🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

HSBC refuse to refund debit card fraud

Options

Comments

• philD_2
    philD_2 Posts: 88 Forumite
    Options
    HSBC are not aware (as far as I know) whether this has formally been reported to the police or not. I will formally report it if necessary. This isn't a disagreement - person J noted my pin number at Asda (I assume) and person E then stole my debit card. I don't know if person J, person E or both went to the cash machine. Again, I think we're missing the point...
  • philD_2
    Options
    With regard to what these two friends say - they are no longer friends - they will never enter my house again nor do I wish to communicate with them.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You really should report this to the police and proceed formally with the complaint. You owe them no loyalty if they've treated you like this.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    philD wrote: »
    HSBC are not aware (as far as I know) whether this has formally been reported to the police or not. I will formally report it if necessary. This isn't a disagreement - person J noted my pin number at Asda (I assume) and person E then stole my debit card. I don't know if person J, person E or both went to the cash machine. Again, I think we're missing the point...

But to HSBC it will look like a disagreement unless you take action to show that you're claiming it's theft.
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • ihateyes
    ihateyes Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Options
    as far as i see it.... you knew the card was missing. you failed to report the loss to HSBC when you discovered the loss. therefore HSBC are holding you accountable.

Thats what i see from what you typed.
    Promo codes are never always cheaper..... isnt that right EuropCar?
  • pqrdef
    pqrdef Posts: 4,552 Forumite
    Options
    HSBC don't seem to be disputing your version of events at all, in fact they're relying on it. Given that, I don't see that a prosecution will make any difference to their position on a refund.

They have to trust you to keep your card and PIN secure. If they think that your negligence has made possible a fraud against the bank, they'll hold you liable for their loss.
    "It will take, five, 10, 15 years to get back to where we need to be. But it's no longer the individual banks that are in the wrong, it's the banking industry as a whole." - Steven Cooper, head of personal and business banking at Barclays, talking to Martin Lewis
  • philD_2
    Options
    With regards to keeping my pin and card secure: I have assumed that person J looked over my shoulder when entering the PIN at the Asda self service checkout. Person E then stole my card from my house. My PIN was not written down etc.

Persons J and E conspired to defraud me - I haven't simply wondered down the street offering passers by a free try with my debit card.

With regards to not reporting the loss of the card - I had a max of 10 minutes between the loss of the card and the return of the card (it was posted through my letter box) - my mobile was also stolen and it was approx 06:40 in the morning.

I didn't report the card a stolen after it had been returned as I assumed that the two people concerned had thought better and returned the card. It was in the evening - approx 20:00 that I realised something was wrong when the ATM wouldn't give me any money.

Come on guys/girls - I may have made a mistake befriending a couple of losers but I didn't ask for all this.
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    philD wrote: »
    Come on guys/girls - I may have made a mistake befriending a couple of losers but I didn't ask for all this.

Who do you think should pay for your mistake?

Unfortunately you seem reluctant to blame 'friends' J and E.
  • Yuki60
    Yuki60 Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    Although your loss is horrible for you I have to agree with others in that HSBC are right in not refunding. You should have called the police and reported the theft as soon as they refused to give back the card. Not only did you wait, you are also to still yet give a statement as 'you are thinking about it.' That isn't the normal actions of someone who's just had that amount of money stolen. Also as someone else has said they couldn't have managed to take over £400 out at 6am as that is over the limit. I'm afraid your own actions have ensured you won't get the money back. You keep saying you will formally report it if necessary. What do you feel is necessary to prompt you into action? Even the police are now unlikely to take you seriously.
  • philD_2
    Options
    My daily limit is £500 - therefore they WERE able to take the £470 at 06:44. If you're going to comment then please read the thread first!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport