Do your own wedding flowers

Options

Comments

• MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    *Louise* wrote: »
    :rotfl:They got a lot of chuckles on the day - I still have them in my cabinet, DD loves looking at them. :j

Seriously though, you will be fine with foam. Perhaps the sellers are trying to encourage more people to use the silk ;) but the best testament I can give you is that I took one of the table decs to a relatives grave after the wedding and the foam flowers survived 18months - only the 3 major snowfalls this winter have managed to finish them off.

If that's not tough for a fake flower then I dunno what is :rotfl:

Ok I'm definitely going for foam then. Where did you get your supplies from. I've been looking at ebay but not sure if that's the best deal?
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Options
    I got all mine from either ebay or Hobbycraft :)

Ebay is best for bulk buying
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • twirlypinky
    twirlypinky Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Options
    I put the beginnings of my felt and button flowers on flickr last night, they're coming on rather well i think. H2b thinks i need to put some white ones in though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27116994@N03/

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif
    spaceball.gif
    saving up another deposit as we've lost all our equity.
    We're 29% of the way there...
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Options
    I put the beginnings of my felt and button flowers on flickr last night, they're coming on rather well i think. H2b thinks i need to put some white ones in though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27116994@N03/

spaceball.gif

spaceball.gif
    spaceball.gif

Cool :D

How long has it taken you so far to make them?:T
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
  • twirlypinky
    twirlypinky Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    Options
    Not very long at all really, i can do a few in an evening, i did five on saturday. I didn't do any at all over christmas.

I've seen so many stunning ones on flickr though, i think i need to do something a bit different... I need the white in there, and i think i might do a little bit of different stitching. I might also just have to bite the bullet with the yellow and have some brighter ones, I wanted it to look muted, but i think it just looks dull :(
    saving up another deposit as we've lost all our equity.
    We're 29% of the way there...
  • celyn90
    celyn90 Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    My bouquet is still a work in progress (I'm waiting for white florist tape to arrive) - it looks like this at the moment :) I've still got more sprays to add, it needs binding together, the handle covering, then is going to be surrounded in blue organza. I'm getting there, but it's quite fiddly :) I wasn't going to bother, but thought I'd have a go when I was sorting out my button box and found some lovely old glass buttons. The rest of the stuff is just from my craft stash and a bunch of broken jewellery parts.
    boquetWIP1.jpg

bouquetwip2.jpg

The wires were in my sugarcraft box; they are just white coated florist wires; I use them for cake toppers normally :) cel x
    :staradmin:starmod: beware of geeks bearing .gifs...:starmod::staradmin
    :starmod: Whoever said "nothing is impossible" obviously never tried to nail jelly to a tree :starmod:
  • emsbet
    emsbet Posts: 5,237 Forumite
    Options
    Wow! That's beautiful celyn! Well done you! :T

xx
    :A 09.06.11:A 07.10.11:A
    Gorgeous baby boy born 16.09.12 :happylove

:kisses2:The world moves for love. It kneels before it in awe :kisses2:

Patience is a virtue I lack! :p
  • neilcrook
    Options
    If anyone lives in North East area i have been getting artificial flowers from two warehouses - need to be a business but can be literally any business or can be recommended to one by a friend.

JTF Warehouse, North Shields - recommend by a friend - i go regularly on a weds evening normally if those local needed a card could post it or something.

The other is Trevor Green, Washington - you need to be a business but if you know anyone in the trade or can ask your work if you could use their business you can get in. there's some brilliant ideas for Centrepieces in there too and a lilly bouquet with 6 lillies on was 24p (excl VAT) :-)

Good luck :)
    Jenna
    :DStolen the OH's account so it's Jenna - not Neil:D
  • southwestmaid
    Options
    celyn90 wrote: »
    My bouquet is still a work in progress (I'm waiting for white florist tape to arrive) - it looks like this at the moment :) I've still got more sprays to add, it needs binding together, the handle covering, then is going to be surrounded in blue organza. I'm getting there, but it's quite fiddly :) I wasn't going to bother, but thought I'd have a go when I was sorting out my button box and found some lovely old glass buttons. The rest of the stuff is just from my craft stash and a bunch of broken jewellery parts.
    boquetWIP1.jpg

bouquetwip2.jpg

The wires were in my sugarcraft box; they are just white coated florist wires; I use them for cake toppers normally :) cel x

Beautiful and so original....
  • sandraann
    Options
    I'm a wedding photographer and have photographed several weddings where the family did their own flowers.The preparation of the flowers seemed to be the main issue and I think I'm correct in saying that a florist will condition their flowers. I like to use the flowers as a backdrop to the rings etc and they're especially important for storybook type albums.In one case the flowers had wilted by reception time and it was a real shame . Where it did make a real difference was when the home was nicely decorated with flowers in the morning time and something as simple as flowers on the door was great to photograph
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure