Goodbye Mortgage - the beginning of the end!

Options

Comments

• Pearla*Merle
    Pearla*Merle Posts: 1,611 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Ooh, exciting times! :D Hope all goes well xx
    a penny picker upper. MFW approx 78% to go | FIRE 3 years worth (30% savings rate: now aiming for 40%!) | Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it | Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible | The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library
  • lilmissmup
    lilmissmup Posts: 6,884 Forumite
    Options
    Hope baby is here soon!
    Now a SAHM trying to earn some spare pennies each month
  • lilmissmup
    Options
    Hope all is well with you and baby :) I know how hard it is to post ha ha
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you lilmissmup! I hope you're well.

So, 2017 is here!

The last few months we didn't manage OPs, partly due to expensive months but mainly down to lack of time to follow finances and do things after baby arrived.

I've signed up to MFW 2017 with a goal of £3000. That has manly been plucked out of the air, because I just scarped that this year. However it may have to change as I'm unsure what returning to work PT/childcare costs and our mortgage fix ending will mean.

Meantime, I'm going to work out some goals for this year. Not just financial but general household things which I'd like to work towards/keep up...
  • lilmissmup
    Options
    Good luck. 2.5 years on from having my baby I am still struggling to keep a track!!! :rotfl:
  • Beckyy
    Options
    I'm still using baby brain as an excuse, I'm hoping that one's got some mileage left yet :rotfl: I hope you and little one are well?

I'm currently looking at childcare for when I return to work, the waiting lists are insane and our choices are already limited by location so it's highly unlikely there will be any competitions based on price!

At the moment I need to cut back on our energy usage (our poor tumble dryer doesn't know what's happened the last few months) and also change our supplier again. Once that's done I'll sort out the rest of my goals for the next few months/year!
  • lilmissmup
    Options
    Maddie goes to nursery just 2 mornings a week and its so expensive, but i fell in love with the expensive one!
  • Beckyy
    edited 12 May 2017 at 7:57AM
    Options
    I've finally got round to posting! I hope Millie enjoys nursery lilmissmup? We'll be starting soon :O

I've completed a few things from my big to do list.

- Arranged childcare for my return to work
    - Changed our broadband/phone provider
    - Chosen our follow on product for when our mortgage rate ends soon
    - Changed our electricity tariff

I was contemplating starting a new diary but will plod along with this one for now... I don't think I do enough posts to warrant a new one!

My imminent return to work is looming, I'm disappointed at the loss of income we will have after my reduced hours and childcare costs but it's no surprise and I can't complain. It will be a good challenge to still try and OP as we are down basically all the money we were saving/OPing.

New goals:

- Complete a monthly meal plan (big challenge for me, I usually just do a week at a time!)
    - Sell the rest of our too-small baby clothes and items.
    - Look into childcare voucher scheme properly.
    - Work out a new OP plan

I hope everyone is doing well!
  • Beckyy
    Options
    My posts are almost non existent lately and I still haven't completed my to do list. Oh dear!

My return to work is getting closer and our finances will be totally different then with a considerable childcare bill and my reduced wage. I'm still not certain if exact figures until I sort the childcare voucher scheme but it will certainly impact on savings and OPs. I'm hoping I will still be able to make this years target but it will take a lot of work!
  • Beckyy
    edited 1 August 2017 at 8:48AM
    Options
    Just passed the £12,000 mark for total OPs!

They've ground to almost a halt recently but I will keep them up, and hopefully they'll creep back up again as our £3000 goal this year isn't looking likely at the moment. There are quite a few things I'm splitting any leftover money between and with childcare and a reduced wage it's not what it used to be!

I'm using quite a few more apps like receipt scanners and quizzes to earn vouchers or £, very small amounts but easy to do, hopefully they'll pay for presents through the year.

I hope everyone is getting on well!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport