Making chicken feed of my mortgage

Options

Comments

• misscousinitt
    Options
    Happy new year MWC!

Recipes sound lovely as always and what a great place to spend Christmas!

All the best for 2017.

MCI x
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • muddywhitechicken
    Options
    I hope everyone is having a good weekend. Mr MWC has abandoned me again... he's in Scotland (visiting school friends today, family tomorrow, working Monday to Thursday). I'm having a fairly lazy day but I am halfway through making the first batch of marmalade for my 2017 Christmas hampers :xmassmile

We still haven't heard back from the first kitchen designer :mad: We met with a second designer yesterday and a follow-up meeting is arranged for the end of the month. I've lost several hours to pinterest looking for inspiration...

I have a chap coming round tomorrow morning to give me a quote for restoring the parquet floor in our living room. It's not too bad so fingers crossed it won't be too expensive to repair a couple of blocks, sand, fill and finish.

In financial news this week: we received a share dividend and the payment from MM for Mr MWC's CDs and DVDs :T
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Mortgage-free: January 2021
    Retired: June 2022 (186 months early!)
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Are you still aiming to be free of the mortgage by the end of 2018? Or do you think it will be earlier?
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • muddywhitechicken
    muddywhitechicken Posts: 3,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2017 at 10:45PM
    Options
    Are you still aiming to be free of the mortgage by the end of 2018? Or do you think it will be earlier?

Unfortunately not apple :( What with the large lump sum we invested last year, the additional monthly pension contributions and the home improvements, mortage overpayments have been seriously curtailed and the spreadsheet now says September 2026 :eek:
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    We'll not make it either - but not because of using the money for noble, long-term projects like you guys. Simply a massive drop in income - we now bring in less than we used to overpay by! However, the pay-off (oops) is that dh is around much more and we have a better work/life balance. We must have it paid off by august 2023, as per the terms, which requires a steady 1/3+ of current income going towards it.

But as 2016, and especially the latter part, has shown me, circumstances can change. And overnight.

I do get the feeling that you will soon be tweaking that spreadsheet and getting rid of it earlier...
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bet you come in earlier than 2026, MWC!

And its marmalade season ... not a chance I'm going to be able to do stuff, I really thought I would this year, I have fond memories of it. Never mind, next year.

Hope you can recharge your batteries with your lazy day :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • VintageHistorian
    Options
    Pinterest eats SO much time! You go for a little 5 minute browse and then blink and it turns out you've been on it for an hour XD
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Total overpayments in 2021 - £901.28!
  • muddywhitechicken
    muddywhitechicken Posts: 3,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 January 2017 at 11:18PM
    Options
    There was a little green egg in the nest box this morning for the first time in months :D Well done Miss Hattie - all 6 chooks are laying now :T

I've received the first of 2 quotes for sanding and finishing the parquet flooring in the living room and the floorboards in dining room and conservatory. £1,600 _pale_ Unfortunately Mr MWC can't be trusted to DIY it as in our last house he a) didn't attach the bag properly and covered EVERYTHING in sawdust and b) sanded over the power cable!

I needed 2 large G&Ts (and a box of chocolates :o) to calm my nerves this evening after I was nearly wiped out on the dual carriageway at 70 mph :eek:
    I sometimes think that my little Fiat 500 has an invisibility cloak :(
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Hope the G&Ts did the trick.

We are off to solicitors tomorrow to sign stuff - I'll ping you when I'm back and we can sort out some dates for seeing the sun.

Tilly xxx
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • apple_muncher
    Options
    I am very glad that the wipe out was only a 'nearly' and that you are here to tell the tale, MWC.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback