Slimtone plus Raspberry Ketone - free trial - NOT! (another Nutrascience)

Options

Comments

• Renata11
    Options
    I was emailed today about Sample Raspberry Ketone For 2 Weeks: #1 Selling Diet Product In The UK.
    Having been caught out by the Nutrascience free trial that is so tightly wrapped in terms and conditions you end up paying £75 for a tub of useless tablets, I checked the Slimtone Plus link and lo and behold, same free trial Ts&Cs.
    BTW: I have looked all over the net for retribution for Nutrascience, and haven't found a single post where someone says they returned the goods within the strategically hidden 14 day trial period, and didn't get stung. I have seen hundreds of posts from people who, like me were hoodwinked out of lots of money.....
    Well I've ordered my free trial yesterday, and after I found all these coments about slimetone so then I wrang them and ask to cancel my order but they told me that was impossible because they already had post it to me, so they gave me the 2 return 17 digits numbers and the Irish address and asked to ring back in 7 days to extend my trial period in case of delivery delay, so on I rang the bank and to try and stop the payment as it was just 1 hr after I ordered but the bank couldnt do anything so I cancel my card altogether incase of later charges. Finally the parcel arrived this morning (paid £5 for p&p and it cost no more then £2.), and was sent from UK that means this company is based in UK and uses it office in Ireland just to get away from English law. So now I'll have to spend more money to send it back via International recorder delivery.
    At least it arrived b4 the end of the trial.... I'll let you know if they will take more money from me after all that. but my bank said they can get the money back....
  • bigjohn79
    Options
    Don't be caught out by slim tone plus scam, if you do call your credit/debit card supplier tell them you have been caught up in a scam and they will cancel any further payments. You could also cancel the card you originally paid with to stop any further withdrawls from your bank. Best of Luck
  • babycamille
    Options
    Just to let you know that I did read T&Cs and still got stung.
    Now as it goes, I was actually at fault as they do clearly say that the 14 day trial is from order date (mine was a Sunday) and they also say their phone lines are operated Mon-Fri so given I left it until the end of the 14 days, I technically cancelled a day late.
    They sent confirmation of cancellation and later than day requested payment which left my bank the day after I cancelled.

However, I emailed them accusing them of taking money after cancellation & being in breach of their own t&cs - as I found they were.

They gave me 2 options but we eventually settled on me asking for a full refund.
    I posted product back Friday (at a whopping £9.24 to track) but I have just received my £75 back.
    An expensive lesson but not as bad as the £75 that I thought I would never see again.
    Phew.
  • Sommer43
    Options
    It is not enough to just cancel your card, you have to talk with your bank who are fully aware of this scam. My daughter signed up for this and I am horrified, firstly that she thinks she needs slimming pills, (a matter I am dealing with). Secondly, thank goodness she called me to say that she had ordered these potions, as having read the terms and conditions, it screamed nothing but scam to me.

Here's what we did:

We called her bank, informed them that this was a scam, the bank was fully aware of the scam. We have cancelled her card, ordered a new one, however, there is a marker on her account now, which will block any attempt to access funds from this company, a replacement card is not enough.

My daughter has now been advised to empty her account online to her savings account. As she has very few direct debits and they are now not due until next month, she has signed up for Natwest's text alert service which will alert her to activity on her account. When she puts money back into her current account online for her direct debits, which are only four in a month at the most, she knows exactly how much they are and any other activity will be alerted to her.

We will not be paying the £8/9 it will cost to return these tablets to this scamming company and as she has given me permission to access her email I will be able to see when they respond to her, which will likely be an email stating they cannot access her card and asking her to verify it. I shall be dealing with this. When they arrive through the post, she will be handing them to me and I will happily dispose of the bloody things in the bin. Then, when they have sent countless emails, asking for money, I shall, politely them where to go.

Lessons to be learned here, only use reputable companies online, where you have some comeback. Than god she told me, otherwise her hard earned would have been swiped, she's 19 and this has put enough fear in her to check with me before she buys anything in the future online from an unknown source.

And why you're all sending them back, is beyond me... A free trial it is not, freebies are from well known sites, testers for perfumes, toothpastes, dog and cat food, or in magazines, that's where to get freebies from. Scammers work and are fraudulent and the only way they work is because people fall for them.

So now we await the delivery of whatever they are sending. I shall let you know the next contact made. Don't send them back and pay more money, throw them in the bin. Talk to your bank if you have ordered from them, cancel your card, move your money to a savings account online attached to your current account and ask the bank to block, block, block this company from taking money from your account.
  • 123debbyt
    Options
    Was horrified a week ago when I realised I had been scammed - not rec'd goods that I didn't want anyway and charged £112.50 Thanks to mse I contacted my bank immediately - cancelled my debit card and claimed under the visa chargeback - I have just checked with my bank and they have refunded me the charges and they shouldn't be able to get any more money from me.

Also when I realised that I had apparently signed up for further deliveries I went on both the websites to cancel - this looks easy I thought as I was just about to press the I accept/agree to cancellation - in very very light print under the attractive bright green I accept button was more T & C which basically you were agreeing to a 12 month delivery contract - thankfully I realised before agreeing and have hopefully cancelled my order. Thanks again mse for highlighlighting the 'Visa Chargeback' information
    :T
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,811 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any "free trial" that requires you to enter credit/debit card details is very likely to be a subscription based scam/rip-off.

this

if you are EVER asked for card/bank details read the small print properly, thoroughly and then read it again;)
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Brighteye19
    Options
    I realised I'd fallen for something that was going to get me into a lot of difficulty immediately and I'm panicking I'm going to get charges loads of money. I called the cancellation number to cancel, I can't get through to get a returns number using my phone number, although it's the same as the one I entered online, I've emailed and I've cancelled my card. I didn't receive a confirmation email from them so I've no idea whether they will still send out the product. Given their profile on here I'm guessing they will and I'll be unable to return. My card issuer says they won't be able to take future payment out but I'm really scared. Does anyone have a number I can call to speak to an actual person to get a cancellation number??
  • Roger101
    Options
    They have just had an Advertising Standards Authority judgement against them - this will help in getting refunds from credit card payments.

I can't paste links, so just Google 'Slimtone plus scam' and go to 'Diet Pills Watchdog' site, and you'll see a link there.

Good luck!
  • Sotonidiot
    Options
    I fell into the same trap as many others over the slimtone scam. I contacted slimtone via email to cancel the order and following lots more emails was told to send the 'free trial' back using the RMA number provided - which I did, 11 days before the deadline set. Despite written confirmation of cancellation they took the next installment of money from my account; the company claimed it hadn't received the returned goods within the deadline and that I was being charged for this. However, when I challenged this and responded instantly to their request for a scan of the proof of postage, they said that they would re-emburse my bank account - I am currently waiting to see if this happens, but given the advertising standards judgement against them I may be lucky! I shall however, be speaking to my bank about ensuring that no further money can be taken from my account by this company. How stupid was I
  • Missy1984
    Missy1984 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 4 January 2013 at 2:45PM
    Options
    This is a post in regard of what to do as I have been caught out myself:
    Thanks to the posts on this forum concerning these stupid pills, I was able to sort my problems out prior to them getting worse!
    Firstly, I like everyone else thought it woud be a fantastic offer...little did I know that later I would be facing the concequences!

• After I ordered these pills, I got them and read the letter that comes with it. I then cancelled my order immediately upon being aware of the tightly packed T&C's. I then awaited confirmation of my cancellation via email which never appeared in my inbox (unsurprisingly).
    • I then called the company and requested them to take me off their mailing list, which I know they have still not done.
    • After this, I promptly returned the pills back to the address:
    Slim Tone Plus Returns, PO BOX 111, Shannon, County Clare, Ireland.
    (Note that this is a PO BOX number, which meant I couldn't have a signed for delivery!!). In addition, it would be wise to take pictures of the package you are returning as proof of delivery, and further, keep a hold of your returns receipt from the Post Office.

I then cancelled the original card I authorised the payment to go through and made my bank aware of this scam. My bank are unable to put a block up against the company name as they can attempt to request money through their sister company BODYCLEANSEplus!!!

So here is what I did and would advise you to do:

1) Let your bank know and cancel your card immediately

2) Contact the European Trading Standards: (If the company successfully takes money from your account, the bank will deal with it, but Trading Standards will do one better).

The European Trading Standards advised me on a couple of things:

Firstly that although it is a PO BOX number for the returns address, if you contact Royal Mail, and obtain another address the company- for which you can have signed for deliveries.
    Secondly, you get a reference number. If the company is successful in getting money from your account, the European Trading Standards will look into it for you via the Enforcement Authority.

I have reported this company to the European Trading Standards for the benefit of myself and you guys who are unfortunately in the same situation as myself. Do not fear, it can be sorted and we can beat it!! I am now in the process of reporting this to Ofcom. Whether this will help, I do not know, but for my own piece of mind I am doing this.

I hope this is of help to you.
    Sealed Pot Challenge Member # 2010
    Stars from Sue:
    Target: £1500.
    Weight loss goal: 2 stones by April 2013 ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure