PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• sjprmc01
    sjprmc01 Posts: 917 Forumite
    edited 24 August 2012 at 9:31PM
    Options
    £49.14 spent in Mr A's I got LOADS of stuff though and fridge, freezer and cupboards are rammed full of stuff!

I'm dieting so shouldn't be eating as much, lol! And I've made a list of shops value products to either buy again if liked, or revert back to my usual if not! I have all the 4 major s/m's close-by so will be attempting to try all the ranges this month.

Only thing I should need to go up for in the next week-2 weeks (I know I will not be able to avoid the sm THAT long) is fresh fruit n veg and bread n milk! (oh and possibly yogurts! I did try to get OH to get yogs (he eats about 3 a day! But he was being funny about it)
    No more unnecessary toiletries Feb 2014 INS: 24 UU: 13. Mar 2014. INS: lost count, naughty step for me! UU: 8
  • budget_babe
    budget_babe Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    Options
    Budgie is pondering, yes its always a worry. :o

But do many of you on here make your own bread? I am just wondering if its worth investing in a bread maker?

Mr Budgie tends to eat alot of bread and its the nipping to the shops where you then add other bits to your basket that tend to add up.

I am actually giving myself a headache with all this mse stuff. Though I have to say Thank you to Zippy Chick for the receipe index, it makes some good reading. :)

I definitely need to get on board with this meal planning and I have made a good start today, just need to build on that.

Though I have had 3 dizzy spells today, took my blood pressure and it was 115 over 63 which is very very low for Budgie, I am wondering now that I am not working in such a stressful environment if I can reduce the tablets I take, (3 a day). When I first had problems it was 220 over 150 mega mega high. :o and all down to stress.

I have a scheduled appointment next week with the nurse to do a BP check so will go from there. Though if it has dropped through not being at work then I feel cross that I stayed for 9 years, I have been on tablets for 8 and only had problems when I started said job.

Sorry for going off topic. :o Though I did warn everyone that I can go on a bit. ;)

I mean well though if thats any help?

I have decided to get my head around this thread before popping back to flylady. I am work in progress. ;)

Have a good wekend everyone
    Budgie xxxxxxxxxx
    Cherish the ones you love and travel back on the road that brings you home :)
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson :A
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    edited 31 August 2012 at 8:40PM
    Options
    I love my bread maker. I used to have a cookworks one that made quite heavy bread, but I saved up for a panny and I love it!! Like you say, of that's all you need, better to bake than to spend! You can buy/create lovely flavours too, my fave is cheese and onion bread. Absolutely selfish when toasted!

Hth

ETA oops! That was meant to say delish! That's the phone trying to be clever... !
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • jules217
    jules217 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Everyone

I stocked up on cleaning products and nappies for my daughter today in Lidl, so spent £28.32. Also needed to get some odds and ends in Mr T's so spent another £7.65.

I tend to do my weekly shop online, and that is ordered to arrive tomorrow.

GC Sept £35.97/£280
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    meanmarie wrote: »
    Please put me down for €175 for September.......can't seem to do red or change font size, sorry.

Sincere thanks for all hard work.

Marie
    Hey doll, great to see you! Want to pop into London this October for a visit? Check the OS meet up, it would be great to see you again! Or Sardinia in Sept? I I'll be there 6th to 16th Sept! (Sorry to post out of context, just very excited to see an old friend!)
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 November 2012 at 8:50AM
    Options
    A natural antibacterial spray is water and essential oils

Ingredients
    • 1 mug water
    • 5 drops orange essential oil
    • 3 drops lavender essential oil
    • 2 drops eucalyptus essential oil
    • 2 drops tea tree oil
    Instructions
    1. Add all ingredients to a spray bottle.
    2. Shake well before use.
    3. Spray on countertops and other hard surfaces and let air-dry.
    4. Store in a cool, dark place.
    The essential oils are all anti-infection, antiseptic, anti-viral, lavender is also antibacterial and eucalypus and tea tree are all the above plus anti-fungal.

I also make my own degreasing spray which is a combination of 1 part white vinegar, 1 part washing up liquid, 6 parts water and something you like the smell of - I last used the remnants of a febreze spray when there is so little left you can't spray it any more but more normally some lemon extract (2-3 drops) to cover the vinegar. I re-use an old shower spray bottle and it keeps for ages under the sink.

I also have a bottle of white vinegar that I keep under the sink too and I de-furr the kettle periodically and just tea-strain it back into a jug and re-use it about ten times until it stays cloudy.
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Suffolk lass, I've added your Antibacterial spray and Degreasing spray to the front page index, I've started a new section 'Miscellaneous Non-Food' :beer:
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • KatyReed+5
    KatyReed+5 Posts: 128 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, my 3rd attempt at GC, £350 i will be uner this month, i will be under this month, Ha ha, here's to hoping.

I would like to be put in for this is for food, for me this covers anything we consume over the month including eating out etc. I also allocate £75 for household spends, which for me is anything that's not consumable.

Katy
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
  • robberbutton
    Options
    Hi, I'd like to join the GC please. We are 2 adults and 3 children age 6 and under (who don't seem to eat a huge amount!). Our online shop is about £75 (inc delivery) a week, which I don't think is too bad (am happy to get it under though). There's also £34 a month fruit bag from a local scheme. BUT we also top up quite a lot during the week, which I haven't been keeping track of. So although I have in my head a monthly budget/spend of £334, realistically it will be quite a bit higher.
    Go to the ant, thou sluggard
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Rosieben - your signature made us laugh out loud :rotfl:
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport