Cash ISAs: The Best Currently Available List

Options

Comments

• Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been doing some updates over the last couple of days.

I have added some new variable rate ISAs to the list and updated the fixed rate ISA rates.

The first post of this thread has been updated.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
  • Chippy
    Chippy Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    I opened a First Direct ISA in July with £200 and transferred in my previous ISA of £33710. It has since accrued interest of £4.82.

Given the drop in the rate I now want to transfer to the Leeds 2yr fixed ISA but I dont currently have the full £15240 of this years allowance and after September I wont be able to add to the Leeds account so should I/could I transfer £33710 to Leeds and keep the FD ISA for this years money? ie the £200 plus £4.82 interest plus any future deposits.

Thanks
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Chippy wrote: »
    I opened a First Direct ISA in July with £200 and transferred in my previous ISA of £33710. It has since accrued interest of £4.82.

Given the drop in the rate I now want to transfer to the Leeds 2yr fixed ISA but I dont currently have the full £15240 of this years allowance and after September I wont be able to add to the Leeds account so should I/could I transfer £33710 to Leeds and keep the FD ISA for this years money? ie the £200 plus £4.82 interest plus any future deposits.

Thanks

You could transfer just the previous years' deposits of £33710.

You might also consider saving outside an ISA in one of the many current accounts paying up to 5%. If you're a basic rate taxpayer you can earn £1k interest before having to pay tax (£500 for a HR taxpayer)

If you must use your ISA allowance in a cash ISA, you could pay up to £15040 into your FD ISA at the end of March to secure it.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    so should I/could I transfer £33710 to Leeds and keep the FD ISA for this years money? ie the £200 plus £4.82 interest plus any future deposits.

You probably know this but you won't be able to touch the leeds money for 2 years without 150 days loss of interest.
    If you don't need the money then I'd transfer all but £1 which is what I am doing. The forms are pretty straightforward.
  • badger09
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    You probably know this but you won't be able to touch the leeds money for 2 years without 150 days loss of interest.
    If you don't need the money then I'd transfer all but £1 which is what I am doing. The forms are pretty straightforward.

Why all but £1?

OP would be leaving current year's subscription of £200 + interest £4.82 in FD ISA.
  • jimbow25
    jimbow25 Posts: 351 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    capehorn wrote: »
    Down to 0.9% from 18th October

Only opened this last week argh!
    I possibly expected a drop (not that every rate fall in 2008 got an exact matching fall in interest rate...)... but 0.4% seems like a lot as a proportion of the overall rate, it's a 30% reduction.

I don't have or need a massive stack of cash savings, and saving is earning so little...definitely time to look at overpaying my mortgage instead of paying into an ISA.
  • badger09
    Options
    jimbow25 wrote: »
    Only opened this last week argh!
    I possibly expected a drop (not that every rate fall in 2008 got an exact matching fall in interest rate...)... but 0.4% seems like a lot as a proportion of the overall rate, it's a 30% reduction.

I don't have or need a massive stack of cash savings, and saving is earning so little...definitely time to look at overpaying my mortgage instead of paying into an ISA.

Are you making the most of high interest current accounts and/or regular savers?
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    Why all but £1?

OP would be leaving current year's subscription of £200 + interest £4.82 in FD ISA.

I believe £1 is required to keep the account open.
    £204.82 gives you little liquidity and doesn't maximise the interest.
    I guess it's not much either way but I'm going to maximise the advantage.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What would be the benefit of keeping the account open?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,490 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    £204.82 gives you little liquidity and doesn't maximise the interest.
    I guess it's not much either way but I'm going to maximise the advantage.
    This won't work. Current year subscriptions must be transferred in full. Therefore, the £1 left behind would be previous year subscriptions. The current year subscriptions would be transferred to the Leeds fix and Chippy would be unable to subscribe any more money to the FD ISA (or the Leeds one after September). The only way to take out the fix AND continue to add subscriptions to a cash ISA after September is to follow Badger's suggestion.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback