We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Amazing DELL Laptop Deals £328 Superb Spec XP or Vista

Options

Comments

• melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Please be patient - I am not very good with technology!!!

Do laptops come with a mains adaptor, or does that have to be bought separately. I know they have a battery that runs them for a few hours, but do you get a mains adaptor so you can plug them in?

Many thanks.
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• Aiadi
    Aiadi Posts: 1,840 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooooooooooooooh. Here we go. this is exactely the kind of thing that I was worried about ordering from DELL :eek: and we haven't even started yet,.
    Order was supposed to be delivered today (whole day) by the carrier Walsh Western for which I took time off work but after checking the status online followed by a phone call to their 0870 number, it seems that it has somehow been misrouted in transit and won't get to me by today.
    No contact from Dell or the carrier to notify me and only realised when I checked myself for the delivery status. Great service (NOT) and a day's work wasted.
    A quick google revealed many horror stories about Dell's delivery and C/S and I am not keeping my hopes high for a Saturday's delivery.
    Do I want it? ......Do I need it? ......What would happen if I don't buy it??????
  • mjr600
    mjr600 Posts: 760 Forumite
    Options
    Thats a shame Aiadi, seems you've been unlucky with the carrier, if you only ordered yesterday I would have been surprised of a next day delivery. The laptops come from Ireland via Holyhead and onto the carrier, 3-4 days is the norm.

For those still to order you can choose an alternative delivery address, choose your workplace and avoid taking a day off work.

Melbury, excuse me a little giggle, the laptop comes with power cord, otherwise how would you recharge the battery.

For those of you struggling with Quidco, it is fairly straightforward, persevere.
  • andyp19uk
    andyp19uk Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    ive just taken the plunge.

not knowing everything to do with laptops, i spoke to our IT department and asked their advice, the informed me that the laptop represented excellent value and would'nt look over priced at £500 - £600.

received an email which states delivery expected by 2nd April 07.

does anyone know if 10 days for delivery is the norm, or is this date very much worst case scenario.

by the way many thanks to the original poster.
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    mjr600 wrote: »
    Thats a shame Aiadi, seems you've been unlucky with the carrier, if you only ordered yesterday I would have been surprised of a next day delivery. The laptops come from Ireland via Holyhead and onto the carrier, 3-4 days is the norm.

For those still to order you can choose an alternative delivery address, choose your workplace and avoid taking a day off work.

Melbury, excuse me a little giggle, the laptop comes with power cord, otherwise how would you recharge the battery.

For those of you struggling with Quidco, it is fairly straightforward, persevere.

Thanks, told you I was a technology dinosaur! Needless to say it's not for me, it is for my son to take away to university.

Also, I don't understand all the debate about whether to go for Vista or XP. Surely everybody will want to update to Vista ASAP, or does somebody know of some great problems that will arise with it?
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• mjr600
    mjr600 Posts: 760 Forumite
    Options
    For those of you recieving delivery dates longer than expected ensure you track you laptop everyday using the reference numbers provided by Dell.

Dell will obviously carry a stock of these but if they are selling in great number then they will be building fresh ones and this has a knock on effect on delivery times.

By following the tracking you will see it go from ordered, to manufacturing, shipping and onto the carrier, every shipping location the laptop enters will show online including the fact that it goes onto a van for delivery.

It may well arrive before the date provided but you'll only know if you track it, if you miss it and aren't in, then the original delivery date it is !
  • rose28454
    rose28454 Posts: 4,950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    onthelook wrote: »
    If you phone Dell they will upgrade to vista premiium for £23.50 but i think you then have to upgrade the memory aswell to a 2gig as 1 is not enough.
    I stuck with the vista basic on my 6400 and it runs fine for everything i have used it for up to now.

Hi
    Do you call after placing the order on the internet or before? Also do I need 1 years warranty or is 90 days enough?
    Thanks
  • ScratUK
    ScratUK Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    melbury wrote: »
    Please be patient - I am not very good with technology!!!

Do laptops come with a mains adaptor, or does that have to be bought separately. I know they have a battery that runs them for a few hours, but do you get a mains adaptor so you can plug them in?

Many thanks.

Yes they always come with a mains adapter - its needed to charge the battery ;o)

Laptops rarely run "for a few hours" - 90 mins to 2 hours would be closer to the mark.
    Not everything that's cheap is a bargain
  • stunno
    stunno Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    mjr600 wrote: »

The site would only let me choose my home address for "security reasons"
  • rose28454
    rose28454 Posts: 4,950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hi
    I just ordered mine on the phone. Although I missed out on Quidco I was able to order Vista Home Premium for £29.00 and was able to choose an alternative delivery address. Total price £427.32 ( my sister bought it for me through her business as I am her bookkeeper so price net of VAT £363.68!!! A bargain !!! Many thanks for this post.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport