cycle by going back to Spanish bank.

Simples! In reality, will require careful set-up of SOs, attention to dates and checking of accounts. I think it can be done, and will net £60 from H@lifax and around £400 from the drip-feeding technique .

So I'll take an extra £500 a year please! Have been looking at links Ed gave me for investing, but not comfortable doing this until I have done a lot more research, so this is the setup for now to beat inflation.

Does anyone have any mattress recommendations? :o
  • toerag33
    toerag33 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Options
    Costco - look at on-line as well.

Glad you have had a special day.

xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing