ValueBasket.com - any experiences?

Options
Anyone ever used ValueBasket.com for buying any gadgets? Their prices seem not bad but hadn't heard of this retailer before so I was wanted to check them out first before buying.

cheers

Comments

• Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
  • formbyray
    Options
    Do not use this site, they seem very professional but I believe it to be a scam at the worst and the poorest possible service at the best. I personally placed an order for a Google nexus (order number 115664-292732 just to prove the validity of this feedback) on 29th Sept, to date I have Emailed them 4 times and filled in 5 on line service request forms, and all I have received back are very polite holding responses such as we are working very hard to complete your order despite heavy order numbers. To date the Nexus has not been shipped. In frustration I have asked for a refund and if the hogwash was bad before it's even worse now. I am beginning to worry that I will never see the goods or any refund, please do not use this site.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's no registered address anywhere on the site -- it's not even clear which country they're operating from. The delivery info refers to surcharges being made for UK deliveries.

And the domain is registered using Domains by Proxy which conceals information about the true operator of the domain.

I'd say avoid...
  • earthstorm
    earthstorm Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    Options
    a clue is here

http://www.valuebasket.com/display/view/about_us
    As a global business we have expanded to offices located in Hong Kong, Singapore, and London employing team members from different countries and backgrounds. Headquartered in Hong Kong, we run a large basis of the daily operations from this office with the other offices working alongside in support. Each office brings in their strengths and ideas to help ValueBasket.com excel beyond the ordinary standards of an ecommerce company.

but having their exact details hidden in a whois search will give off a red flag to me.
  • Mr_MD
    Mr_MD Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    At the back end of August tried to buy a Yellow Nokia 520 phone from Vaulbasket.com for €136. At the time I placed the order it was clearly showing they had 3 in stock. So I waited a couple of business days to be notified of the despatch and nothing. So I checked the progress online, it had not been shipped. So I contacted them and they stated that it was a very busy time of year that caused a back log.

So I checked the item and it was shown that there were none in stock. But the other colours were showing 3 in stock. Then it twigged, false levels to get punters to buy and order from the supplier upon receipt of payment. So I put this to them and gave them notice to ship in 48hrs or cancel. They did not deny it stated that due to the exceptional busy period they can only apologise.

I gave them 72hrs and it still had not been shipped, this was 2 weeks down the line so I insisted on a refund. Initially they tried to get me to buy the black one. This was a bit of a joke as it is cheaper from Amazon, so I insisted on the refund and they said it would be done. As I felt that this was a bit dodgy I decided to speak to my credit card provider and they said they would send out a disputed transaction form, just in case. I could always call up and stop it when and if the refund comes through.

Exactly 1 month after the order was made I was notified of the refund by Valuebasket.com stating that it would be processed through worldpay and it would take a couple of days to go through. So a week later I checked my account, nothing. So I sent the refund advice to my credit card provider and stated, they claim to have made the refund but nothing has come through! I tried to call their number last week and could not get an answer, instead a message citing technical difficulties was the order of the day. I sent an email informing them of the failure to process the refund and a formal complaint, no reply. My credit card provider decided enough was enough and processed the clawback a couple of days ago. A full eight weeks after I paid for the non existent phone

Valuebasket deals that are not much cheaper than locally sourced and frankly the free delivery and 3 year warranty deal does not make financial sense given the high value, failure rates of products after a year and shipping costs involved. Even they are shipped direct from a local supplier and the warranty is underwritten by and insurer, the margins just don't add up. In fact if you read the smallprint on their warranty terms you will find that they have the final word should a dispute arise, otherwise it is Hong Kong law that prevails.

SO BE WARNED
    If you are thinking of using valuebasket.com, think again. I get the distinct feeling that this is a company that is going to be problematic for buyers and would not be surprised if they go bust or disappear.
  • shareviews
    Options
    I bought a Nokia Lumia 710 from Value Basket. Had problems with the phone and trying to get Value Basket to sort the problem is like walking into a spider's web.

Summary Of Problems :(

1. Took 3 months before I recieved my phone .

2. After a few months problems with the keyboard. Took it to local Nokia retailer. Was told needs a new screen and can be repair instantly . As the phone is not registered in UK there is a charge of £40. I was shock to get this news.

3. Wrote to Value basket and was instructed to send the phone to a repair shop in France.I sent it on 6th Sept.

4. No news from them . Wrote to them on 16/9 . An aknowledgement on 17/9.

5. No news by 27th Oct so wrote requesting for return of the phone . Only recieved automatic electronic reply stating the query is look into.

6. Sent further 4 lettters via their contact site and phone the help desk. Repeatly only recieved lip service .

Now is 15th Nov no news and no phone still.

I doubt I will get any Christmas goodwill gesture from them. Perhaps Father Christmas will feel sorry for me and bring me a new phone . Haha
  • avnire
    avnire Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I was absolutely terrified, when I started to read all the negative comments about Valuebasket. I wish I had had done it before I placed an order - their google reputation was almost immaculate! I ordered a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini from them for £225, after a 2-3 days it started to get a bit suspicious that they are still allocating my order (even though they had 20 on stock!), 6 days on my order was "allocated and about to be shipped in 1-2 days".

I raised a complaint with the company, had a vague reassuring letter from them to say that their logistics team would send the phone soon and I would be given a tracking number. So far my experience resonates with other reviewers' on trustpilot, and I am really worried that I'll never see neither the phone nor my money.

According to some reviewers as the product is shipped from Hong Kong (it never stated on the website! you are really made believe that is a UK based company), you have to pay VAT on it when it arrives - I checked it on the HM Revenue and Custom's website, in my case it would be £45, which makes the rather cheap phone not that cheap after all.

If the phone is from Hong KOng and it happens to be faulty, I am stuffed as well, sorting out returns or getting a repair under warranty is a pain and extra expense too.

Either way I see it, it's a lose-lose situation! I have contacted my credit card company and raised a dispute, fingers crossed it goes through. It's just sad that this fake company is the first one that comes up on google! It's my very first bad experience in terms of online shopping.. it's tough being on this learning curve..
  • shareviews
    Options
    I sent my phone to repair to Value Basket as coomented in the previous post.

I have written to Hong Kong Trading Standard and they have written to Value Basket before Christmas.

Todate no news and no phone . This seller obviously could care about customers no respect official department so be warn.

Hope my loss and share views will help someone in future .

Goodluck
  • Hawkeye3813
    Options
    Hi,
    I recently purchased a Google Nexus 7 2nd gen from Value Basket then after they took my money I thought I would read some feedback from various sites. MY GOD!!! I wish I had looked before I parted with money.
    I did however receive my Nexus after 7 days and I just sighed a relief.
    However when I opened the very well packed parcel all looked good and I was excited. The package was well packed and the courier I could not fault. Well! I opened the outer box which was sealed and perfectly packed. Then there was the inner box (Nexus Box), I proceeded to open it and still all looked very good and I was getting more excites by the second until I took the nexus out of the box and removed the cellophane it was wrapped in. It had been a used one which I had paid good money for a new sealed item.
    I first noticed greasy dirty finger marks all over the screen but I did no more than wipe it clean and it them looked perfect.
    I checked the back of the Nexus only to find more dirty finger marks and a couple of scratches (one of which was fairly deep).
    I emailed them because it was pointless trying to call them, they never answer the phone.
    They emailed me back and asked me to return it. I didn't want to return it because of the feedback I have already read.
    Now I think personally I was lucky to get my item in 7 days although it was definitely not a new one it worked like new and just had the greasy finger marks all over the back and the front.

I was a bit scared to return it and I decided to keep it but I had emailed them for a part refund but they didn't want to know.
    I emailed them again and again and again for a part refund.
    NO!! they didn't want to know.
    I purchased this on January 2014 and after reading all the reviews and hearing about how quick they take your money and hold it for weeks and sometimes for months.
    My view is they take your money and hang onto it for as long as possible, this way they get maybe hundreds of thousands of $ or £ or € and the money is handled not by themselves but an independent company. They hang on to it and get the interest from your hundreds of thousands you all send to this company.
    They then give you excuse after excuse when you email them and ask where are your items???
    "Oh! it will be dispatched soon" or "sorry for any inconvenience we will escalate your order" bla bla bla bla.

As I say "I was lucky to receive my item in 7 days"
    Some of you have not been so lucky and I will urge anyone not to buy from VB as they are scammers and send you excuse after excuse or sent you a used item with a free gift to keep you quiet.
    NO!! I am not being quiet and I will email them 3 or 4 times a day to get a part refund.

Please do not use this company and I hope and pray that you have read these reviews before you have parted with any money.
  • shareviews
    shareviews Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 25 February 2014 at 1:15PM
    Options
    Hope my loss will be someone's gain ( It looks like Value Basket has but illegally ).

Since my last letter , I have made no progress . Value Basket has no respect for anyone or authority .

Hong Kong Trading Standards has failed to get a respond from Value Basket .

Value Basket has kept the phone which I had paid for . That is illegal .

Sad but wiser

Shareviews.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family