We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Options

Comments

• AbbieCadabra
    Options
    i hope Kazza is ok, not been around since 22nd Nov???

hope all is well & you're just busy :)
  • smurfetteRD
    Options
    Optimist wrote: »
    Is there a reason why the Halifax fixed rate isa isn't shown on here ? Seems reasonable for a year at 5% or 5.50% if you have over £30k

http://www.halifax.co.uk/isas/fixedrateisa.asp

that rate sunds good, just checked and it's as of 1st December too. Anyone seen anything better?

:confused:
  • Pandora123_2
    Options
    Wesleyan Bank has fixed rate ISAs at 5.25% for one year, 5% for two years and 4.75% for three years.

They close today though, not sure if they will hold the rate if you apply today.
    I want to move to theory. Everything works in theory.
  • purplestar133
    Options
    Pandora123 wrote: »
    Wesleyan Bank has fixed rate ISAs at 5.25% for one year, 5% for two years and 4.75% for three years.

They close today though, not sure if they will hold the rate if you apply today.

Is that close of business today? I got excited (a little bit anyway) when I saw that and then gutted again when I read that it closes today - I'm at work now so no chance of applying for that unless I can do it online tonight! :rolleyes:
  • Baldur
    Baldur Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    Options
    Is that close of business today?

Yes, according to eMoneyfacts https://www.emoneyfacts.co.uk/news/savings-news.aspx?newsarticleid=179021
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i hope Kazza is ok, not been around since 22nd Nov???

hope all is well & you're just busy :)

Hi AbbieCadabra,

I'm doing ok - just a bit busy at work, but thanks for asking.:)

The first post of this thread has been updated.

There have been a lot of rate changes, as providers respond to the 1.50% BOE base rate cut of last month. I expect that some of the other providers will follow suit so keep an eye on those rates.

Optimist - I will be adding some fixed rate ISAs at the weekend. Providers have been launching them and quickly withdrawing them, so I'll let things settle down a bit first.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • Dustykitten
    Dustykitten Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had an appointment to switch at Halifax last week and the advisor told me that by the time the transfer was complete the rate was very likely to be lower and that it would be the lower rate that I would get so I've gambled and gone NatWest.
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • Kazza242
    Options
    I had an appointment to switch at Halifax last week and the advisor told me that by the time the transfer was complete the rate was very likely to be lower and that it would be the lower rate that I would get so I've gambled and gone NatWest.

Thanks for the info. This is why I've been reluctant to include fixed rate ISAs for the moment. Providers have been withdrawing them within days of launch.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's interesting that Halifax take that approach. Some providers will guarantee the rate applicable when your account was opened, irrespective of the delay whilst waiting for the funds to arrive from your previous provider.

Kazza - you are showing Principality as 5.50% "new rate" but this rate was set on 01/11/08 and has definitely been reduced to 4.05% - they told me this by phone on Monday. They seem to be deliberately not updating MoneyFacts in order to con people into opening accounts with them, which is very naughty. Banking Code requires them to update their website within 3 days - so bet you that it gets changed tomorrow.

I'm not sure how you decide who gets a "new rate" flag - over a month old is certainly not a "new rate" as it pre-dates the last BoE rate change - pre/post BoE rate change would be a good basis.
  • Kazza242
    Options
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    Kazza - you are showing Principality as 5.50% "new rate" but this rate was set on 01/11/08 and has definitely been reduced to 4.05% - they told me this by phone on Monday. They seem to be deliberately not updating MoneyFacts in order to con people into opening accounts with them, which is very naughty. Banking Code requires them to update their website within 3 days - so bet you that it gets changed tomorrow.

I'm not sure how you decide who gets a "new rate" flag - over a month old is certainly not a "new rate" as it pre-dates the last BoE rate change - pre/post BoE rate change would be a good basis.

I'd forgotten - or rather I hadn't noticed - that I'd left the 'New Rate' flag on for this ISA, as I did just a quick update this evening. When you're editing a long list with HTML tags it can be easy to overlook some items. I'd removed the new rate for a number of other ISAs on the list.

I didn't amend the Principality rate because their official website is still displaying the rate as 5.50%, see here. If the rate has been reduced, as you've been told by Principality staff, then they really should update the rate on their website - as it is supposed to display correct rate information. I will check it again tomorrow to see if they update it then.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport