Goodbye Mortgage - the beginning of the end!

Options

Comments

• Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    That brings July to an end with a total OP of £350.

Hopefully August will bring a larger OP... trying to make the most of it before maternity leave!

I've applied to change of electricity tariff. It should save us about £8 a month and give us some cashback for the actual switch.

I've been looking at out phone line/broadband. I'm considering changing totally, there are a couple of deals which work out cheaper than we are currently paying (but not after the initial deal period). We've been with our current provider for quite a long time now and I can't complain so I'm not champing at the bit to change but I know I ought to if it's a big difference. I will weight up the numbers in the coming days/weeks and decide!
  • Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How're things going, Beckyy? Hope all is well! :)
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • Beckyy
    Options
    Thanks for stopping by Pearla! All is well thank you, I hope you are too :)

I haven't made any August OPs yet but I'm hoping to in the next few days. Our interest rate is dropping to 1.24% in line with the drop in base rate, until our fix is finished next Summer anyway.

I've still got a couple of weeks left at work before my leave starts, I'm planning to do plenty of batch cooking so we have some homemade food readily available. There's also quite a lot I want to get done around the house so here's hoping I get round to it all.

£26 £co cashed out in amazon vouchers to get the 2% bonus - planning to get a few baby things from there so might as well get the extra!
  • Beckyy
    Options
    £23 OPd from rewards/cashback. I feel like our balance is coming down so much quicker with each OP now. We've almost reached our target for 2016, I'm hoping we'll be able to go quite a way past it but will be more limited once I'm on maternity leave.
  • Beckyy
    Options
    Mortgage balance now: £79,152.29

I've started Christmas shopping, the plan is to get most presents bought before baby arrives so we don't have to worry about it too much at the last minute. Lots of people have been complaining that Christmas things are in the shops already but I'm actually quite glad when I need to buy it all early this year.

I'm starting on the batch cooking for after baby is here also. Tomorrow is roasted veg lasagne, macaroni cheese and roast beef/yorkshire puddings. I'm aiming to have at least a few weeks of main meals, and other stock cupboard item stored up so we don't really need to do any big shops other than odd things here and there.

I hope everybody is getting on well.
  • Beckyy
    Options
    Current mortgage balance: £78,763.50

Our monthly payment has now dropped from £418.29 to £407.52 to reflect our rate dropping. Just OP'd £11 to make up the difference.

I've finally started looking into our line rental/broadband. Now our line rental saver has finished up we're paying £37.98 a month for unlimited fibre and line rental with Plusnet. Sky have a deal for similar products at half the price for 12months, then 50p cheaper after this, and SSE also have a deal which is just a few £ more each month so I need to give Plusnet a ring to see if they can match this (I'm awful at things like that!) or switch.
  • Beckyy
    Options
    Current mortgage balance: £78,534.44

A further £200 OP made which hasn't come off the balance yet. It will be the last until next month unless we get any cashback etc. through meantime.

I've gone past our 2016 target of £2500 now which is great, so unofficially aiming for £3500 now - not sure how do-able it will be on maternity leave but here's hoping :)
  • lilmissmup
    Options
    Hi Becky, hope all is well, can't be long until baby is here now?
    Now a SAHM trying to earn some spare pennies each month
  • jodles16
    jodles16 Posts: 1,477 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Hi Beckyy, you are doing amazingly with the OPs! That balance is coming down so quickly! Best of luck with the batch cooking and baby prep!

Jodles :D
    MFW2020 #115 250/3000 J-250
    1% challenge- /1525
    Save 1k in 2020- /3000

Joining in UberFrugalMonthChallenge set up by the Frugalwoods!
  • Beckyy
    Options
    Thank you both!

Baby is actually due now but no sign yet. Batch cooking has been going well though and the freezer is just about full, all the bigger stuff is sorted so just pottering around doing little bits and pieces now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure