PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hoping to get some prep done over the weekend, have a list of things I need to buy as well which I'll hopefully get done in the next few weeks. Don't think I'm going to be very organised this year, but getting some very good ideas from this thread.

What are peoples views on Cavity wall insulation? I've had good stories from some, horror stories from others and other people saying that it didn't make that much difference.

Feeling rather chilly tonight and trying to not put the heating on again today, especially with the weather looking like its going to improve tomorrow.

Think I'm going to invest in a few more hot water bottles I think a King Size bed is going to be rather cold in the depths of Winter all by myself.
  • CH27
    CH27 Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    Options
    MandM90 wrote: »
    Oooh we have two kittens. I hadn't thought of that - might be a bit dangerous if it isn't 100% secure.

I might be being over the top - maybe no one would even notice a pole too much. I'm just working so hard to make our home lovely, I want to keep it that way :D

ETA: Sorry, another question.. For those of you who put winter clothing into storage, how do you store it? Those vacuum bags don't really seem to have glowing reviews! Should I just roll clothes up really tightly and put them in plastic boxes?

I double bag them in binbags & shove them in the top bit of the fitted wardrobes.
    Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    MandM90 wrote: »
    ETA: Sorry, another question.. For those of you who put winter clothing into storage, how do you store it? Those vacuum bags don't really seem to have glowing reviews! Should I just roll clothes up really tightly and put them in plastic boxes?

I've been using them for nearly 10 years. I started off with expensive ones from QVC when they first came out. I still use the travel ones for when DD goes away, very handy for keeping her dirty clothes separate from her clean stuff. The other ones have ripped, failed to keep stuff squished or I've passed them on to my sister (No idea if she's still using them or not).

At the moments I use Asda own brand vacuum bags. I've not had a problem with them at all! I use jumbo ones to store DD's vast cuddly toy collection, smaller ones to store blankets/quilts, and smaller ones again to store clothing. They're quite thick, seal well, and vacuum a 4.5tog kingsize quilt to about 3cm thick :D I love them and would recommend them.
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • kladoink
    Options
    SuiDreams wrote: »
    Think I'm going to invest in a few more hot water bottles I think a King Size bed is going to be rather cold in the depths of Winter all by myself.

I always sleep with pillows on either side of me (a habit formed during pregnancy that I now can't do without) and I find that keeps me extra warm.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kladoink wrote: »
    I always sleep with pillows on either side of me (a habit formed during pregnancy that I now can't do without) and I find that keeps me extra warm.

I'll give that a try I accidentally rolled onto the other side in the night and it was freezing.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    nicki wrote: »
    I've been using them for nearly 10 years. I started off with expensive ones from QVC when they first came out. I still use the travel ones for when DD goes away, very handy for keeping her dirty clothes separate from her clean stuff. The other ones have ripped, failed to keep stuff squished or I've passed them on to my sister (No idea if she's still using them or not).

At the moments I use Asda own brand vacuum bags. I've not had a problem with them at all! I use jumbo ones to store DD's vast cuddly toy collection, smaller ones to store blankets/quilts, and smaller ones again to store clothing. They're quite thick, seal well, and vacuum a 4.5tog kingsize quilt to about 3cm thick :D I love them and would recommend them.

I'll get a few and see how I go with them then. I hate the thought of expensive clothes/linen getting eaten by something! :eek:
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    miele wrote: »
    Thanks, Pooky! I think I get it! I hadn't thought of using the wall from where the bottom of the upstairs banister is, what a good idea! It would be so much more nicer to put the rail there with curtains hanging down outside the stairwell then securing a rail to the living room ceiling, thanks! :T

I am too worried about odd looks from guests so having something easy to remove would be ideal. Love your idea about the double layer fleeces, I must look for some this weekend. Were you able to find single fleeces long enough or did you have to sow a few together?

I couldn't find fleeces long enough (the cost per meter including delivery wasnt cheap either) so I opted for @sda ones, I think they were £4 each or 2 for £6, i only needed 2 together for the length so it was nice and easy. They had a lovely chocolate brown which was ideal. When we moved I Unpicked all the seams and still use the fleeces now for my moggies.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Confuzzled
    Confuzzled Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    edited 21 September 2013 at 12:02PM
    Options
    hello all, i saw this this morning in my email and thought it might help some people here, i've no idea how effective these are, probably worth a google or checking on amazon for reviews etc but here's the link, seems a good option for some if they work ok, especially if you're on economy 7 but don't want a loud dehumidifier running at night in your bedroom (these are rechargeable so charge at night use during the day!) or if you have space issues, need more than one etc

they probably don't hold alot but i bet they fit onto a windowsill, anyway worth a look and some research for anyone interested

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national-deal/groupon-goods-global-gmbh/27047159?p=3&nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_264&a=1664&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&sid=e9d6ad76-e724-43e8-a57e-f6d6a2256d52&division=national-deal&uh=9dcaaeb8-35d4-4a38-a588-fdc078fd44c0&date=20132109&sender=rm&s=body&c=deal_button&d=deal-page&utm_campaign=groupon-goods-global-gmbh-27047159

EDITED TO ADD: well i was curious, so i did a quick amazon linke and found similar products, and cheaper, naughty groupon! anyway mixed reviews but i think they're right if you're reasonable and only expect them to work in small spaces like windows, cars, wardrobes you'll be happy with them, i know we have some people with serious window dampness that these might help, anyway found a few cheaper and posting links here

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-Mini-Dehumidifier-Pack-Set/dp/B001P478OG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379761074&sr=8-1&keywords=compact+dehumidifier+rechargeable

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rechargeable-Mini-Dehumidifier-Pack-Caravan/dp/B000XQ8V0M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1379761074&sr=8-2&keywords=compact+dehumidifier+rechargeable
  • cottage_retreatist
    Options
    hello everyone - I'm a lurker but first time poster on this thread - we have some horrible metal window frames in our flat which get really cold with the temperature dropping. I was thinking of lining some curtains with fleece but then thought - maybe lining some roller blinds might be more effective and stop the cold right by the window - i know Ik!a blinds are ridiculously cheap at the moment - cheaper then I could make them anyway, but has anyone ever tried attaching a fleece to them to make them thermal if I got their really basic ones? Or do you think it wouldn't roll properly because of the thickness?

Your knowledge and expertise would be greatly appreciated!!

if you think it won't work i'll just go for lining the curtains instead!!!
    C-R xx
    Debts @ LBM (May 2013): £25,250.27 | Debt Free: May 2015 :j:j
  • lobbyludd
    lobbyludd Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    Options
    I think it would be difficult to roll them up/down again because of the added thickness of the fleece. I have lined roman blinds (that I made, but it would work as well with ones you bought) these lie flat and don't look to bulk when pulled up. I also have long, lined curtains, but because they hang from a pole (and therefore proud from the wall) they don't add much other than looking warmer, it's the blind that does most of the work.
    :AA/give up smoking (done) :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport