Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries» Gone Off!

Organic food in supermarkets - Page 285

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Organic food in supermarkets

edited 10 October 2012 at 6:25PM in Gone Off!
2.9K replies 227.4K views

Replies

• edited 20 January 2015 at 10:28PM
    Tammy2Tammy2 Forumite
    284 posts
    Debt-free and Proud! PPI Party Pooper
    edited 20 January 2015 at 10:28PM
    I try to buy organic when possible, but since going primal our food bills have soared! So, I buy mostly free range from Waitrose. At least with Waitrose I know that even the non organic meat has not been fed GMOs (Sainsbury's and M&S removed this promise in late 2014).

Because of allergies we are only able to have goat or sheep dairy and organic is not readily available or very, very expensive.

Veg wise I grab bargains from the organic sections of both Waitrose and Sainsbury's when I see them. But we go through so much I can't see how we'd afford it at standard organic supermarket prices.

Once my new freezer is in place (it is bought but still in the hall in its packaging) I will investigate a local organic meat and veg supplier. From their website the prices look competitive. All frozen meat though, which I'm not used to. I'm hoping we an come to some agreement re veg. :fingerscrossed:
    To Do 2015
    Claim back PPI & packaged bank account fees
    Take (further) first steps in investing (S&S ISA)
    Start saving for the children
    Start a business
    + £2015 in 2015 from home / £5026.21
  • EdwardiaEdwardia Forumite
    9.2K posts
    Hi there Tammy2 !

I low carb - I try to eat Paleo, but with a gluten-free carb loving OH that's not always possible.

New Zealand is a GM free country so I buy NZ lamb chops from Lidl and Sainsbury's when available. Also, I got some great NZ frozen venison from Aldi recently. (didn't think much of the store tho)

Aldi and Lidl have some cheap organic veg, so do Morrisons and ASDA but it can be hit and miss whether they have them. ASDA quality is really good.

Sainsbury's has loads of organic stuff, more than Waitrose now. I find their organic meat a bit tough.

Abel & Cole is known for veg boxes but you can order what you like as long as it meets the minimum order which I think is 12.50ish and delivery is 1.99 IIRC The chicken carcasses are great value for stews/stock/soup and the game is great.

I buy wild fish (tinned and frozen included).
  • I use a mix of Abel & Cole, Sainsbury's & M&S. Get as much as I can from A&C and enjoy eating seasonally, but use the others for things A&C don't stock.
    9.2K posts
    My local Costcutter has morphed into a Nisa local and shoved a leaflet through my door.

Not organic but additive free offers 26/01 - 15/02:

Birds Eye potato waffles 50% off at 99p - and 18 fewer additives than McDonald's fries !
    Vita Coco coconut water 330ml was 1.69 now £1
    Evian 2L was £1 now 75p
    Princes tuna chunks in brine or sunflower oil 4 x 160g was £6 now 3.50
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lots of Ecover offers in Sainsburys at the mo.

A&C have some new boxes - ie soup etc @ £12.50, interesting mix of ingredients.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Tammy2Tammy2 Forumite
    284 posts
    Debt-free and Proud! PPI Party Pooper
    Edwardia wrote: »
    Hi there Tammy2 !

I low carb - I try to eat Paleo, but with a gluten-free carb loving OH that's not always possible.

New Zealand is a GM free country so I buy NZ lamb chops from Lidl and Sainsbury's when available. Also, I got some great NZ frozen venison from Aldi recently. (didn't think much of the store tho)

Aldi and Lidl have some cheap organic veg, so do Morrisons and ASDA but it can be hit and miss whether they have them. ASDA quality is really good.

Sainsbury's has loads of organic stuff, more than Waitrose now. I find their organic meat a bit tough.

Abel & Cole is known for veg boxes but you can order what you like as long as it meets the minimum order which I think is 12.50ish and delivery is 1.99 IIRC The chicken carcasses are great value for stews/stock/soup and the game is great.

I buy wild fish (tinned and frozen included).

Thanks Edwardia, I didn't know that about New Zealand :)

I used to get an Abel & Cole Veg Box every week, and meat occasionally too. Hadn't really thought about just ordering meat, but I'll have a look. Used to love the partridge! Will look out for the carcasses too. :)
    To Do 2015
    Claim back PPI & packaged bank account fees
    Take (further) first steps in investing (S&S ISA)
    Start saving for the children
    Start a business
    + £2015 in 2015 from home / £5026.21
  • Edwardia wrote: »
    Birds Eye potato waffles 50% off at 99p - and 18 fewer additives than McDonald's fries !

To be fair, McDonalds UK is a lot better in that regard than McDonalds USA.
    UK Fries:
    Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Sunflower, Rapeseed), Dextrose (only added at beginning of the potato season).

Prepared in the restaurants using a non-hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Salt is added after cooking.
    USA Fries:
    Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*, Citric Acid [Preservative]), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt.

Prepared in Vegetable Oil: Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil with TBHQ and Citric Acid added to preserve freshness.

Dimethylpolysiloxane added as an antifoaming agent.

*Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients.
    9.2K posts
    Sainsbury's today with my mother and got some yellow stickered organic sweet potatoes and bananas :j

Noticed some yellow stickered Sainsbury's Taste The Difference wild Scottish diced venison reduced to 2.34 so grabbed a few packs.

They've got Deliciously Ella, the cook book for 9.99 so I bought that for my mother.

Home Bargains too and they've got the Peter Rabbit Organics jars of Italian Mediterranean vegetables sauce 39p each.
  • KirriKirri Forumite
    6.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^^ Is the book good??

Lots of Ecover offers in Waitrose this week (cheaper than the Sainsbury's offers).

Had the A&C soup box again, loving this box as trying recipes I hadn't thought of before.

Not really bought much else new in organics recently..
  • Callie22Callie22 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kirri wrote: »
    ^^ Is the book good??

I've bought this too :o I haven't had a really good look through as it only arrived today, but it looks good. I've noticed a few recipes that are also on the website, but it looks like there are quite a few new ones too. I would say that if you have a few other vegan 'blogger' cookbooks (like Oh She Glows etc) then I don't think that there's anything in this one that's particularly new, but it's very pretty to look at :) It's a bonus too that it's a UK vegan cookbook, which makes a change! It's only £7.99 from Amazon at the moment - I pre-ordered it when it was £10 and got a refund of the difference this morning, but still got free postage too, which I'm quite pleased about!
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support