MSE News: EDF to raise energy prices by a massive 10.8%

Comments

• amiehall
    amiehall Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    They're on a prepayment meter :( Yes this price rise does apply to you I'm afraid.
    Sealed Pot Challenge #239
    Virtual Sealed Pot #131
    Save 12k in 2014 #98 £3690/£6000
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    sorry jobdone1, having spent 3 weeks back and forth to hospital visiting twice a day i saw very little TV/papers, what with juggling full time job and looking after family too. I know i could of saved a load of money, but circumstances prevented me having a real go at it til now.

Just asking advice from today
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    EDF chief exeq should come to this forum to explain why they have made two further changes to the blue plus in two months with a staggering increase and why they have raised prices on their standered tarriff above the other big four especially as they have a very poor customer service rateing.
  • jobdone1
    britishboy wrote: »
    sorry jobdone1, having spent 3 weeks back and forth to hospital visiting twice a day i saw very little TV/papers, what with juggling full time job and looking after family too. I know i could of saved a load of money, but circumstances prevented me having a real go at it til now.

Just asking advice from today

best advice is do a comparision i find energy helpline the most frendly to use try to be as accurate as you can and see who you should switch with to save yourself money.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,734 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    EDF chief exec will be far too busy sipping Bollinger on his private yacht along with British Gas chief exec and Scottish Power chief exec moored in the med somewhere laughing at all the 'plebs' back home paying for their luxurious fat-cat lifestyles
  • bobstheboy wrote: »
    The Blue May 2014 deal has gone, replaced by Blue March 2015, much more expensive.

I'm so glad I took Martin's advice and fixed it a month ago.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Pandilex wrote: »
    I literally just switched to EDF to avoid massive increases from my old supplier, I wonder if this price increase will affect me ?!

Only if you switched to a variable tariff.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • wantanswers
    wantanswers Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Early 2012:

The Government know households across the country have faced a tough winter and they want to see companies passing cost reductions on to customers.

Since the beginning of this year, some of the smaller energy companies and the Big 6 have announced price reductions. This followed price rises in Autumn 2011, driven by rising international fossil fuel prices.

While the Government can't control volatile world energy prices, they can help householders control their bills by insulating our homes and shopping around for the best energy deal in the market.

The Government are therefore pleased that consumer groups, Ofgem and suppliers were able to sign up to the joint Check, Switch, Insulate to Save campaign, to help consumers save money this winter.

CHECK if there’s a cheaper way to pay – consumers could save the most money by paying by direct debit, or moving to an online or dual fuel tariff. Monthly direct debit is on average £100 cheaper per year than paying by cash or cheque. If consumers pay by cash or cheque, their suppliers will have written to them to let them know if they can offer them a cheaper deal.

SWITCH to a cheaper energy tariff or energy firm – consumers may be able to save up to £200 off their annual bill by shopping around for a different supplier, particularly if they have never changed energy firm. An accredited switching website or phone line can help them to find the best deal - with a wider range of tariff offers which may give a better saving than switching on the doorstep. Consumers can also contact energy suppliers directly and INSULATE your home – every supplier is offering free or cut price deals for loft insulation, cavity wall insulation and other measures. Full loft and cavity wall insulation could help stop homes leaking heat and save consumers more than £100 per year on their energy bill to SAVE money off your energy bill and put it back into your pocket.

The Government will also be launching the Green Deal this year to help even more households save money through a greater range of energy efficiency measures. The Government is giving the regulator Ofgem more teeth, and both the Government and Ofgem are working to boost transparency in billing, simplify tariffs and increase competition in the energy market to help keep prices down.

Government policies are focussed on helping get us off the fossil fuel hook, keeping the lights on in the cheapest, cleanest way, to make sure households get the best deal in the long term as well.

Over the next ten years, we will need £110 billion of investment in electricity plants and networks and another £90 billion of investment in other infrastructure to replace aging plant and avoid the risk of blackouts.

And if we don’t invest now to reduce both our energy use and our dependence on fossil fuels in the long term, if we have to rely on ever more expensive imports and leave ourselves at the mercy of international oil and gas prices, the impact on bills will be worse, the future for our energy security far bleaker.

That is why the Government’s proposals to reform the electricity market will deliver the best deal for Britain and for consumers: getting us off the hook of relying on imported oil and gas by creating a greener, cleaner and ultimately cheaper mix of electricity sources right here in the UK; nurturing a new generation of power sources including renewables, new nuclear, and carbon capture and storage, bringing new jobs and creating new expertise in the UK workforce.

Competition is also vital to keeping bills as low as possible for consumers. Opening up the market to new entrants will encourage competition to ensure consumers are getting the best deal. The Government have therefore announced they are cutting red tape for small energy suppliers by increasing the customer number threshold from 50,000 to 250,000 for mandatory participation in two Government schemes – the Community Energy Saving Programme and the Carbon Emissions Reduction Target. This is designed to give small suppliers a leg up so consumers have more choice, and the Government are working with Ofgem to remove barriers to new energy companies wanting to get into the market.

Artificially reducing retail prices to levels below the competitive levels would be unsustainable, discourage investment in the low carbon infrastructure we require and put at risk the Government’s climate change objectives. What matters is that prices are set in a competitive market as a result of rivalry among a range of suppliers.

Competition is vital to keeping bills as low as possible. Ofgem continues working to reduce barriers to entering the retail market and is closely monitoring the wholesale market.

I hope this is helpful.

Yours sincerely,

John McCulley

Happy Days!!!!! :(:(:(
  • jobdone1
    Competition is vital to keeping bills as low as possible. Ofgem continues working to reduce barriers to entering the retail market and is closely monitoring the wholesale market.

I hope this is helpful.

Yours sincerely,

John McCulley

Happy Days!!!!! :(:(:([/QUOTE]

This is why ofgem has allowed edf energy to minipulate all its tarriffs in the last two months and as said its fixed tarriff raise it 19% approx and then wack up its standerd by 10.8% today.

We demand answers and get lies and the other crap about insulate your home etc etc.

The goverment are out of touch and not intrested in us ordinary " plebs ". So until someone gives a s**t we are not all in it together.
  • wantanswers
    wantanswers Posts: 3,220 Forumite
    Oh, and do you know what really gets my back up in amongst all this crap jobdone1.....

I've recently been informed that some local 'chairs' (2) are claiming up to £12,000 per annum as clothing allowance, wonder if they buy nice warm coats with their allowance whilst they sit in their little limousines ?

Old people are dying jobdone1 and this is going on under our very noses daily!!! :(:(:(:(

Someone needs to get a grip!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport