PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

'supporting each other through really tough times'

Options

Comments

• missrlr
    missrlr Posts: 2,192 Forumite
    Options
    Oh snotty noses and flue bug-ridden peeps, hugs. I have a failsafe for sleeping with a stinky cold:
    In day take paracetamol in temp is up also contact 400 if mucus pouring from orifices is frowned upon or you are flying.
    Obtain menthol crystals OTC
    Obtain contact 400 from OTC pharmacy.
    Steam head with ,method crystals in water
    Take contact 400 1 hour before bed and follow 30 mins later with paracetamol and either couple large glasses vino or super strength toddy x 2
    After first glass put hot water bottle in bed and make sure lots of pillows.
    Put few crystals menthol into bowl hot water and steam head again
    Drink second glass vino or toddy
    After second glass got to bed, propped on pillows, all drugs now kicking in, sleep will be combination of booze and being able to breathe.
    Warning the menthol head steaming bit will result in mucus beyond belief pouring out of your nose. But it is worth it
    Also warning DON'T USE TOO MANY MENTHOLS CRYSTALS THEY ARE POTENT,!!,!,!
    Start info Dec11 :eek:
    H@lifax [STRIKE]£13813.45[/STRIKE] paid Sep14 paid 23 months early :T
    Mortgage [STRIKE]£206400[/STRIKE] :eek: £199750 Mortgage £112500
    B@rclays £[STRIKE]25000[/STRIKE] paid 4 years 5 months early. S@ntander £[STRIKE]9300[/STRIKE] paid 2 years 2 months early
    2013 8lb lost 2014 need to lose 14lb. Lost 4 so far!;)
  • mama67
    mama67 Posts: 1,367 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Byatt and anyone else who is unsure;
    I exchanged my Tosco vouchers instore for frozen food and also got quite a few bogof deals as well so it made the "money" go even further.

I had £35 pounds worth of vouchers, doubled them up and then got approx £90 worth of frozen stuff with the bogofs, this did include the "C" turkey and some treat bits for "C", but the majority is just to fill the freezer so we can eat from there, as it is basically free food, and as they say "every little helps"; especially with 2 permanently ravenous teen boys.

hth
    My self & hubby; 2 sons (28 & 25). Now also a daughter (36). Eldest son has his own house with partner & her 2 children (10 & 8)
    Youngest looking to buy a house end of 2024.
    Daughter married with 3 boys (11, 8 & 4).
    My mother always served up leftovers we never knew what the original meal was. - Tracey Ulman
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    For those poorlies with colds, flu and general damp nosedness I can heartily recommend Balsam Tissues. I know they are more expensive than ordinary ones but, I've never gone through the gamut of a cold before and come out the other side without a red ,sore and peely nose. For sheer lack of discomfort, they are worth every penny spent!!! I used Sainsbugs own, but I'm sure they would all work, Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • Kittikins
    Kittikins Posts: 5,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bossymoo wrote: »
    That annoys me too! I've only had flu twice and both times I couldn't lift my head for days. I've had a flu jab the last couple of years and oddly enough it seems to ward off most coughs and colds too! :T

Flipping flu jabs, I had one again this year and am now suffering with my third horrible cold of the season :( From what I remember, I had one last year as well and then spent the whole Christmas period in bed unable to get up, thankfully DD and I were at my parents so I could 'die' and they kept her very nicely entertained!

But, in the flu jab's defence, I have just been made redundant (ongoing stress since June and finally started my first day of unemployment today), so maybe it's the stress coming out?!?

Either way, I'm grumpy and snotty, lol.
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    Oooh Nooooo....the back tooth I had root canal work on in March has just broken in two places . I might have to wait till Tuesday before I can get in to see the dentist...I hate having dental work done! Full weekend of eating protein shakes and soup methinks.....
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    ginnyknit wrote: »
    I told OH I felt a bit 'wallaby' the other night when I meant wobbly, so that will stick now. I inherited some robins for the Christmas tree that were a bit suspect so now we have to have the Christmas vultures every year. :) I love the silly things families say.
    We have a Christmas vulture too. It's a robin about the size of a small football which likes to live on the fireplace every December!
    katieowl wrote: »
    OMG :rotfl: I have a new 'word' LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. Vultures :rotfl:

I already speak my own language, partly because of the kids, sometimes I get some very strange looks. Sometimes I don't even realise I've substitued 'my' word for the real one. A current favorite is Marshwiggles, for marshmallows. Pretty sure I've asked if people want marshwiggles on their hot choc at work....:o

Kate
    I was just watching a Marshwiggle last night! On The Silver Chair - One of the Narnia stories made into 6 episodes by the BBC a few years ago.
    mardatha wrote: »
    And finally :D - does anybody else love the square plates in Ikea? Thin cream square plates and even square porridge bowls!! I fell in love and I wnat them - £3.50 each but there's only the two of us....;)
    I was looking at some non-OS i.e. 'too expensive' square plates the other week when we were out shopping and I just happened to mention to my Mam that I thought they were nice and I'd wondered about getting something new for Christmas day instead of our old worn plates. Well, the next time we went to Mam & Dad's, you've guessed it, she shows me proudly all her new plates for Sunday dinner! Square ones from IKEA! I'm not that bothered really. I suppose it's a sort of backhanded compliment. I think I'll go and buy some round ones with a gold edging instead. :D
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Options
    On the mixed up words..I once told my husband I had just seen an old lady riding ''side salad'' on the back of a vespa scooter LOL

At the wedding ceremony my sister in law swore she would take my brother to be her ''awful wedded husband'......I was laughing so much I had to go outside the office
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,796 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    For those poorlies with colds, flu and general damp nosedness I can heartily recommend Balsam Tissues. I know they are more expensive than ordinary ones but, I've never gone through the gamut of a cold before and come out the other side without a red ,sore and peely nose. For sheer lack of discomfort, they are worth every penny spent!!! I used Sainsbugs own, but I'm sure they would all work, Cheers Lyn xxx.
    Yes I would agree with you MrsLW. My DH had a bad cold a few weeks ago and he went through a few boxes of Balsam Tissues but they were worth the extra money.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    Quickie for sore noses - expensive salve called Happynose, or try old fashioned vaseline lip salve spread over sore area. Seems to water-proof.:wave:
  • Hardup_Hester
    Options
    Sounds like a good idea Mar.
    Our funny family words include Squiddle for squirrel, callots for carrots & Diddyanne instead of Diane.
    Bossymoo, we must be related, we call Grandpa's, Bamps.
    Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure