PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• cottage_retreatist
    Options
    lobbyludd wrote: »
    I think it would be difficult to roll them up/down again because of the added thickness of the fleece. I have lined roman blinds (that I made, but it would work as well with ones you bought) these lie flat and don't look to bulk when pulled up. I also have long, lined curtains, but because they hang from a pole (and therefore proud from the wall) they don't add much other than looking warmer, it's the blind that does most of the work.

Hi lobbyludd!!!

So - romans would work better with fleece behind - thank you!!!!

my curtains are also quite a distance from the window frames themselves hence why I was wondering if lining them was worth the effort!!! I might have to do some research into roman blinds now and look at costing etc!!!

cheers
    C-R x
    Debts @ LBM (May 2013): £25,250.27 | Debt Free: May 2015 :j:j
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Got some big packs of chicken thighs and sausages today going to do the chicken in the slow cooker tomorrow and sausages on monday hopefully get lots of extra meals in the freezer. Tomorrow is going to be a busy day as planning on washing all my various winter coats tomorrow, hopefully it will be hot enough for them to dry quickly.
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought that the point of thermal curtains is to stop heat from the room escaping, as heat travels from hot to cold, therefore surely whether they are curtains or blinds makes no difference - only blinds will make your 'warm area' larger as it's extended to right up to the window. Am I being dim here? :o Embarrassing if I am as I study chemical physics, should have got to grips with thermal kinetics by now :P
  • rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    So .... it's a beautiful sunny, windy morning :) - guess what I've got planned;)

1st big throw is already on the whirly-gig and 2nd is in the machine

Maisie's grumping at me as she's not been for walkies yet - but want to get them out!

Might give the cat kennel another coat of preservative when we come back
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Options
    I am washing too today. While the weather is still ok I am spending time every weekend preparing the garden for the winter. Last year I did this in November and want to avoid that this year.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have 2 loads ready to go out and OH is being bossed to get the curtains down from the front room.. I rehang while wet and the weight of them pulls out creases .. but there is some poo in there from last week when the cat was incarcerated so he can do that too.

I finished GS3's knitted sweater yesterday and started one for my 3 y/o for nursery. A few more sweaters and the little ones should be sorted for winter.

I ordered boots for the 2 littlies.. I promised Squeak ones with lights.. she was not happy Dots shoes have lights and her shoes don't so I promised her winter boots with lights. They have wellies and shoes and plimsolls and refuse to wear slippers .. though I might get them some of the boot type ones with furry insides see if they will wear those.

I just bought our first huge sack of potatoes for all those stodgy stews and dinners :p ... I'm running the freezers down for a major restock now.. I am wondering if it might be sensible to get a large chest freezer for the shed and donate the fridge freezer in the kitchen to DS1 and the large freezer to DD1 and get a new fridge freezer for the kitchen... we will see after this winter how much I like trailing through the garden in freezing cold to get stuff out of the freezer... it is in the shed at the end of my 50ft garden!

I need to sort my fan heaters too, it gets a bit nippy in here at midnight.

I sorted Christmas presents yesterday.. I have done OH, DD1, DS2, DD3, DD4, DD5, DD6, DD7 and DD8 main presents and just need books, sweets and a few stocking fillers for them. My niece is done and 2 of my sisters.. which leaves DS1, DS3, DD2, 3 grandboys, my mother and stepdad and 1 sister. I need a word document to keep track I think. I shall do that later while feeding the baby.. 1 handed word files ftw!

ooh.. French doors... they have double glazing, I used the foamy draught tape on them last year which made a huge difference.. but the curtains are very thin but very long.. lace outer layer and silk (like lining fabric) inner.. 2.6m long... the curtain pole is a bit.. unstable due to the crapness of the wall... would fleece linings be hugely heavy? I know fleece is light and all but I could get a tension pole and fit that in the recess and hang on that or just a curtain wire.. do they make black curtain wire?? (off to research) I have 4 old cushions I use as draught excluders in rotation, 2 at a time.. the senile cat wee's on them so they need washing regularly.

I've just made more work for myself haven't I?? lol.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • parsonswife8
    Options
    I'm going to attempt to swap my summer clothes for all my winter clothes today. Hubby will have to get some suitcases down from the loft. I really need to get rid of some things to the charity shops as well.

There's loads to sort out and I need to be ruthless, but I find it very hard. I always think that I'll just keep this and I'll just keep that.:o

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • Lucy5781
    Options
    Managing with minimal CH, have got flannelette sheet on bed (needs de-bobbling though lol) but a fleece on top of that and another fleece for on top of me along with duvet haha.

Lxx
    Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Jan 2012: £16,000+ :eek: [STRIKE] Credit Card & Overdraft Debts Sep 2013: £13,023 [/STRIKE]
    DRO Completed: 30/09/2014 :T
    30/09/19 - Details now dropped off debt register. :o

My Diary - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4202761
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    measured up for curtain/fleecing the French doors.. the curtain wire is available in black but expensive.. so I'm looking at a black tension pole instead.. 107cm/42" recess .. best measure the drop as well.. 2.5m/98" ...

Bossed OH to mince grass while it is nice out.

Curtains merrily washing .. :D I will have clean and tidy and a lack of 'eau de cat'

In my fit of prepping I am sorting curtains for the front and back doors too... I just decided... manic fleece shopping it is then! ..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All coats washed, bedding in the machine. I've touched up some of the paint upstairs. Still need a lot of painting doing but won't be this weekend now. Slow cooker on. Just need to clean and tidy, then move furniture round to make upstairs windows more accessible for the window fitters when they come tomorrow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport