Engine starts but car won't move...

Comments

• thefishdude
    thefishdude Posts: 541 Forumite
    i think it will be fine now it sounds exactly liek what happend to my car and it was fine it was just pads siezed on once they were off it was absoloutly fine.
  • lee678
    lee678 Posts: 115 Forumite
    From reading all the advice do you not think it could have been from the bad flooding and something which will hopefully not happen again.

I really do not know the answer, just a thought :)
    let me explain a bit better then, in normal cars brakes do not just stick, the advice you have received ranging from banging with a hammer to just drag it round till it frees cant be right can it ? only one manufacturer of vehicles i know of with sticking rear brakes with a history of problems WAS vauxhall, the problem was weak return springs, replacing the springs cured the problem, just this saturday we had our latest french car in with a brake problem, on removing the drum the shoe just fell on the floor, if you google delaminating brake shoes you will see a lot of french cars do this, the shock of driving through flood water [ sudden temparature change ] only amplifies my reasoning, please get it checked it out, we see it all the time, and a back wheel locking up again at 20 mph is frightening enough let alone 70 mph .
  • lee678
    i think it will be fine now it sounds exactly liek what happend to my car and it was fine it was just pads siezed on once they were off it was absoloutly fine.
    pointless post
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 1 July 2012 at 8:00PM
    I have just been out to my car and managed to free the break
    How?, out of interest.

I've had a brake pad delaminate in a Citroen. The lining was loose in the drum. The brakes worked but from memory the handbrake and possibly the footbrake would bite at different heights depending on where the loose lining was.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 1 July 2012 at 7:58PM
    So do you think it is right to go garage still in the morning?

I would. (actually, I'd check them myself - but the principle's the same)

A check over will help protect against a repeat.

Do you know when the shoes were last inspected?

It doesn't pay to take chances with brakes.
  • rainbow_791
    rainbow_791 Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    How?, out of interest.

I've had a brake pad delaminate in a Citroen. The lining was loose in the drum. The brakes worked but from memory the handbrake and possibly the footbrake would bite at different heights depending on where the loose lining was.

It was from rocking the car and just trying to move forwards and then backwards, it took about 5 minutes to free each brake, then the car moved fine :)

But I will go by garage tomorrow still
  • thefishdude
    thefishdude Posts: 541 Forumite
    lee678 wrote: »
    let me explain a bit better then, in normal cars brakes do not just stick, QUOTE]

im not doubint your expertise as by sounds of it you work on cars but not sure that statement can apply to handrakes on cars with drum brakes. handbrakes do do this. my fiat punto done exactly that last tiem i drove it was a wet night i then paked for 2 days came back out and hand break had siezed on. i cleared by methods mentioned above and it was fine for 3 years after that. have also had it happen to a rover i owned aswell but that was after parking it up for a month wich is different.

but anyway by all means get it checked
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    My van siezes up every time it's parked up for a couple of weeks. It soon frees off with a bit of revs in reverse, and a loud clonk. Never had a shoe delaminate yet. Owed a fair few french cars and they go through a few fords, and a lot of floods around here.. If you do take it in, let us know if it was just rusted up with the water, or if indeed it has disintegrated.
  • lee678
    mikey72 wrote: »
    My van siezes up every time it's parked up for a couple of weeks. It soon frees off with a bit of revs in reverse, and a loud clonk. Never had a shoe delaminate yet. Owed a fair few french cars and they go through a few fords, and a lot of floods around here.. If you do take it in, let us know if it was just rusted up with the water, or if indeed it has disintegrated.
    your brake return springs need replacing, common misunderstanding, people change the shoes but not the springs, theyve done the same mileage, had the same heat, in laymans terms consider a new car compare it to a few year old, see how it sits lower on its springs ? you get it ?
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    lee678 wrote: »
    your brake return springs need replacing, common misunderstanding, people change the shoes but not the springs, theyve done the same mileage, had the same heat, in laymans terms consider a new car compare it to a few year old, see how it sits lower on its springs ? you get it ?

I find it's the constant rubbing that wears out the shoes, not the heat. And once it's sat with the handbrake on for 2 weeks, it would need a bit more than a new spring 40,000 miles ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure