Goodbye Mortgage - the beginning of the end!

Options

Comments

• Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Due to our car insurance going down I was able to adjust the amount we put aside for it each month and move some back into savings also. Hopefully the amount we 'owe' ourselves should be paid back at the end of the month, or very close to if not. Then we can concentrate on adding to it!

Pretty sure we won't reach the £5K target as we're almost half way through the year but will be chuffed if we get to £2.5K+. :)

Balance now £93,376.94 as yesterdays normal DD went through. Hopefully we'll be into the £92K's next month. :D

Made a smoothie for breakfast - pineapple juice, bananas, strawberries and a dash of lime juice. It was lovely!
  • Beckyy
    Options
    Happy easter everyone :)

My egg is... polished off :o but we still have our freebie malteaser bunnies courtesy of Mr.T!

I'm going to set myself a little challenge for May:
    • Pay back savings fully
    • Save £500 into 2014 pot
    • OP £275
    It will definitely be a challenge but a good way to kick our new savings pot off and pull in the reigns a bit.

I need to be very careful with our food budget. We've been on a bit of a health drive and have really upped our fruit and veg intake, with the help of aldi and local veg box, however this has pushed our budget up. We're well stocked up on basics so I'm just going to join the May challenge and try and be firmer with myself!

Home Insurance renewal has just come in, it's surprisingly competitive and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to find it cheaper elsewhere!
  • julliff
    julliff Posts: 625 Forumite
    Options
    Happy Easter Beckyy!

Blimey.. chocolate egg finished by 7.15am! Thats serious chocoholism! hehe
    "Carpe Diem"
    MFW - Starting mortgage April 2010 - 120,000
    MFW - restart Nov 2013 - £70207.88 & £14086.49
    Current balance - £62459.49 & £10380.19

• RoaringTwenties
    Options
    Beckyy wrote: »
    Happy easter everyone :)

My egg is... polished off :o but we still have our freebie malteaser bunnies courtesy of Mr.T!

I'm going to set myself a little challenge for May:
    • Pay back savings fully
    • Save £500 into 2014 pot
    • OP £275
    It will definitely be a challenge but a good way to kick our new savings pot off and pull in the reigns a bit.

I need to be very careful with our food budget. We've been on a bit of a health drive and have really upped our fruit and veg intake, with the help of aldi and local veg box, however this has pushed our budget up. We're well stocked up on basics so I'm just going to join the May challenge and try and be firmer with myself!

Home Insurance renewal has just come in, it's surprisingly competitive and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to find it cheaper elsewhere!

Hi Beckyy, wow that is impressive on the choc egg front! I think the extra fruit & veg offsets it, you know, like carbon or perhaps more appropriately mortgage offsetting :rotfl:

Our car insurance renewal has just done the same thing! I'm going to check it out but if this is the best we get I'm happy with it :T

Happy Easter xx
    Life is changing...but I'm still Money Saving!
  • Beckyy
    Options
    I may have tucked in a little early ;)

Thanks for stopping by, Happy Easter!
  • Beckyy
    edited 21 April 2014 at 4:30PM
    Options
    I've just done our home insurance renewal.

No cheaper quotes elsewhere, a massive difference actually!

I don't have automatic renewal with our current insurer, so I got a new quote from them and took it out via £co. It actually came in £4 cheaper than our renewal quote for the same cover, and we should hopefully get £18 cashback. (Now tracked :j)

It also came in under the budget I allowed to have transferred the extra over to savings. Very happy with that!

Had a few more £ cashback confirmed on £co. Really ought to do some more bingo sites soon, was a little put off when the Iceland one did track properly and was hoping it would be sorted by now but doesn't mean to say the others won't be okay - easy cashback as long as it does track. Good job I'm not a big bingo fan!

Update: Bingo for cashback done. £10 deposited, won a small amount so only cost me £2.68. Should get £25 cashback so will be £22.32 up (tracked also, phew :))
  • lilmissmup
    lilmissmup Posts: 6,884 Forumite
    Options
    Well done on the insurance!!!
    Now a SAHM trying to earn some spare pennies each month
  • Beckyy
    Options
    I just wish life didn't make you waste money on stuff life that!

Had our first electricity bill in with new supplier. Was a bit confused at first as they said they wanted to put our DD up from £44pm to over £60pm, but once we had the bill through they said it was fine to stay at £44 as was on track for the rest of the year, despite us now being £55 in debit! Need to start being more mindful of using too much!

Could be a good excuse to get the lovely new super efficient Neff oven I've had my eye on for a while! :rotfl:

Having celeriac for the first time tonight, we got it in our veg box. I'm not a massive celery fan but happy to try it, just hope we don't get one again next week too!
  • Beckyy
    Options
    Our savings are paid back :j!

I've also OP'd £50 towards May's target.

OH's car passed it's MOT :D

I bought the daily record today for £5 off a £40 shop at aldis, might pick up a 2nd copy later to stock up on things!

Here's to a (hopefully) frugal May :beer:
  • Beckyy
    Options
    A few £ cashback added into savings. Just waiting for some money to clear to make May's main OP!

The weather and a busy week at work has made my healthy exercising plan grind to a halt, suprising how good exercise makes you feel, really hoping the weather improves for the rest of the week as I seem to be swapping veg for reduced malteaser bunnies at an alarming rate this week.

I've done quite a few extra hours at work this week, needed to as have had a quiet month so far.

Need to book a couple of services for BTL, and then for ourselves so will be tight on the May £500 saving target!

Planning to use our 2nd aldi voucher today, despite the increased minimum spend, will have enough cat litter to last a very long time!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure