PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for winter IV

Options

Comments

• flubberyzing
    Options
    I leave my house at 7am for work each morning, and have needed gloves the last 2 mornings! I hate cold steering wheels!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was being stubborn at the beginning of the week, not wanting to change coats so I walked out the house with my light waterproof on. And realised on the train the irony od the fact I'd also worn my scarf.

So next day, thicker coat it was, lol
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm in shock folks, after only 6 years of [STRIKE]nagging[/STRIKE] training, my OH turned the thermostat down (I'd had heating on for 10 mins this morning as I was up at 4:30am to get him from work) and said "I'll just turn this back to 14 and put on an extra layer". :eek: :money:
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Re dehumidifiers... If you are planning on using it for helping to dry clothes etc then the mini one on the link above only extracts 0.3l a day which is very little.

The normal sized ones extract 10 litres a day and you can get them that draw even more than that!

I have a 10l one and I am always amazed at how much moisture it pulls out of the air. Although mine has broken so I will be getting another 10l one once I have saved up.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have started reading through your thread do you mind if I jion in. Hoping for the house to be warmer than last year and still use less energy. I've had downstairs windows replaced and lost relagged already, upstairs windows next week (fingers crossed). This will be my 1st winter on my own for 14years (and probably only 2nd one living on my own).

Need to get some Thermal lined curtains for my Bedroom and thinking of getting a rug for living room to make the cold floor seem warmer. Need to buy insulation for outside tap, Will see how much I can get done before the end of the month.

Hoping this winter will be a warm one.
  • SuiDreams
    SuiDreams Posts: 2,393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tiglath wrote: »
    I'm looking to stock up on tinned soups for work lunches (not a fan of homemade soup really) - lots of glutenfree ones out there, thankfully, and even cupasoups thanks to Ainsley Harriott :) I see lots of chunky soups in my future.

I am GF as well, didn't realise Ainsley Harriott ones were GF I will have a look, would be good for when I'm bunged up with cold.
  • candlelight_2013
    Options
    Have been lurking for a while, may I please join you.

We had such a dreadful winter last year that DH and I decided we would be more prepared.

I bought 2 thermal door curtains from the bay of E for the front door and the porch door off the kitchen. We hung them from telescopic shower rails using curtain hooks and large wooden curtain rings, and they really work well and look good.
    We have also bought extra fleece blankets to keep in the sitting room for when it gets chilly, but not cold enough for the heating.
  • The_Boss
    The_Boss Posts: 5,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey all,

Having switched from Eon to British Gas, our new tariff starts on October 16th. We are on holiday until the 19th (that's almost preparing for winter in itself - going away a month later than usual!) and I wanted to see if there's any risk in something going wrong and us ending up with no electric when we get back at 1am on the 20th? I assume not as the switching will be a common thing for them, but we have an economy 7 meter and are switching to a single rate tariff so I do have worries about the meter even though they've said it should be ok.
  • sharnad
    sharnad Posts: 9,904 Forumite
    Options
    Got loads of stuff two winters ago was rubbish its really bad living on the coast of northumberland as the snow gets deep but the roads don't get gritted until you get to the main road and they take buses off. Have grit shovel supplies in back of car food and drink and have snow shoes at the ready
    Needing to lose weight start date 26 December 2011 current loss 60 pound Down. Lots more to go to get into my size 6 jeans
  • alice-mary
    Options
    Evening Preppers! I finally got around to trying out the Zippo Hand Warmer that some kind Prepper mentioned AGES ago. I bought mine in the summer but still remembered the warnings about taking my time the 1st time I use it and am pleased to say that it is working beautifully! Many, many thanks to whoever it was that mentioned them on this thread, you are a star!

Alice
    xx
    Debts in March 2007:
    Loan £24,180 Argos Card £2000 C Card £2000 O/draft £2000 Mortgage £113,000
    Debts in Jan 2020:Loan £2900 Sister £0
    Argos Card £0 :j C Card £0 O/draft £0 :j
    Mortgage £96,000 (finally on a repayment mortgage :) )
    Getting there slowly .....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport