We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Options

Comments

• DragonQ
    DragonQ Posts: 2,193 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With rates so low, the only thing I've used ISAs for over the last few years is cashback. Last year I got £200 for depositing £1.2k over a year, a return of 16.7%. Far better than any interest rate available, and technically I can leave the cash in there to potentially grow tax-free in future years.

I haven't seen any equivalents so far this year, most cashback offers are demanding a much higher deposit (£5k or £10k for example).
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 April 2020 at 2:52PM
    Options
    DragonQ said:
    . . . Last year I got £200 for depositing £1.2k over a year, a return of 16.7%. Far better than any interest rate available, and technically I can leave the cash in there to potentially grow tax-free in future years.

If you made regular deposits of £100 per month over the year then your return was more like 33% pa.
    Nice one ! :)

>:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • DragonQ
    Options
    DragonQ said:
    . . . Last year I got £200 for depositing £1.2k over a year, a return of 16.7%. Far better than any interest rate available, and technically I can leave the cash in there to potentially grow tax-free in future years.

If you made regular deposits of £100 per month over the year then your return was more like 33% pa.

It actually looks like they're doing the same deal this year. TCB rate (today only) is £220 for £100/mo. Under "What will stop me getting cashback" there is an entry saying:
    "If you have previously purchased a Shepherds Friendly Stocks and Shares ISA, or if you have purchased and since cancelled any other Shepherds Friendly plan."
    Which presumably includes accounts opened in previous tax years, so I can't take advantage of it. Others might be able to though, and there's a similar deal with Scottish Friendly for £210 also.

• BigBlueSky
    BigBlueSky Posts: 634 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks DragonQ - How has your investment with them performed over the last 12 months ? - Separate from the cashback.
  • carpy
    carpy Posts: 1,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DragonQ said:
    DragonQ said:

It actually looks like they're doing the same deal this year. TCB rate (today only) is £220 for £100/mo. Under "What will stop me getting cashback" there is an entry saying:
    "If you have previously purchased a Shepherds Friendly Stocks and Shares ISA, or if you have purchased and since cancelled any other Shepherds Friendly plan."
    Which presumably includes accounts opened in previous tax years, so I can't take advantage of it. Others might be able to though, and there's a similar deal with Scottish Friendly for £210 also.

aren't they stocks & shares ISAs though....not cash ISAs?
  • grumiofoundation
    Options
    Just to be clear neither Shepherds nor Scottish friendly are CASH ISAS which is the subject of this thread.

DragonQ said:
    DragonQ said:

• DragonQ
    Options
    You're right, I clicked the wrong thread, sorry about that. They are indeed S&S ISAs.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DragonQ said:
    You're right, I clicked the wrong thread, sorry about that. They are indeed S&S ISAs.
    And not very good ones either.
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 April 2020 at 9:25AM
    Options
    Vernon Building Society have a decent 1.95 RS Cash ISA for those of you within 25 miles of their branch. Although it appears you may only pay in £500 a maximum per month.

https://www.thevernon.co.uk/savings/cash_isa_accounts
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,279 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Virgin Double Take E ISA is back. Issue 16 1.01%
    Also 1 Year Fixed Rate  Issue 422 1.05%

https://uk.virginmoney.com/savings/find/results/#online
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing