We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

DVD + DivX player £25 delivered

Options

Comments

• Ragtimeplayer
    Ragtimeplayer Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone answer me this: does Divx/Xvid mean the same as .Avi?

I have tons of .Avi files on my computer from downloading tv programs from Uknova and would love to burn them all to dvd but it would take forever to encode them all.
    Stopped smoking Jan 2007 after 23 years!
    Cigarettes NOT smoked = 240,945
    Smoke free days = 11 Years :T
    Cash saved so far = £125,45,11
  • Gorf123
    Gorf123 Posts: 77 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    simonabc wrote: »
    Seems like a good deal to me, has anyone purchased this product and has anyone bought from SVP before?

SVP have a price promise, a no-quibble returns policy and top-notch customer service. Each item they sell can have reviews placed against it for other customers to evaluate. Often, this can be really helpful, if you take the time to read them first. I bought a little camera and SD card from them, but if I'd bothered to read the reviews, I'd have seen that they were incompatible. "No problem," says SVP, "just post them back for a refund."

You have to take some reviews with a pinch of salt. Often, reported problems with disc burning are down to the individual users' setups.

Over the years, I've spent about £1,500 at SVP. They also take PayPal, and any purchases you make entitle you to two entries in PayPal's "win a grand a day" lottery...
  • jowie
    jowie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Can anyone answer me this: does Divx/Xvid mean the same as .Avi?

I have tons of .Avi files on my computer from downloading tv programs from Uknova and would love to burn them all to dvd but it would take forever to encode them all.

AVI is simply a container file for video (the Mac/QuickTime equivalent is MOV). The actual video inside can be in pretty much any codec.

A *lot*, but not all, of videos downloaded these days (especially from Torrent sources) are either DivX or XviD. But AVI files go back years and can contain a whole multitude of different codecs.

So in answer to your question, no they aren't the same thing :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,109 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    lona43 wrote: »
    Best deal for multi region dvd player.

http://www.littlewoodsdirect.com/rf/lxd/navigation/product.do?Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&SNtt=bush&groupId=373296581&Nu=this_product&SNtk=littlewoods_search&Np=1&SN=101+85&Ntt=373296581&D=373296581&Ntk=group_search&Dx=mode%2Bmatchall&thisprod=373296581&N=101+85&Nty=1&Mis_item_id=15&Mis_item_loc_id=1&product=373296581

I bought this dvd player and it plays everything I've thrown at it.

If you join as new customer I think you get £15 discount or 20% not sure which.

Also free returns. There is a £3.99 delivery charge but if the right code you can get free delivery as well.
    Does the Bush player output RGB? Also, what's the sound like?

I'm looking for a cheap (around £30 - £40) player that outputs RGB and gives out some decent sound (without needing to connect to an amp). It only needs to be able to play DVD/CD/recordable DVD and CD formats.

I've tried a cheap Daewoo and Philips one but thought they were both un-user friendly and sound on both very poor.

All advice much appreciated! :)
  • Welcome_2
    Welcome_2 Posts: 220 Forumite
    Options
    Pixmania are rubbish.. they sent me my order a few months ago and they didnt put the item in the box.. was a remote.. they took 3 weeks and took ages for refunds.. they are a bunch of !!!!!!s.
  • calumsda
    Options
    "Anyone recommend something decent that will play files stored on memory card / flash drive? If it's got an upscaler for DVDs so much the better"

A week ago I got a Philips DVD player with a USB socket from Argos, 70 quid:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5335110/Trail/C%24cip%3D49550.Sound%2Band%2Bvision%3EC%24cip%3D49586.DVD%2Band%2Bvideo%3EC%24cip%3D49591.DVD%2Bplayers.htm

I've been very pleased. Played all downloaded AVI files so far, from 1GB and 2GB USB flash drives, and AVIs burned on a data DVD. Upscales also (to 1080i, I think), and has an HDMI output (need to buy cable separately).

Hope this helps, alanrowell.
  • IanWorthington
    Options
    jowie wrote: »
    Really? So you've ripped everything from VOB files and changed them into MPEG-2/AC3 muxed files? Interesting... On what do you play them?

Haven't changed anything. Just ripped direct to disk. (Which also gives me a backup for these disks, some of which I noticed are beginning to accumulate read errors.)

I playback from a laptop and we're starting to experiment with connecting that via S-video to the TV.

ian
  • IanWorthington
    Options
    swapnilz wrote: »
    hi what r disks f where does one get them
    does one need a special writer to write on them
    thanks

These are normal 500GB PC hard drives.
  • swood75729
    swood75729 Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a divx dvd player with usb port from Savapoint, what a nightmare. It took three weeks to arrive after about 5 emails to chase it and when it did arrive it was faulty, you can hear something rattling around inside as though something has broken off. When i contacted them on the same day that i took delivery they said I have to pay to send it back to them, when I emailed back to say that under Distance Selling Regulations I did not have to pay they have completely ignored me. I will be posting a letter saying the same and if I don't hear from them i guess, i'll be going to the small claims court.

Hope no one else has this kind of problem you can really do without it when all you want is a working dvd player. It's not cheap if it doesn't work
  • jowie
    jowie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Haven't changed anything. Just ripped direct to disk. (Which also gives me a backup for these disks, some of which I noticed are beginning to accumulate read errors.)

I playback from a laptop and we're starting to experiment with connecting that via S-video to the TV.

ian

Nice idea... I was thinking of ripping stuff to a network server drive, then running a Mac Mini or something under my main TV. When I have the money ;)

At the moment I plug my laptop into the TV, but would love to have an HDTV so I could watch HD movies directly from the laptop. If only I had known about the free HDTV offer they did for the PS3 launch in London...!! :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure