Organic food in supermarkets

Options

Comments

• Miroslav
    Miroslav Posts: 6,193 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Janeyb777 wrote: »
    Please is anyone able to let me know if these cornflakes are GM? I can't tolerate the Dove Farm ones as they seem to have some sort of barley syrup preservative. Also Natures Path cereals are good but full of sugar :(

Any help appreciated.

From N&Y website

• No GM ingredients – not enough is known about possible long-term implications

Can't see anything about GM free for the particular product though.
    Kirri wrote: »
    Anyone who buys from Riverford and is anti hunting may want to have a read of what's going on on Facebook on both the Riverford page and the Devon Hunt Sabs page particularly concerning Riverford dairy. Obviously as this is a shopping thread, it's not an argument to get into on here but for anyone interested in ethical shopping this may be something some are interested in reading more about.

Miroslav - how have you been getting on with your org shopping, has it got any easier? I had all mine delivered to the door by Ocado/A&C yesterday.

Edwardia - Goodlife products delisted at Ocado!

Already emailed Riverford to share my disgust.

I wish them well in their future as a supplier, but whilst they have connections to hunting, I will not be going to them, just like I avoid Nestle etc

I have my first A&C due to be delivered Thursday thanks to Gillby1.

Bought various at Tesco and looking at Sainsbury's as I have £20 off my first £60 spend online.

Ocado i've yet to look at, due to lack of time, but I will do.

You must be a veteran at this by now - i'm still learning!
    Beckyy wrote: »
    I wish Riverford/Abel&Cole delivered to my area, it's a long way off ever happening though.

I had to stop our local organic veg box because the quality went downhill and we were getting the same things over and over, most of which weren't all that fresh.

I'm finding a lot of organic veg from supermarkets disappointing, spending a fortune on 3 onions, 1 of which is rotten when you open them anyway... yet a bag of value onions costs half and much and you get 3 times more.

Maybe it'll improve more with time? I hope so anyway as it's proving quite hard, and really expensive to even attempt to go/stay organic.

Are their no other options?

You must live out in the sticks?

It is more expensive and tough than 'normal' shopping, but worth it in the end.
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Years ago when I started buying organic, I bought a book to find out where was best to go! I found the book at my parents' house in the summer! It's a lot easier now though with all the online shopping :D Living in London helps too, I had a great org indie shop within walking distance as well where I was living at the time.

and yes ditto re Riverford.

Good luck with first A&C order - did you just go for fruit and veg or were you tempted by all the other goodies?! They have very good customer services if you get any issues with a delivery.

I had more trouble when starting out finding org/natural toiletries that were effective than food though!

There was a really good new Ocado offer I read about (on here I think) the other day, can't remember where though but min £40 and free smart pass for a year I think, well worth it. If I see the link again I'll stick it up, I can't remember where I read it.
  • Miroslav
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kirri wrote: »
    Years ago when I started buying organic, I bought a book to find out where was best to go! I found the book at my parents' house in the summer! It's a lot easier now though with all the online shopping :D Living in London helps too, I had a great org indie shop within walking distance as well where I was living at the time.

and yes ditto re Riverford.

Good luck with first A&C order - did you just go for fruit and veg or were you tempted by all the other goodies?! They have very good customer services if you get any issues with a delivery.

I had more trouble when starting out finding org/natural toiletries that were effective than food though!

There was a really good new Ocado offer I read about (on here I think) the other day, can't remember where though but min £40 and free smart pass for a year I think, well worth it. If I see the link again I'll stick it up, I can't remember where I read it.

I will look for some books - one of my work places has a book department so will have a sneaky look to see if we have anything.

I live in Somerset. You would have thought we would have lots of good places. We have a farmers market once a month but not a lot where I am - possibly is a little further into the sticks.

I just went for fruit and veg as it was a free box to start with. Then will try something else and see how I get on. Hopefully won't need Customer Services but it's good to know they are helpful.

Yes, toiletries will be quite hard I would imagine. Not many of the other toiletries are that effective anyway, so a smaller market will be difficult to find a good egg as it were.

I've seen a few Ocado offers - 20% off, £10 off etc etc, but quite high spends needed. If they could knock it down to £40-£50 spend, i'd give it a go as don't want to spend too much without knowing the quality first.
  • Miroslav
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 October 2014 at 11:25AM
    Options
    Does anybody know what time Abel & Cole deliver until?

Says on their site that they start delivering at 4am :eek:

EDIT - it just arrived - timing!

Will have a good look at it (and taste!)

Also have a Veg Box Companion book.
  • Gillby1
    Gillby1 Posts: 659 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Kirri, which organic toiletries do you use? Thanks!

Gilly
    Debt free date: October 2006 :money:
  • smallblueplanet
    Options
    Gillby1 wrote: »
    Kirri, which organic toiletries do you use? Thanks!

Gilly

Weleda do some very nice stuff. :)
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Miroslav wrote: »

You must live out in the sticks?

NE Scotland, most of the companies are based in England, or charge a massive amount to deliver to us.Local produce isn't consistent, so supermarkets are one of the only options unless I travel much further away for things.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been with A and C for around a year now but only autumn/winter/early spring as my allotment is productive. I have lots of home grown squash etc so liked the facility of opting out of certain veg. Anyway I am just fancying a change so will give riverford a try next week, having used them in the distant past. Is there anything you particularly like from riverford that you would recommend trying? I am getting the fruit box and adding a few things to that. I notice that they are doing kefir, interesting as my hubbie makes that and tbh it is a bit of a chore, so I would quite like to buy it on a regular basis, having frozen some of his grains first, just in case. I have ordered some to try

Yes miroslav, somerset is where a lot is produced but hard to buy locally. I have had a lot from these people in the past and was always reliable. Just look for organic though
    http://www.localfooddirect.co.uk/
  • Hapshade
    Hapshade Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Finally had my first Ocado delivery a couple of weeks ago, and they were really good. It was mostly frozen and canned items but they brought it up my kitchen on the third floor of my building. Couldn't fault them. No substitutions either and all organic.

They seem quite generous with the offers for new people too. That first order was £20 off a £60 shop and the next one I get a free £15 'weekly essentials bundle' whatever that entails, as well as a free smart pass until January.

For now I'm using them for the frozen/canned stuff once a month and Sainsbury's/independent for fresh items. I'd get delivery from the big supermarkets but from what I understand they're still sourcing from local stores rather than directly from distribution centres and around here there isn't that much beyond token fresh items.

Haven't tried A&C but did notice they upped the minimum order from £10 to £12.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure