Engine starts but car won't move...

Options

Comments

• rainbow_791
    rainbow_791 Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Salz wrote: »
    My Vauxhall Cavalier used to do that all the time when it had rained, and as above you just had to keep going from first to reverse until it freed itself.

Was there a solution to this or any help from the garage? Or did you just have to keep trying until it freed itself?

Thank you
  • rainbow_791
    Options
    My Vauxhall Cavalier used to do that all the time when it had rained, and as above you just had to keep going from first to reverse until it freed itself.

Sorry to sound daft but did you literally just try move forwards then reverse, and keep going until it freed itself?
  • Salz
    Salz Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to sound daft but did you literally just try move forwards then reverse, and keep going until it freed itself?

Yup, just keep on doing it and pray that it worked, which it always did eventually. It happened every time after you had been out in very heavy rain. It was a known fault with them at the time but we just put up with it, but then we were too tight to get the thing repaired :)
    Not being very mechanically minded, I am not sure what it was, but would presume it was to do with the pads/discs.
    Don't Panic - and carry a towel
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2012 at 8:33PM
    Options
    Sounds like something is up with the clutch, but for the life of me I can't think why it would have this affect rather than making it impossible to get out of gear.

Im assuming it's not an auto box?

But then your description is unclear to say the least...........

Could be the handbrake has jammed on?
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Salz
    Salz Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Remembering a bit more and I am sure it was something to do with the hand brake and rear drum brakes. We stopped using the handbrake and we stopped having the problem. The drum gets clogged up and seizes - has to be cleaned.
    Don't Panic - and carry a towel
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    That's the trouble with the Clio (and my Focus). There's no external operating lever to tap with a hammer. :(
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Sounds like something is up with the clutch

Not when it won't roll, when out of gear.
  • rainbow_791
    Options
    mikey72 wrote: »
    When you say it doesn't move, does it stall when you let the clutch up?

I have just been out to try and when I let the clutch up it will stall
  • rainbow_791
    Options
    Yup, just keep on doing it and pray that it worked, which it always did eventually. It happened every time after you had been out in very heavy rain. It was a known fault with them at the time but we just put up with it, but then we were too tight to get the thing repaired :)
    Not being very mechanically minded, I am not sure what it was, but would presume it was to do with the pads/discs.

I have been out and tried this and we have freed up one side but the drivers side at the back is jammed still. It feels like we are getting somewhere but I am worried about been too ahrd with the cluth and causing more problems. I am so bad with stuff like this but did it generally take you long to free it up?
  • rainbow_791
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Sounds like something is up with the clutch, but for the life of me I can't think why it would have this affect rather than making it impossible to get out of gear.

Im assuming it's not an auto box?

But then your description is unclear to say the least...........

Could be the handbrake has jammed on?

There does not seem to be a problem with the handbreak but I am rubbish with cars, wish was during week so could get to my normal garage tomorrow.

It is not an auto box

When I try put it in gear and change gear there feels to be no problems at all, all normal util the point of making it move

Thanks for your help
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport