PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Its nice here too, pigpen.

Bright sunshine, bit breezy. Just got our coats out on the line - somehow they got muddy at the boot fair...

I'm not sure about LR curtains yet, mine opens out into the conservatory and I'm hoping the new roof will mean less heat loss - I have vertical blinds up so far and can't really think what else would work, the bay has a funny shaped ceiling and what with two corners and French doors I'd need 5 curtains :o

Might see how I go on this year. I think the one side window that is "exposed" had a fleece stuck up behind the blind with sticky Velcro last year, just for an extra "layer".

I did my car boxes yesterday too - all the essentials including a spare purse with a tenner in, in case I forget parking money :o
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Tiglath
    Tiglath Posts: 3,816 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I'm feeling very virtuous - just steamcleaned the diningroom carpet (did the livingroom recently as well, and took the opportunity to chuck out junk when DH wasn't looking). Taking bets on how long it lasts till a cat pukes on it ... the livingroom carpet was only spared the next day because one cat puked directly onto another cat ...
    "Save £12k in 2019" #120 - £100,699.57/£100,000
  • sillyinthepast
    Options
    This thread has really helped me to prepare this year thank you. So far I have

- bought new duvets and pillows as ours were years old.
    - checked all of the hats and gloves to make sure they fit
    - bought medicines and tissues when they were in offer in the summer
    - We have spent a chunk having the utility double glazed (will save us money in the long run, and ours was rotten)
    - Stocked up on batteries
    - checked torches, candle supplies.
    - have stocked up on salt to grit path and dry foods including dry milk. Dog food and chicken feed. oh and some bird seed.
    - I am starting to put together a car box.
    - Checked all of the hot water bottles are okay.

I have yet to check the radiators (haven't needed the heating on yet), bought the 3 children new slippers, bought extra lightbulbs, ds1 winter boots/wellies.

I am feeling so much better than last year now. The last few years snow has been really bad and we have been housebound for a week. THe childrens school is 4 miles away and they don't run buses if the snow is bad. I would like to start making some 'snow day' kits - playing cards, craft kit and instructions (homemade - maybe finger puppets) and a dvd oh and a pack of snowman poop:rotfl: I know it isn't a necessity but I love making memories with the children and want them to have wonderful memories of snow days.
    £370/£300 April challenge :T:T
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First real sit down of the day, but at least its been productive, now already for workmen coming tomorrow. Bed pushed against the wall to give them better access to the window, may leave it like that though as more room to get in and out of bed now (and access to other side is no longer needed).

4 portions from the slow cooker are ready to go in the freezer, will be putting sausages in tomorrow as will be stuck at home all day.
  • mineallmine
    Options
    Must get some duvets to the launderette/dry cleaners this week.

Also need to re stock some tinned food.

Probably need to bulk buy some pet food too.

That's my 3 things for this week.

Bought a £7.99 cream fleece from L*dl but had to return it. It started "pilling" and leaving fluff everywhere. It was lovey and soft but alas no good for me.
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • You_You_You
    Options
    Hey everyone - new to (posting in!) this thread and looking for some help. My wee mammy moved into an old tenement close in May and now the cold weather is coming in she can feel a draft at her front door. Her hallway is pretty small, so I'm not sure how a door curtain would really work without crowding the place. Do you guys have any ideas?
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You need to find where the draft is. It maybe some sealant is needed around the doorframe, or a letterbox brush thingy, or maybe there s a pane of glass in the door that isn't fully sealed.

Once you know exactly what it is, you can target the small area rather than cover the whole door.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Went to bed last night at 2am and my side of the bed was damp (the small window was open and my side is nearest the window). Not sure why though but it happens a lot in winter, presumably just from being cold as opposed to being an air circulation issue.
  • dragonette
    Options
    Hi guys, Thanks to being inspired but everyone getting prepped, I've got more done this week :)

New electric blanket (a fleecy one no less) on the bed, some batch cooking done and a door curtain put up over the front door.

You You You - would a portiere work? This is the one we put up today http://www.fashioninteriors.co.uk/rolls-16mm-bronze-effect-rising-portiere-rod-3465r/p116419.html
    Went up very easily and holds the curtain really close to the door and pulls it shut as the door closes. I'm noticing an improvement already :)
    :AStarting again on my own this time!! - Defective flylady! :A
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,224 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Time for a proper list! Green for those things done so far.

1) Double glazing the remaining windows.

2) Mend potholes in the alleyway.

3) Paint the porch.

4) Order 2 tonnes of logs.

5) Mend (stabilise) the neighbour's fence.

6) Check stock of candles and matches.

7) Buy a new torch.

8) Antifreeze in the car.

9) Check hats, scarves and gloves situation.

10) Fleece lining on the back of my bedroom curtains.

11) Curtain for little window at the foot of the stairs.

12) New lock to hold porch door shut.

13) Buy new, cheap phone to plug in during power cuts (cordless one doesn't work then).

14) Re pointing of top of chimney.

15) New, fleecy pyjamas for sons (traditionally a Christmas Eve present here).

16) New wellies where needed (NOT willies as the spell checker keeps correcting! Although you never know).

17) New sledge!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport