Do your own wedding flowers

Options

Comments

• mayurarohtagi
    Options
    Hello you Just make sure that if you need specific flowers for your theme then order them specially from the florist
  • pollyhelen
    pollyhelen Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    hi all, im thinking about wedding flowers too - ideally not spending more than about £20 (does that make me cheap!) and am wondering about something simple like red roses for the buttonholes and a bunch of red roses for me to carry. Nobody has mentioned anything so simple - am I missing something? Will it all collapse or is this possible? Any advice or suggestions gratefully received - Oct wedding this year.

Thanks!!!
    Debt free March 2010
    Focussing on babies and paying off the mortgage! :)
  • caitybabes
    caitybabes Posts: 442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

Just came across these potential buttonholes on John Lewis: 25 white rose decorations for £15 (and you get a nice crate too).

http://www.johnlewis.com/230853166/Product.aspx

They are basically rose heads with separate green stems but I reckon they could make pretty good buttonholes as long as they stay as one piece (perhaps glue would help?)

Anyway, thought they might be a good find, hope that helps someone.

Cait
  • Blue_Button
    Options
    Hi Polly. Simple often looks stunning. And if you wanted to go really simple why not just carry one long stemmed rose on its own.
  • MrsCarder2b
    Options
    Hello, i've just been reading this thread and it is amazing. I'm getting married in 3 weeks and flowers have never really been that important to me as i see them as an expensive decoration that will be wasted at the end of the day.

We have always said that we would make all of our bouquets/button holes ourself, but out of curosity i contacted a friend's florists just to see how much a discounted rate would be...................i was shocked, as what i want is pretty simple anyway. The price for a bouquet of calla lillies with white freesias simply tied plus 2 bouquets of white carnations with freesias for bridesmaids and 9 buttonholes was £244!!!

Now i am most def going to do the project myself as i feel that this will also give it a more sentimental aspect too, but.......................does anyone know anything about how i can go about ordering in bunches of calla lillies and freesias on their own as all of the links in this thread seem to take me to wholesale sites and i don't think i meet with the min wholesale order? Plus, has anyone been to the Birmingham flower market? (as this is near me) What is it like? do you just turn up? and is there a min order?

Many thanks xx
  • Sammy85_2
    Sammy85_2 Posts: 1,741 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all!

Dont know if there is anyone here from Cumbria, but if there is, i am looking for someone to help me do my flower arrangements for my wedding in June 2011. I cant manage it all by myself, but simply cant afford to pay florists rates.

I will of course supply the flowers and all other bits of kits, plus drinks and snacks!!

Really really need some help. Pllllleeeeaaaasssseeeee
    :jProud mummy to a beautiful baby girl born 22/12/11 :j
  • fruitcake_2
    fruitcake_2 Posts: 728 Forumite
    edited 10 June 2010 at 6:29PM
    Options
    Hi, have read all the posts on flowers with great eagerness as my friend, who has left things REALLY last minute has had a quote from a lady who does flowers from home and isn't sure if she is being charged too much, I thought I would post the quote on here and ask for your wise eyes and thoughts, I have no idea if she has been given a fair price or not, she is getting married in the first week of July this year, so this might be the best she can get.

Brides floral design
    Large tear drop fresh-enc Roses white & Orange, Gerbera, Bear Grass, spray carnation, Organza ivory/cream wired ruffled, Pearls on Bear Grass and wired through Hand tied due to size: length approx 24 ‘’ and 10’’ with at widest part –extra foliage/gypsophylia required for filling. £80
    Bridesmaid
    Traditional rose with pearl extensions. £40
    Grooms Button holes incorporating large ivory with smaller peach/orange roses and foliage, plus 4 others all male no pearls/ frills roses foliage and gypsophylia. £21
    11 table arrangements Gerbera surprise designs in base decorated with organza silk to match- £165
    Head Table Large double ended display£45
    Organza Cake table deco/ drinks table/buffet table & head table including diamante butterflies £60
    Organza Bows prepared for pew ends x 6 including diamante butterflies £24
    Organza pillar decorations x 2 (incorporating 4 bows in total plus drape) including diamante butterflies £20.

Any opinions appreciated.

• fruitcake_2
    fruitcake_2 Posts: 728 Forumite
    Options
    Really..? Noone? Or is it that the prices are so good that you're all aghast at my ignorance for not noticing.....?
  • Emmypenny
    Emmypenny Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry Fruitcake - I'm not at that stage yet so I've no idea!
    Maybe a post on the main Weddings board will get a better response?
  • *Louise*
    *Louise* Posts: 9,197 Forumite
    Options
    fruitcake wrote: »
    Hi, have read all the posts on flowers with great eagerness as my friend, who has left things REALLY last minute has had a quote from a lady who does flowers from home and isn't sure if she is being charged too much, I thought I would post the quote on here and ask for your wise eyes and thoughts, I have no idea if she has been given a fair price or not, she is getting married in the first week of July this year, so this might be the best she can get.

Brides floral design
    Large tear drop fresh-enc Roses white & Orange, Gerbera, Bear Grass, spray carnation, Organza ivory/cream wired ruffled, Pearls on Bear Grass and wired through Hand tied due to size: length approx 24 ‘’ and 10’’ with at widest part –extra foliage/gypsophylia required for filling. £80
    Bridesmaid
    Traditional rose with pearl extensions. £40
    Grooms Button holes incorporating large ivory with smaller peach/orange roses and foliage, plus 4 others all male no pearls/ frills roses foliage and gypsophylia. £21
    11 table arrangements Gerbera surprise designs in base decorated with organza silk to match- £165
    Head Table Large double ended display£45
    Organza Cake table deco/ drinks table/buffet table & head table including diamante butterflies £60
    Organza Bows prepared for pew ends x 6 including diamante butterflies £24
    Organza pillar decorations x 2 (incorporating 4 bows in total plus drape) including diamante butterflies £20.

Any opinions appreciated.

Actually - looking at the breakdown and considering the flowers are fresh ones I think she has got a very reasonable quote compared to some prices I have seen!!

As a total it sounds a lot, but if it includes everything then I think it would be hard to beat.
    Cross Stitch Cafe member No. 3
    2012 170-194 2013 195-207.Hello Kitty ballerina 208.AVA 209.OLIVIA 210.ELLA 211.CARLA 212.LOUISE 213.CHARLEY 214.Mother & Child 215.Stop Faffing Completed 2014 216.Stitchers Sampler. 217.Let Them Be Small 218.Keep Calm 219. Ups and downs 220. Annniversary piece 221. 2x Teachers gifts 222. Peacock 223. Tooth Fairy 224. Beth Birth pic 225. Circe the Sorceress Cards x 24
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure