Goodbye Mortgage - the beginning of the end!

Options
1474849505153»

Comments

• Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Progress is slower once you become a parent I've found.

£50 OP made this month. Slowly chipping away at the mortgage. I desperately want to save for a holiday as we've rarely gone away, and we need to save 'just in case' as our boiler is prehistoric and hasn't been too healthy lately. It's hard to know what to pay to where!

I hope everyone is well :)
  • Silence101
    Silence101 Posts: 396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes, especially when the children are very young! I didn't return to work after having mine as childcare would have wiped out my earnings. We've just got a mortgage, and we're planning to overpay but it's very much small amounts until youngest goes to school! I can only dream of paying £200+ on a regular basis (I think we might manage £100 if we're very careful)
  • lilmissmup
    lilmissmup Posts: 6,884 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, I am just currently trying to keep us out of debt and survive! :p
    Now a SAHM trying to earn some spare pennies each month
  • Beckyy
    Options
    Over a year with no updates, and next to no OP's... oh dear.

We did however have the (very carefully planned) family holiday I'd be dreaming of last year, and still have the prehistoric boiler...

I don't see much changing for the rest of this year but I'm hoping that by the end of the month we should have a total picture of our costs for things next year (as long as prehistoric boiler doesn't finally die!) and I can make a realistic OP plan that can enable us to still make some Ops whilst do some much needed home improvements and a couple of visits to family.

I hope everyone is well!
  • Beckyy
    Options
    Ho hum... almost 2019.

So this year hasn't been the best year OP wise, one last small one made. I'm hoping that next year will be better, but being realistic it's unlikely, although I am aiming to make a regular monthly OP - it just won't be much!

We really need to do some costly home improvements, and visits to family are also coming in quite expensive, along with a course which I need to pay fees for and our childcare bill. We also still have the prehistoric boiler... Excuses, excuses... however, I will do my best!

Mortgage balance is currently £67,823.96. It's a huge amount less than the £102,000 we originally started with, which is massive motivation.

Happy New Year everyone!
  • A_Frayed_Knot
    Options
    Hi Beckyy, thought I would let you know, my mum's boiler is coming up for 30 years old :eek: and will hopefully continue without needing any repairs (touch wood :)), so you may have some life in your old boiler yet :D

Keep up with the o/p's however small, they really do help, you know.

I used to look at the last 3 or 4 digits in my mortgage balance and try and o/p to bring it to 00.00 at the end, or looked at the interest amount added and tried to do the same with that figure and or mortgage figure. (Hope that makes sense) :whistle:
    Always have 00.00 at the end of your mortgage and one day it will all be 0's :dance:
    MF[STRIKE] March 2030[/STRIKE] Yes that does say 2030 :eek: Mortgage Free 21.12.18 _party_
    Now a Part Timer from 27.10.19
  • Beckyy
    Options
    A Frayed Knot, wow! I can only hope our boiler has such a long life span, it's lovely to know there's hope! :j

It certainly does make sense, thank you for stopping by!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure