Do your own wedding flowers

Options

Comments

• lupyloo
    lupyloo Posts: 941 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I did exactly this too!! They look amazing (wish I had pics to show you!) Ended up splitting 6 of the dunelm bouquets and making into 5 - one big one for me and 4 smaller bridemaids ones, added some extra dark foliage, diamonte pins (a few pounds for a whole box from hobbycraft), cream ribbon held in place with a diamonte pin too. They look sooo good and the total spend was about £40. Got some of their bunches of tea roses too (the dark foliage came from these) and turned into buttonholes with a few little diamontes. And cake toppers. Bargain!

Best of all, cheap and chips and now the flowers are all sat in my mums house ready to go come Jan, and as the venue are providing cream roses for the tables, no florists to rely on :D x

P.s. I can't seem to get a link to work but go to dunelm mill website and type in 'artificial rose bouquet' then bring up the white x

Thank you so much for the ideas everyone> only decided 2 days ago to finally get married after being engaged for 11years!!!! Of course money saving all the way. Couldnt believe my luck when I saw the bouqets on special and snapped them up. £14.98 for 4 bunches so got 2 lots. Plenty of flowers for £30.00, thanks again:A
    Clixsense since 31.01.16 $122.13 Neo bux since 31.01.16 400 RR $1018.00
    Swagbucks since 27.09.15 £310 amazon gc, $50.00 Steam gc £100.00 paypal 2,805 points to cash out
  • NearlyMrsMac
    Options
    Is anyone doing your own floral centrepieces? I have booked a florist to do our bouquets/button holes as I decided I couldn't handle doing those & one large table display for the church which will be our main display for the reception - but I need about 13 centrepieces for tables as well and am struggling to consider paying so much for them! Has anyone done your own centrepieces with real flowers? I am so tempted to just chance a few trips to tesco/asda etc to find sunflower bouquets and pop them in vases on the table but this could be a very silly plan!
  • Scotsbride
    Scotsbride Posts: 960 Forumite
    Options
    Is anyone doing your own floral centrepieces? I have booked a florist to do our bouquets/button holes as I decided I couldn't handle doing those & one large table display for the church which will be our main display for the reception - but I need about 13 centrepieces for tables as well and am struggling to consider paying so much for them! Has anyone done your own centrepieces with real flowers? I am so tempted to just chance a few trips to tesco/asda etc to find sunflower bouquets and pop them in vases on the table but this could be a very silly plan!

I had a go at making a christmas wreth and found it fiddly at first until I got into it. the best advise I can give is if you are using oasis make sure you get the right type. sometimes you can even get precut shapes. Also check out the link mentioned on this thread.
    :kisses3: Married 29th September 2012:love:
  • Robinred
    Robinred Posts: 207 Forumite
    Options
    I just found this http://www.sweetpeasdirect.co.uk/index.htm lush lush lush I flippin love sweet peas! 74p each would work out quite a lot though I guess, I hope this helps someone though:beer:
  • Minimoo24
    Minimoo24 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    my mum is a real wonder with flowers and i have to brag abit and say that my flowers are amazing and just how i wanted them, and because she is my mum ''i can go i dont like it'' and not feel bad. They are alot harder to do yourself, than you first think but im so pleased with mine.

Sorry i was a compleat big head then:mad: sorry lol. I would upload pics but mum said i cant show anyone lol. x
    Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue. Only fools are statues every day. (15.09.12 cant wait!)
  • dawnebabe
    dawnebabe Posts: 462 Forumite
    Options
    For any North East brides, I've ordered my fresh flowers from Original Flower Company, Middlesbrough. I will be making, along with my sister, my own handtied rose bouquet with freedom roses, bridesmaid bouquet using avalanche roses, I will have enough red roses to make the centrepieces using approx 15 red roses per table for 5 tables, and make rose button holes & corsages for the top table (10 people).... plus, bear grass & oasis hand tie wraps, all for the bargain price of approx £100 & VAT!! I'll be picking them up this Thursday morning, they arrive fresh from Holland Wednesday night, the flowers they had in stock that I looked at were all beautiful! Will post as to how they were after I have them! My sister ordered flowers for her best friends wedding a couple of years ago & they were beautiful :) Our mum previously owned a florist, my sister & I did work in there, but we were self taught & with a bit of effort anyone can make a simple bouquet x
    :heartpuls dawnebabe :heartpuls
  • ohara09
    ohara09 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Has anyone considered using/have used herbs as table centre pieced for your wedding?

I'm getting married in a converted barn, which has quite a rustic feel about it, plus me and my OH want quite a relaxed/laid back feel and not too formal.

We first wanted seasonal (getting married in early May) cottage garden style flowers with vintage vases, but after preliminary research, I think this will be too expensive. Instead I was thinking perhaps making a centrepiece based on herbs - what are your thoughts? - Any ideas on how I could do this?

Also, does anyone know how early lavender flowers?

Many thanks
    Ohara x
  • Jewelleryfan
    Jewelleryfan Posts: 593 Forumite
    edited 30 August 2011 at 5:59PM
    Options
    :jHi Everyone!

Ive never been to this part of the forum before but i wanted to ask a few questions as i got engaged at the weekend :j:T

We will be having quite a small wedding and nothing too fussy just at a registary office and then at our local village hall. Our budget is very tight so were planning on decorating, catering etc and doing as much of it as we can.

Ive never thought of doing the flowers myself as i assumed it was too difficult but ive watched a few videos and i think with practice i could do a half decent job :rotfl:

We were thinking of having a single orchid in a vase/bowl with crystals for the tables, ive been the large orchids in tesco for £5/£8, we would probably needa bout 8, 9 or 10. There would be my bridal bouquet, 2 bridesmaids, flower girl and then about 6 pin holes. Do i need flowers for the ceremony too?

My main worry is when i would need to make these flowers as i imagine i will be quite stressed and wouldnt really want to do it the day before or the day of. When do you think would be ok to make them?
    Ive seen quotes for about £50 for my bouquet, £30 x 2 for bridesmaids and then about £4 x 6 for each pin hole, so im hoping i can do it alot cheaper :)

Is it best to buy the flowers from a local market, florist or supermarket? i have no idea where to look :o

Forgot to ask about purple flowers? Our colour is cadbury purple and white but i dont know what flowers are purple lol

Sorry for all the questions!
    Thanks everyone :)
    Saving my pennies for my wedding on 10th August 2013! :D :j
    First date 28/01/2010 :) Engaged 25/08/2011 :D Getting married 10/08/2013 :j
  • White_Sapphire
    Options
    ohara09 wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone considered using/have used herbs as table centre pieced for your wedding?

I'm getting married in a converted barn, which has quite a rustic feel about it, plus me and my OH want quite a relaxed/laid back feel and not too formal.

We first wanted seasonal (getting married in early May) cottage garden style flowers with vintage vases, but after preliminary research, I think this will be too expensive. Instead I was thinking perhaps making a centrepiece based on herbs - what are your thoughts? - Any ideas on how I could do this?

Also, does anyone know how early lavender flowers?

Many thanks
    Ohara x

Centrepieces based on herbs are a brilliant idea - you could get a different herb for each table, perhaps with a little note to explain their 'meanings' (google this - herbs have similar meanings to flowers, like true love, loyalty etc). You could give away the plants as favours or gifts, or plant in yourgarden or a window box yourself afterwards.

Aquick search on google tells me that lavender flowers from July to September - different varieties will vary, and where you are in the UK will have an effect too.
    :jHi Everyone!

Ive never been to this part of the forum before but i wanted to ask a few questions as i got engaged at the weekend :j:T

We will be having quite a small wedding and nothing too fussy just at a registary office and then at our local village hall. Our budget is very tight so were planning on decorating, catering etc and doing as much of it as we can.

Ive never thought of doing the flowers myself as i assumed it was too difficult but ive watched a few videos and i think with practice i could do a half decent job :rotfl:

We were thinking of having a single orchid in a vase/bowl with crystals for the tables, ive been the large orchids in tesco for £5/£8, we would probably needa bout 8, 9 or 10. There would be my bridal bouquet, 2 bridesmaids, flower girl and then about 6 pin holes. Do i need flowers for the ceremony too?

My main worry is when i would need to make these flowers as i imagine i will be quite stressed and wouldnt really want to do it the day before or the day of. When do you think would be ok to make them?
    Ive seen quotes for about £50 for my bouquet, £30 x 2 for bridesmaids and then about £4 x 6 for each pin hole, so im hoping i can do it alot cheaper :)

Is it best to buy the flowers from a local market, florist or supermarket? i have no idea where to look :o

Forgot to ask about purple flowers? Our colour is cadbury purple and white but i dont know what flowers are purple lol

Sorry for all the questions!
    Thanks everyone :)

Congratulations on your recent engagement!

I can't answer most of your questions, but for colours and seasonal availability I've used this website quite a lot. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will be along soon to help you more!

x
    :heart::heart::heart: Marrying my lovely man on 1st September 2012 :heart::heart::heart:
    :love:

The right to express an opinion does not override the responsibility to show respect. :)
  • mrscatquinn
    Options
    we just got married yesterday, and had an amazing day with flowers dresses and all the frills for under 2000. home made wedding. we asked the florist from our local surestart to help with the bouquets. cost for one bridal bouquet and 2 bridesmaids posies was less than 50quid. foam flowers from a floristry warehouse. the dresses were made to measure from china on ebay and cost less than 100. food was a grand medieval buffet . we ordered a suckling pig and whole salmon as centre pieces and cooked everything between us. a family frins borrowed us a posh car, another family friend took photos. all in all we asked everyone to do a little something and together it was amazing. not only was it the fraction of the cost but all our guest felt pleased to do their bit and be a part in making our day so successful. oh and asked for cheques and money as gifts.... so all in all made more in gifts than we spent on our wedding... how about that???
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure