PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Options

Comments

• Tawny75
    Tawny75 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    I am almost embarrassed to ask for advice as my little niggle seems so very trivial but here goes.

DD(13) bought her interim school report home from school yesterday, she is graded well in all her subjects and her attitude to learning is graded at 1-outstanding in all but one subject In ICT she has been given an attitude to learning grade of 3 which is 'inconsistent'. I spoke to her about it yesterday but she says she can't understand it as she is near the top of her class. This is reflected in her Grade of 6a.

Am I being 'that' parent if I contact the school and ask them to look into how she can improve her attitude in this class? For background, in year 7 and 8 she always had a score of 1 - outstanding in ICT.
    I promise that I will do my best.....
  • stiltwalker
    stiltwalker Posts: 1,319 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 November 2012 at 2:40PM
    Options
    Go get 'em kidcat!

PS - if you want to borrow Lyn's pointy stick sharpener first feel free! x

ETA: Tawny - not niggle too trivial. For me it would come down to attitude, is your DD upset by this grade, mystified (genuinely) or has she brushed it off? If upset or mystified I would be inclined to contact school for further clarification as much for her benefit as for being 'that parent'. It seems out of place if she's committed in all other subjects and may be worth a query, if not now then certainly at the next parent's evening.

I certainly don't mean to cast nastertiums or anything so please do not take offence (and also seems less likely from the excellent score in all other subjects) but it is also perfectly possible to be up near the top of the class without putting the required effort in as I can testify from my own schooldays as a bright but deeply wilful and occasionally lazy (in the subjects I hated) student. I think I managed to hand in all of 3 maths homeworks over the entire 2 years of my maths GCSE years yet came out with an A (before they added stars) I'm not sure I would have merited even a 3 for inconsisent and I'm sure my teacher would have rated me whatever the lowest score is for being downright lazy.
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tawny - definitely call and see whats going on, at DS14 school (well the one he is registered with) a 3 automatically excludes you from treats, trips and other good stuff so its worth checking.
    Ds14 got a 3 on one of his scores last year and when I questioned the teacher she said that it was as his work wasnt up to his MEG, I pointed out that it hardly helped the kids who were struggling.

I have always said that a 3 or below should warrant a call to a parent to discuss the reasoning and what potentially can be done to improve it.

Odds are in your DD case its a typo though :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    HELEN - You only have to ask and it will wing its way to you!!!!!

KIDCAT - DO IT!!!!!!! and take no prisoners!!!!

MAR - That is the most positive, hopeful statement I've heard in many a long year - Thanks Pet.

So many of us have sadness and stress today, and are dealing with very difficult situations that need all their strength, could I take it upon myself to issue a general appology to anyone who feels they have been offended in the past by any of the posts any of us have made? We all benefit from the comradeship warmth,support,cheering up ,sharing joys and sadness of each and every one of us, and we all need each other to just be there. Once in a while someone does pick up a grievance and pull it into public view, so please, for once and all can I say Sorry to anyone hurt and please, let's all go forward from here on a positive note?

I hope that's not overstepping the mark, but today is hard for so many of us, and I'd like it to lighten a little if at all possible, Cheers Lyn x.
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Options
    I would contact them Tawny, and say it seems out of sync.
  • fattybumble85
    Options
    kidcat wrote: »
    Oh please dont stir it all up again, not today, we are all so down and need to just be there for each other pulling together not ripping each other apart.
    I dont want to be rude but lets please let it be buried now.

Please sit with us, and lets get through this incredibly hard week together

Sorry but I think its extremely unfair the way he has been treated on this forum. Is he the unofficial thread punch bag or something? All that nastiness before which I won't bring up, and then when he posts about something else entirely, someone else jumps down his throat. Fair enough if you don't like someone or agree with their postings, there are certain posts on the boards which I hate but I just skim over them. I certainly wouldn't make it public whether I had used the ignore button on someone.

If its true that we should all be here for each other then include each other, ie everyone. People have proclaimed this to be a lifeline when struggling - guess thats only true if you have 20 odd people thanking your every post, regardless. I read but don't tend to post, for the same reasons given by other Old Style posters who have retreated back to other threads. I'll go back to lurking now. I've said my piece.
  • Tawny75
    Tawny75 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments, I have emailed her form tutor and asked him to speak to her ICT teachers and see what they mean. I will keep you posted :)
    I promise that I will do my best.....
  • meme30
    meme30 Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Meme you're very wise pet, and you see life as I do - but I haven't had the level of illness and loss that you have. Now that I'm older I tend to be more impartial which makes it easier. I know there's another place and life after this one and I look on this life as the ante-natal ward LOL - and we're all sat in beds with our bumps, waiting our turn to go upstairs to a nicer ward :D

:rotfl:
    Sorry Mar I'm not going through labour again! Not for anything! :rotfl:
    I'm just happy to pass over and cuddle my Great-Granny who has been waiting a long time for me to catch her up.:)

fattybumbles85:-I understand how you feel about this. Everyone should have a voice here. Yes, sometimes the thread sounds very smug and exclusive and yes, sometimes people are downright rude. Like you I skim the posts of the rude and smug people and prefer to read what the 'genuine' people write here. I do think that we, on the whole, are fairly civilised in our posts and hopefully the thread will benefit from the more tolerant posters in the future. We can only hope.:)

Tawny:- You will feel better when you get an explanation.:)

Byatt:- I bet you are dog nursing! I hope Bess is doing ok today.

Kidcat:- I just realised I have always read your name as Kitkat! Sorry, it's a craving chocolate thing!
    Give us the strength to encounter that which is to come, that we may be brave in peril, constant in tribulation, temparate in wrath, and in all changes of fortune, and down to the gates of death, loyal and loving to one another.”
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    {HUG} a big hug for everyone, seeing as it one of 'those' day's, and I'v stuck the kettle on and took a fruit cake out of the oven so help yourselve's, there's tea,coffe, drinking chocolate and oxo's, and if you don't like fruit cake look in the cupboard above for the biccie's.
    £71.93/ £180.00
  • meme30
    meme30 Posts: 534 Forumite
    Options
    Boultdj:-Bless you, I am low-carbing at the moment but am planning a tin of chocolates and a half a Christmas cake binge in a few weeks time! :eek::rotfl:
    I'll have a cup of English Breakfast off you though! Thank you.:)
    Give us the strength to encounter that which is to come, that we may be brave in peril, constant in tribulation, temparate in wrath, and in all changes of fortune, and down to the gates of death, loyal and loving to one another.”
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure