Blue Crayon's Guide to Life

in Debt free diaries
86 replies 4.6K views
Hello,

I was a member of this site many years ago, never posted a whole lot but used all the advice to get my debts paid off and head off to live the life of my dreams! Unfortunately that didn’t quite go to plan. Ooops. Fast forward to now, I’m a mature student, single, childless, have no mortgage or pension, have some debt and am almost half way through my thirties. I like to picture myself as a stylish and successful young lady on her way to better things but the more accurate description is of a rapidly aging skint woman with a crap car on her way to being the crazy cat lady who frightens all the local children.

Yesterday was a typical day, I woke up full of zeal determined to sort my life out, I then checked where I could buy the cheapest petrol and felt very pleased with myself before realising I was running late and didn’t have time to make lunch so I had to buy a sandwich more than offsetting the 60p I’d saved. Then because I had a rubbish day I treated myself to a bottle of wine and now have a headache. Wine costs money and it seems that I am treating myself to a bottle for myriad reasons, tired, stressed, happy, sad, day ending in a Y. A month off the booze would do me and my wallet a lot of good. We’ll talk about the smoking later……..

My debt ain’t too bad the total figure is £5663.15, of course that does not include student loans but I’ve decided that pretending that it is not real money and therefore doesn’t count is far preferable to sobbing myself to sleep each night. But I’m going to add potential future debt to the total and aim to get it saved so I can have a real crack at my dreams. This brings the total to an eyewatering £13558.15 and I want to have it done by the time I graduate, in 11 months time.

I’ve decided to break this down into 2 phases, I want the debt paid off plus a thousand saved in 3 months. This is nearly half of my total (48.9% to be precise) but it is doable. I have a much higher income over the summer, lots of [STRIKE]crap[/STRIKE] high quality items to sell and lower costs because I’m still sharing a place with my ex.

Time to go and write out ‘the plan.’

Thanks for reading,
Blue Crayon
Total Debt 21st October 2012: £11737.03, Total Paid: £0
Consists of real debt: £5737.03 and preventing future debt fund: £6000.
PFD is to let me have a shot at my dreams when I graduate without digging myself back into a money black hole.

Replies

• BlueCrayonBlueCrayon Forumite
    111 Posts
    DONE:
    All beauty boxes cancelled, lots of unused items in ebay box!
    Have car boot and ebay boxes ready to be filled.
    Dug out moneybox for loose change.
    Made budget cards so I can keep note on spends in each area when out and about, put in a plastic envelope so I can put receipts/coupons etc. in there.
    Budget for next month done.
    Budget and debt spreadsheet set up so I can keep track.
    Big stick obtained so I can prod the ex (henceforth referred to as Bob) when he leaves lights on, chargers plugged in etc.

TO DO:
    Freezer & cupboard inventory for menu planning.
    Inventory beauty and cleaning things so I don’t buy what I’ve already got.
    Tidy junk out of car and check fluids and tyre pressures.
    Cancel Magazine subscription (not yet started) and request refund.
    Check Student Loans have finally sorted themselves out and will be paying me next year.
    Email pictures of antique to Bonhams and Christies for appraisals.
    Chase O2 for envelope to send router back so they don’t charge me £20.
    Speak to ebay re getting 1 stars removed. Some cow bought something off me left glowing feedback and then gave me 1 star for everything! I’m going to get this taken off. She got the item 15 hours after buying it and gave me 1 star for dispatch time!
    List text books/dvds etc. on Amazon.
    Chase NatWest for account credit they’ve not given me yet & change DD for my CC.
    Look and clicks and free money on Cashback sites.
    Sign up for more surveys etc. Any tips on what to try? I’m currently with Pinecone and more would be good.
    Pick up Champix prescription to help me quit smoking.
    Tax Return
    Switch O2 BB DD to regular account.
    PFD is to let me have a shot at my dreams when I graduate without digging myself back into a money black hole.
  • snozberrysnozberry Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    swagbucks is a really good way to earn Amaz0n vouchers. There is a hugggge thread on it btw but, one word of warning - it is highly addictive! ;)

I'm going to subscribe :)
    111 Posts
    Thanks snozberry :) I've book marked the swagbucks thread and am going to go through it properly when I've finished work. Amazon vouchers are always good for textbooks and other bits I need so it could save me a fair amount of next years costs.

Today is payday so is not going to be a NSD, but I'm only spending on essentials. I've run out of cotton wool and am also running low on toner. I'm driving pretty much straight past Poundland later and am going to stop in there and pick them up. No more £10 toners for me. When the tiny tub of Philosophy Exfoliator is used (£59 :eek:) it will also be being replaced with something much cheaper. I dread to think how much money I've smeared over myself, and for nothing as I'm looking pretty rough at the moment. :cool:

Fridge and freezer are jam packed so aiming to get through the week with only getting fruit/veg from Aldi. No going to MrTs where I will be sure to be tempted by 'bargains' that I don't actually need.

Going to have a NSD tomorrow though, I can't remember the last time I did one.....

No booze today, I'm going to wake up with a clear head tomorrow!
  • WordsmithWordsmith Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Welcome, BlueCrayon. This first bit is the tricky bit, but you sound like you've thought it out.

Good luck for your clear head tomorrow. Everything will seem brighter and you will be soooo pleased that you laid off the booze.
    "Green pastures are before me,
    Which yet I have not seen;"
    I'd love to be a good example - instead, I am a horrible warning.
  • floopnoodlefloopnoodle Forumite
    262 Posts
    Good luck with it Blue Crayon, love your writing style :)
    111 Posts
    Thanks for popping by Wordsmith and Floopnoodle (great name btw).

Thought I'd explain things a little better than my original post as my targets look a little unrealistic at the moment! I'm in a good position at the moment and have a temporary job, this month if I stick to budget I'll have nearly £900 to put toward debt. The next 2 months I'll have around £600 remaining each month and then its over no chance of anymore work like this unless I'm incredibly lucky. Add the £275 in a savings account I forgot about, some big ticket items I have to sell, birthday money and money from selling my off my old collections I can hit the 3 month target.

After that it gets a bit trickier, the £1000 saved plus my student loans and grant will give me £1000 a month to live off (which I should be able to trim a chunk off even living by myself) until June when I finish Uni. Therefore anything I make in that time plus continued cash from selling off my collections (don't want to say what it was I collected as very few people sell it and I can't sell it all at once cos I'd flood the market) can be saved.

The three month target needs to be met, then I can relax and know I can live until I finish my degree which takes priority. I haven't worked this hard at it to screw it up in the final year. If I don't hit the full target by July its not the end of the world, but the sooner I get there the better. If I have to move in with my parents again for a couple of months and do literally anything I can (bar going on the game) to save cash I will so I can breathe easy and get on with life.

Bob bought a lottery ticket and has told me he'll split any winnings, fingers crossed he hits the jackpot and this is the quickest DFW journey ever :rotfl:. Bob also bought me a bottle of wine so no clear head tomorrow. I was very gracious but kindly asked if he wants to treat me in future he can take me to the bead shop instead, he said wine was cheaper than me letting loose in my mecca :cool: Bob and I have never got on as well as we have since we split up, we should have done it ages ago.

I've also decided to realign my views on treating myself. From now on I'm going to treat myself to the life I want, a life free of debt where I can work towards my dreams. For the first time since I left school I'm going to be in control of my future.

Have a great evening!

BC x
    111 Posts
    I was rather sad last night, the alcohol certainly didn't help. Looking at the figures I could have been debt free and sitting on savings if I knuckled down earlier. I could have been living my life, not stuck in feeling fat and rather lonely. Given myself a slap round the face and yanked my bootstraps up. I can't change the past and sitting around sobbing and stuffing my face with wine and chocolate isn't going to change the future.

I need to trim my waistline as well as my debt, cutting out junk food and wine and walking more will help both. I'm also going to pamper myself a lot more. I've enough beauty products to power a medium sized beauty salon for a year, even after flogging all the unused quality stuff on ebay, and am going to use them and feel good about myself. I will end up the haggard older woman, poured into a too tight top over too big a belly, with 6 inches of roots and split ends who hangs around the local pub drinking dodgy wine while obviously desperate for a sh*g before heading back to my bedsit sad and alone. I want a something a bit better thank you.

Today is bright and sunny, will have a NSD and get some of those tasks done! I got 13 BINs listed last night and also have 10 auctions not finishing for a week which are currently up to £46. This is going in the right direction.

BlueCrayon
    1.2K Posts
    BlueCrayon wrote: »
    I will end up the haggard older woman, poured into a too tight top over too big a belly, with 6 inches of roots and split ends who hangs around the local pub drinking dodgy wine while obviously desperate for a sh*g before heading back to my bedsit sad and alone.

Have we met?
    111 Posts
    Wordsmith wrote: »
    Have we met?

:rotfl: Quite possibly! We're like peas in a pod, maybe we could go on the prowl together and terrify young men!
    1.2K Posts
    Sorry you were feeling a bit blue last night. Put that aside if you can. Today is new and fresh and you are sounding positive. Absolutely YES to pampering yourself (on a budget). Good luck with the ebay items.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals