We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

HSBC refuse to refund debit card fraud

Options

Comments

• lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They stole your money so press charges. I don't know what else you are expecting people to say?!

You could threaten them that you will go to the police if they don't pay back first but I doubt that will have much impact on people like that.
  • sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    How long do they keep the video footage from the cash machine?
    This may be your only hope of prosecution as it would appear to be the only 'proof' that it was not you that withdrew the money.
    You need to make a formal statement to the police NOW.
    I know you may feel unsure due to what might happen to this so called friend, but they have taken you for a mug and, however hard a life they may have had, it certainly does not mean that they should be allowed to get away with acting the way they have.
    What about the next person that they do it to?
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    sproggi wrote: »
    How long do they keep the video footage from the cash machine?
    This may be your only hope of prosecution as it would appear to be the only 'proof' that it was not you that withdrew the money.
    You need to make a formal statement to the police NOW.
    I know you may feel unsure due to what might happen to this so called friend, but they have taken you for a mug and, however hard a life they may have had, it certainly does not mean that they should be allowed to get away with acting the way they have.
    What about the next person that they do it to?

The bank still wont refund the money back as he took too long from when he knew card was nicked til he relaised he was had.

The police may seek footage and bring prosecution but how long might a judge give these 2 to pay back.

Also as it has taken him days to report it, and hours before contacting the bank, the blighters could argue he knew and authorised them to use the card.

just saying
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've been taken for a ride, what did you expect people to say ? If you're not prepared to prosecute the people who stole your money, then you'll have to put this one down to experience.

It's your choice. The longer you leave it, the more suspicious people will be that you are involved, any sane person would have been down the police station the same day.
  • philD_2
    philD_2 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    As per my account of the events - I did contact the police the same day!
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    philD wrote: »
    As per my account of the events - I did contact the police the same day!
    Look, you either press charges and maybe get your money back (probably not) or you don't press charges and that's the end of it. Nothing more to say really.
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 8,040 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Your decision to prosecute won't affect HSBC's position at all, so do it. They are right that it's the only way you'll see your money again.

Banks only refund if you haven't given anyone else access to your card and/or PIN and unfortunately you did.

I reclaimed a fraudulent debit card charge from HSBC a few months ago and I had to say on the phone that no-one else had had access to my card/PIN and then sign and return a letter confirming the same thing.
  • philD_2
    philD_2 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    PinkTeaPot

My debit card was stolen - I did not give them the card. With regards to the PIN, I don't know how they got it - I can only assume that person J watched me enter the PIN at the Asda self service checkout!
  • liam8282
    liam8282 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    Options
    OP what you have failed to consider is, anybody could reenact your scenario with friends in an attempt to defraud the bank.

I agree that the only chance you have of seeing your money again is by pressing ahead with the police.

Even then I doubt you will see your money again, or if the friends will be charged. All friends E & J have to do is say you gave them your bank card and your pin and asked them to withdraw the money, which you then spent. No way of proving anything.

All in all, in no way is this HSBC's responsibility.
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    PhilD - I am really sorry for what has happened - but you do need to take more affirmative action re. the Police. The HSBC (I used to bank with them) lost/stolen card emergency line is open 24-hours and there is a "reverse charges option" if you have no credit left on your 'phone. (http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/2/customer-support/card-services/lost-or-stolen)

I think the key issue which is going to cause you problems here is the time it took between the card being stolen and the reporting of the theft. But I would pursue things with the Police; if only to stop this happening to someone else.

I am sorry for the predicament you are now in - perhaps the CAB could offer further advice on Crisis loans...? But it seems that your good-nature has been taken advantage of.

Best wishes. x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport