We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Amazing DELL Laptop Deals £328 Superb Spec XP or Vista

Options

Comments

• pinkemsy
    pinkemsy Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    I'd really appreciate some advice of how best to do this. I want to play music, download, keep photos, use Office package etc. Additionally, I have Adobe Photoshop and Quark Express on my current laptop. The Photoshop will be relatively easy to transfer. However, Quark was part of the Computer Shopper magazine - does anyoen know how I can trasnfer it?

I'm ok with computers, but the difference between Vista Basic and Premium confuses me as does transferring Quark. Also - new to Quidco, I could go via them but making the call to get Vista upgrad efor £25 wouldn't be tracked?

If anyone can give me advice on how best to go about all this I'd be very grateful.
  • Vegas
    Vegas Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Theres a good comparison here http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

There are four relevant versions of Vista - Basic, Home Premium, Business and Ultimate.

The basic version included with this laptop (if you select it) is pretty stripped down - as you can see from the comparison chart it doesn't have:

The 3D Aero Interface - this is one of the selling points of the product
    Windows Media Centre - this too is great for music, video and photos etc.
    Remote Desktop - you can't remotely operate the PC without using a 3rd party application like VNC
    Backup Application - you might not use this, but it's sometimes useful
    Other stuff - less important, DVD maker etc.

The Business Version of Vista does have Aero, Remote Desktop and Backup but still no Media Centre. IMO the best Vista for home is Home Premium (if you're on a budget) or Ultimate (if you want everything, and can afford it).

It's also worth mentioning that Vista Home Premium runs fine for me with 1GB RAM (using it now) so don't panic if that's all you have.

Hope this helps. Off to bed now!
  • dn852k4
    dn852k4 Posts: 148 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mjr600 wrote: »
    If you buy it through Quidco you need to locate the deal, you will do that by searching for the laptop using the Dell evalue code.

The evalue code for the Vista 1501 is 305 N03153

the Xp is 305 N03153 XP

After going to the Dell site you need to find the evalue search page, search evalue in the search box in the top rh corner, click the link it finds and put the codes in on that page, it will locate the deal, you can buy it and fingers crossed Quidco will have tracked it for your cashback !

Help! When I put the code in I get redirected to this page: https://signin.dell.com/delllogin/portal/login.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~p=premier_unrecognized
  • kizziedog
    kizziedog Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks to MJR600 for this post. I've ordered 2. The spec and price are excellent.
    One of the main criteria for me was the availabilty of XP - I wouldn't touch Vista at this stage of development. I haven't been able to track XP thorugh Dell except for the link in the first post of this thread.
    Thanks again
  • robmcdougal90
    Options
    There going for more on ebay aswell, wish i could afford it :(
  • Janeyjaz
    Janeyjaz Posts: 544 Forumite
    Options
    if anybody wants a case for the notebook - PC world are doing the Antler leather case for £24.99 online only, but you can collect at store - instore price is £59.99 - quite a bargain
    Titch :)
  • ajbrynoffa
    ajbrynoffa Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    just ordered the vista one...just a quick query if anyone can help....how long will a fully charged up 6 cell battery last?
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
  • davemuk
    davemuk Posts: 143 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ajbrynoffa wrote: »
    just ordered the vista one...just a quick query if anyone can help....how long will a fully charged up 6 cell battery last?

I have the single core 2ghz Turion version I bought a couple of months back. That lasts up to 3hrs with a bright screen setting. If you reduce this to about half way, it will last about 3 1/2 hrs (ish). Of course if you do more intensive work than email/surf this will be less.

HTH

Dave
  • triplea35
    triplea35 Posts: 339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Found the deal through the links OK - great - but when I go through Quidco I cant find the same deal.Tried codes without result and even saved deal yo basket but when gone back into site through Quidco basket is empty. Can anyone help - want as a birthday present for my son Cheers
  • horsenailbucket
    Options
    Cheers, just ordered one, great spec.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business