Barclays Tax Beater Cash ISA - experiences so far (merged)

Options

Comments

• TOBRUK
    TOBRUK Posts: 2,343 Forumite
    Options
    I have been thinking of getting an ISA but the only thing that puts me off the Barclays one is that you can't manage it on the internet - it is only by phone or in person. As I don't get out much I would rather be able to manage it online - any ideas of which one would be the best online ISA? Sorry I am new to this and a bit nervous about getting one and where?!
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    TOBRUK wrote: »
    any ideas of which one would be the best online ISA?

kent reliance BS ive read has been consistent for last 2 years currently pays 5.71% on its instant access ISA all done through its head office with withdrawals through BACS or by cheque
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hereford wrote: »
    I must have been with him for 20mins to half an hour. He ignored the form completely, and asked me for all my details which he keyed into a terminal. Why he needed to know much I earned, my marital status and how many kids I have is beyond me. I just wanted to handover the cheque.

Same with me. He did at least read details from the form we had completed rather than asking again for the same information, but wanted to know all manner of irrelevant and personal details. When I queried this he explained that it was for security: so that anyone who entered the bank to withdraw my money would have to answer questions about some of these private details. Well: I would imagine the real reason is to get marketing information.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Went into local Barclays today (said I wouldn't)
    10minute queue to get the form, waited another 10 minutes, said flip this and walked out. They must be losing more customers than gaining.Daft PR
  • MrChips
    MrChips Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My experience of opening the ISA echoes some of the earlier posters.

I completed the application form online and printed it out as requested (I was a bit disappointed I had to come into a branch, surely it is possible these days to do the whole process online??). When I went in with my form and various pieces if ID, at first they wouldn't open it as I hadn't brought my plastic NI number card!! I couldn't believe it - I told them I had opened about 5 ISAs over the last few years and had never needed to produce this. On top of this it doesn't ask for it on the form, and I have written the number on the form and signed it to guarantee it is correct.

Eventually, managed to persuade them to let me at least do most of the opening process seeing as I had come all this way with the other ID proof, and that I would come back later with the card if necessary. They relented and proceeded to sit me down with an advisor who then went on to ask me in person all the same questions as are on the form. I asked him what the point of the online form was if (a) i can't submit it online, and (b) when i print it out and bring it in they don't actually use it but ask me the questions out loud while he taps them into his database. He didn't have an answer.

He also asked loads of (seemingly) irrelevent questions, like what my salary is, and (when asking where I was born) asked me how to spell "Russia". "Is that R O or R U?" :rolleyes:

However he did forget to ask me to bring in my NI number and processed it there and then - well I say processed, he actually gave me an envelope with all the paperwork and told me to go out and post it in the street...

I wasn't really impressed. Thought it would be a (at most) 5 minute in and out job and was there for over 30 minutes. Now when I tried to register for internet banking I am told that it is only available if one has a Barclays current account....

Still, it is 6.5%.... ;)
    If I had a pound for every time I didn't play the lottery...
  • Suzey
    Suzey Posts: 2,716 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MrChips wrote:
    When I went in with my form and various pieces if ID, at first they wouldn't open it as I hadn't brought my plastic NI number card!!

Oh my God, what a bunch of gimps! These people make it up as they go along!!!
    MrChips wrote:
    On top of this it doesn't ask for it on the form, and I have written the number on the form and signed it to guarantee it is correct.

And if it isn't, you're only causing more grief for yourself.
    MrChips wrote:
    I asked him what the point of the online form was if (a) i can't submit it online, and (b) when i print it out and bring it in they don't actually use it but ask me the questions out loud while he taps them into his database. He didn't have an answer.

Not surprised.
    MrChips wrote:
    He also asked loads of (seemingly) irrelevent questions, like what my salary is,

If they ask me mine, I'm asking them theirs! I bet I get banned from Barclays or some such!
    MrChips wrote:
    and (when asking where I was born) asked me how to spell "Russia". "Is that R O or R U?" :rolleyes:

Please tell me you're joking!!! You should have said "R-O-S-H-A"!!!

That reminds me of the time when a recruitment "consultant" asked me if I speak any languages "other than British".
    MrChips wrote:
    However he did forget to ask me to bring in my NI number and processed it there and then - well I say processed, he actually gave me an envelope with all the paperwork and told me to go out and post it in the street...

EH?!
    MrChips wrote:
    Now when I tried to register for internet banking I am told that it is only available if one has a Barclays current account....

I didn't know that - thanks for the heads up!
    MrChips wrote:
    Still, it is 6.5%.... ;)

Yup, but boy do you have to pay for it!

Suze
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Savings & Investments, Small Biz MoneySaving and House Buying, Renting & Selling boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the Report button, or by e-mailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • thumshie
    thumshie Posts: 631 Forumite
    Options
    Well looks like my initial concerns were warrented:
    Applied around 20th March, with a cheque in branch providing all the ID required. no real problems - but didn't ask for a receipt. On saturday i got an envelope from barclays..great i though, got my account details still got time to pay more money in..OH no..It was my application being returned(stamped 22nd in their glasgow office) asking for section 3 to be filled-sort code acc# for barclays. Took it to branch today for opening time, saw branch manager - cheque not sent with application-i,e. LOST! now had to send second application off!
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    do you have to provide ID?

i can't see it says to on the form?

i'm pretty sure i opened my A&L one online without having to provide any?
  • ukdutypaid
    ukdutypaid Posts: 346 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    thumshie wrote: »
    Well looks like my initial concerns were warrented:
    Applied around 20th March, with a cheque in branch providing all the ID required. no real problems - but didn't ask for a receipt. On saturday i got an envelope from barclays..great i though, got my account details still got time to pay more money in..OH no..It was my application being returned(stamped 22nd in their glasgow office) asking for section 3 to be filled-sort code acc# for barclays. Took it to branch today for opening time, saw branch manager - cheque not sent with application-i,e. LOST! now had to send second application off!

Similar to yours.
    Opened on 22 March and stamped. 2nd April, thought I'd check up on it.
    Went into same branch that I'd opened it in. Holborn.
    That's right, no trace of it on their system.... He said he'd chase and rang me back...
    Bare in mind, they've got a cheque of mine for 3K, here.
    That's right I've got to go back in tomorrow, all ID again (I don't carry my passport about with me!) and start all over again................
    I expected a delay, although if Barclay's don't have the systems in place to cope with the demand, then god help any one else, but not this...

Can't run off to ING now, cos I've got to cancel the cheque..... Only way I'll get the cancellation fee back for the cheque, is to (hopefully) have it refunded by Barclay's....

Moral of the story ..A stamped form, with a receipt, doth not a successfully opened ISA make.....

Check your applications folks....... Incompetent bunch of b**tards
  • thumshie
    thumshie Posts: 631 Forumite
    Options
    The ID isn't sent with the application, that it 'retained' at the branch(well thats what they told me). In my case they still had the photocopy of passport and bill, so you may not need to reprovide- unless they went one better and lost cheque+ID photocopies :)!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure