Using parent and child spaces when heavily pregnant

Options
1568101115

Comments

  • jellyhead
    jellyhead Posts: 21,555 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is it just supermarkets that have P+C parking spaces? I don't think I've ever seen them in multi-storey car parks, theme parks, doctor/hospital car parks etc?
    52% tight
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You should try re-posting on Discussion Time - a whole different range of responses on there :D
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    jellyhead wrote: »
    Is it just supermarkets that have P+C parking spaces? I don't think I've ever seen them in multi-storey car parks, theme parks, doctor/hospital car parks etc?

    They have them in the multi storey car parks and shopping centres near us. Usually close to the disabled spots. Have also seen them in out of town car parks near retail parks, eg Lakeside and Beckton. None of the doctors or hospitals near us have parking full stop much less parent and child parking though.
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I would have no problem with a pregnant women using a parent and child parking space. After all she is a parent and does have a child!;)

    I was huge when I was pregnant and had trouble just getting out of the car, so my OH would have to stop before parking to let me out as I would never have got out of the car otherwise in that tiny space you get in between cars normally.
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    That's really weird, because it directly contradicts the signage on the actual spaces, which specifically says they are for pushchairs.

    ...

    The sign does actually say 'for people with children under 5 in order to use pushchairs'. Its spelling it out that the purpose of them is the extra room for unloading children young enough that they come with bulky equipment.

    If it just said parents I wouldn't be allowed to park in them with my toddler and baby nieces, and childminders wouldn't be allowed to with 3 under 5! ;)

    Our signs don;t make any mention of pushchairs. Besides which, even if they did, I'd ignore it as I have never taken a pushchair to the supermarket and didn;t use one at all for the first six months of DD's life. I wore her in a sling (still do sometimes).

    The pushchair thing is irrelevant - you aren;t going to use one in a supermarket if you are also trying to push a trolley!

    I consider them 'adult with child' spaces, to provide wider spaces, and safer access to store (our store has a walkway direct from the spaces to the store, no need to cross traffic). And I use them with DD if there is a space available.

    Not quite sure why you are so hung up on the pushchair thing - what vital difference do you feel it makes?
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    skintchick wrote: »
    Our signs don;t make any mention of pushchairs. Besides which, even if they did, I'd ignore it as I have never taken a pushchair to the supermarket and didn;t use one at all for the first six months of DD's life. I wore her in a sling (still do sometimes).

    The pushchair thing is irrelevant - you aren;t going to use one in a supermarket if you are also trying to push a trolley!

    I consider them 'adult with child' spaces, to provide wider spaces, and safer access to store (our store has a walkway direct from the spaces to the store, no need to cross traffic). And I use them with DD if there is a space available.

    Not quite sure why you are so hung up on the pushchair thing - what vital difference do you feel it makes?


    Pushchair/carseat/inability to self propel, whatever it is that means you need the extra room to get them in and out.

    I suppose I'm 'hung up' on it because that's a usage that makes a lot of sense while the pregnancy thing doesn't make much sense at all.
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    Pushchair/carseat/inability to self propel, whatever it is that means you need the extra room to get them in and out.

    I suppose I'm 'hung up' on it because that's a usage that makes a lot of sense while the pregnancy thing doesn't make much sense at all.

    But you said it yourself - extra room to get in and out. Baby bumps get big!! and they don;t squash, so you can;t squeeze into small gaps between cars, and nor should you as it isn;t good for baby to be treated like that.

    And I don;t use a pushchair with Dd but I still need extra room as I have to open the door wide to get her out of her car seat.

    I don;t think anyone is suggesting that someone 8 weeks pregnant would use one, but when you get a big bump you do need extra room and I think it is churlish to deny a pregnant woman the use of such a space.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • jackieb
    jackieb Posts: 27,605 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    That's really weird, because it directly contradicts the signage on the actual spaces, which specifically says they are for pushchairs.

    That means nothing. The disabled spaces have wheelchairs on them and the majority of blue badge holders i've seen aren't in a wheelchair.
  • coralee_2
    Options
    if i cant get a p & c space i just take up 2 because i have been parked in and cannot get the car seat in or the child for that matter
  • wik
    wik Posts: 575 Forumite
    Options
    A few months ago my dad and I were out shopping on a busy Saturday morning, and I did say to him we could park in the parent & child bit... but he said NO!!! He didnt think that me being 45 and him 70 would count.... :D
    I replied... well I am your child...lol
    "Aunty C McB-Wik"
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards