Spill the beans... on when you seriously BULK buy

Options

Comments

• Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Options
    I used to bulk buy tinned dog food for my labrador but now that he's 13 I only keep a month's supply on hand.

When Tesco had Moo organic UHT milk on offer I cleared the shelf (20 litres) but OH is more inclined to give it to the dog when there's a lot around !
  • abjem21
    abjem21 Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    skylight wrote: »
    I haven't seriously bulk bought since Tesco and Beef in Gravy.

LOL
    I too had more of these than I dare admit, we got enough points for our family of four to go to Olu Deniz 4 star A.I. for two weeks during a half term in a single mailing, those really were the days, I miss them now!

On a serious note, the best thing anyone can do is actually know how much they pay for all the things they use all the time. That way when a "Real" offer comes along you can then fully exploit it.

If I find an item that is genuinely half price (Or less) I will buy up to a full years worth (Or even longer if there is a good best before date on it) on the grounds that a pound saved is = £1.30 earnt and even if you "shock horror" borrowed the money on a credit card to pay for it and took as long to pay it off as it took you to use it you would still be well up on the deal, the real trick is not falling for the many, many, many fake half price deals where the price has been hiked up before the promotion. Obviously the better you know your subject the better you will do.

My best bulk buy too would have to be the then famous beef in gravy, however I have before now purchased 72 jars of coffee in one go and have had a gross of Branston beans, spaggetti, soup and decent tinned toms etc, many times.

There really is no substitute for research!

This site certainly helps to make sure you catch more bargains!!
    To anyone that tells you "There is no I in team" say no there isn't
    But there ARE TWO I'S IN COMMISSION and I dont get paid "Team"
    ...........:D..........
    Faint Heart, Fair Maiden, Juan NEVER!.
  • VoucherMan
    VoucherMan Posts: 2,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Amongst my best buys -

Princes corned beef. Only got half a dozen tins left now but when it was on offer at £1 for a pack of 3 x 340g tins I bought about 100.

Dettol Multi Action Cleaner. Tesco had it on offer at half price. Also BOGOF so instead of £3.00 a bottle it was 75p. Decided to get a couple more the next day but got charged £1.50 each. DTD due to overcharge meant free Dettol. Still 6 left.

Vax carpet cleaner seems to be at least £5 a bottle. Asda were selling for 50p so I stocked up.

Persil gel tablets boxes of 80 reduced to clear at Tesco. £2.98 for a box of 80 instead of the usual £4.00 for 40. I'm down to my last six boxes now though so may have to buy some more in about 8 years or so.:(

Princes tuna 4 pack. Had over 150 tins when it was on offer at £2.00 - sadly down to the last 16.

Amongst other crazy buys
    Over 50 jars of mincemeat as it's currently reduced to 20p a jar.
    10 jars of Marmite due to an offer at Tesco and Asda offering it 10% cheaper.
    20 large boxes of various breakfast cereal mainly as a result of the recent petrol promotion.
    Over 3500 teabags also from the petrol promotion.

10 joint of meat left in the freezer. Stock up at Christmas and Easter when it's on offer and it keeps me going for the rest of the year.

Also over 300 tins of cat food.

Quite a few things are now past their 'best before' date. Even more will be before I get around to using them. Record so far was a jar of Robertson's jam which was 5 years 'out of date'. Still got about 10 left but they're not quite that old yet.

Just me and the cats so save a small fortune bulk buying. The list could go on but all this talk of food is making me hungry.:EasterBun (lots of that as well but that's not moneysaving!)
  • IenjoyAbargain
    Options
    I only bulk buy things that are 50% off or more and if they are my usual buys anyway , am limited to what I can store at the moment after a couple of approved food shops but just purchased a years supply of green tea at a bargain price(long date as well) , will have to go in the loft :rotfl:

I never do a 'normal shop' anymore as only things I ever need nowadays are fresh salad stuff/veg and dairy.
  • mh8748
    mh8748 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    My newest bulk buy is herbs and spices. I bought 1kg of black pepper corns - £15 online. Much cheaper than buying those silly little 30g boxes for £3 a pop.

Failing that, I tend to bulk buy deodorant, shampoo etc - my bathroom looks like a chemist!
  • stellababy
    Options
    I have just joined MSE and have just bought a years supply of washing powder and dishwasher tablets for £34.98 incl delivery from ebay thank you for your tips!

Can anyone recommend a good bargain loo roll? We use shades (asda) but would love to fill the loft with loo roll plus free insulation hee hee!
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    mh8748 wrote: »
    My newest bulk buy is herbs and spices. I bought 1kg of black pepper corns - £15 online. Much cheaper than buying those silly little 30g boxes for £3 a pop.

I don't have an Asian grocers near me but I bring jars of spices back from the supermarket in Spain - e.g. about £1 for a baked bean size jar of cumin seeds.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Soworried
    Soworried Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    edited 15 August 2012 at 9:06PM
    Options
    stellababy wrote: »
    I have just joined MSE and have just bought a years supply of washing powder and dishwasher tablets for £34.98 incl delivery from ebay thank you for your tips!

Can anyone recommend a good bargain loo roll? We use shades (asda) but would love to fill the loft with loo roll plus free insulation hee hee!
    I bulk buy Charmin when it comes on weekend offer at Lidl. 24x rolls for just £6.99. :j
    It was just on about 3 weeks ago so it will be about 4-6 weeks before it is back on. It seems to last a lot longer than most toilet rolls.

My cupboard under the stairs is full.
    £36/£240
    £5522
    One step must start each journey
    One word must start each prayer
    One hope will raise our spirits
    One touch can show you care
  • stellababy
    Options
    We also gave the DSC ago and found Mr T everyday value shower gel a snip at 26p, smells great and we are clean :O) Also Alberto balsam normally 4 for £3 bargain, especially the tea tree tingle as meant to keep headlice at bay (two kids aged 6 & 4) and as to date neither have had them and I always use the tea tree tingle, touch wood!
  • richie3846
    Options
    Write a list of every food you buy (except perishables you can't store)

Keep receipts and write next to the items on your list the price you paid - PER KG/ML - not per unit! It's the price you pay for the weight or volume of a product that really counts

Keep building the list on every shopping trip, and look in different shops if you can to compare prices

Always take the list with you, and if you see a bargain price on an item you have on your list, buy enough of it to last 3 months

If you keep doing this, eventually you only need to buy items when they are at a bargain price, plus you NEVER run out of cupboard staples

Over time you will become an expert at knowing when a price is damn good, plus you start to get an idea if the price is likely to be repeated again soon - if not you will know to buy as much as you can use within the best before date

If you have room, try realfoods.co.uk to buy bulk rice, grains, nuts etc. - the prices do vary, but at times you can really pick up a bulk buy bargain and get it delivered free to your door
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure