We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Amazing DELL Laptop Deals £328 Superb Spec XP or Vista

Options

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    have a look at post 9

thanks, but clearly with MCE you wouldn't need to have a memory upgrade as well, so it's not quite the same...
  • satan666wayne
    satan666wayne Posts: 1,023 Forumite
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    thanks, but clearly with MCE you wouldn't need to have a memory upgrade as well, so it's not quite the same...
    Sorry i was hinting at the first part, as in yes ring the and they will at a cost.
  • paultw5
    paultw5 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    This will probably sound stupid, but do these laptops come with sound.

I'm no techie, but can't see any ref to sound on the Dell site....

Cheers Paul........
  • mjr600
    mjr600 Posts: 760 Forumite
    Options
    Paul

It has sound, don't worry and a headphone output.
  • catuk
    catuk Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    er indoors been nagging me for ages lol!
  • paultw5
    paultw5 Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks mjr600,

Think i will take the plunge for the cheapy, upgrade the battery, then through Quidco.......

Paul.........
  • moneysaver05_2
    Options
    i was wondering is the amd turion the eqivalent of the cor2dueo?...and does the AMD® Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL50 processor come with builtin wirless tec? or will you need a seperate wirless cards?
    thank you
  • ahll
    ahll Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    what is the problem with Vista Home Basic ? Isnt that enough do u need the Premium one ?

My freind is looking for a laptop and I was wondering what the main difference is between this and a 6400 ?

She only wants it for internet use, work at home and storing and looking at Photos...which is best ?

She will need onsite coverage thought as she has a habit of breaking techie things.

I understand the 6 cell battery is better...what else should I be bearing in mind ?

Is it worth getting the TL52 rather than the TL50 costing £47 more?
    "The time is always right to do what is right"
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    Idiophreak wrote: »
    that's really dumb "dell recommends geniune windows xp media center" - but we won't let you buy it.

Do you think if I rang up they'd be able to offer an MCE upgrade?

Unlikely, they'll push a Vista version. (Probably premium or Ultimate)

Befgore long there will bew no XP models avaialbe to buy MS will stop allowing it to be sold on a new system without jumping through many many hoops. You can always buy a Vista machine and down grade it the licence shold cover that, but then you have to source all the media and drivers.
  • pspinsight
    pspinsight Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Just gone for the Vista version with the suggested 6 cell battery upgrade.

My strict budget of £350 has finally been matched by a laptop without any significant corners being cut*, so Dell have hit something of a 'sweet spot' from my point of view. Been waiting some months in true money-saving style :)

Ahll - If all your friend needs a laptop for is what you say, this machine will be perfectly fine. Mine is mainly for use by my partner (and occasionally my parents) for similar things and I'm more than happy with this spec.

Enjoy!

*If you're already enjoying Windows Media Edition, you might prefer Vista Premium, but if Dell won't offer this you can purchase the upgrade for under £60 online later anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport