Using parent and child spaces when heavily pregnant

Does anyone know the protocol on this?

I'm five and a half months pregnant and have never thought of using them, but a friend of mine is overdue (nine months and four days) and parked in one yesterday whilst nipping into Asda, and came back to find a staff attendant by the car, and he 'told her off' for using it, and warned her not to do it again. Am sure by the next time she's there, she'll had probably had the baby so will be fine to use them by then anyway :)

I can see why she shouldn't have used it, but would anyone begrudge a hugely pregnant woman using a space normally? What do you think?

Replies

• fluffnutterfluffnutter Forumite
    23.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think three things:

1) Legally, they're just gimmicks. It's just courtesy whether you park in them or not and your friend's not broken any 'law'.

2) Morally, I don't have a problem with this either. People bang on about how they need the extra space to get the carseat in and out etc. (which they do) but, frankly, massive bumps are just as awkward to manoeuvre out of a car!

3) Interestingly, when they first came out I distinctly remember them saying they were for people with children or pregnant women.

I'm due in a couple of weeks and would quite happily park in a P&C parking space. Plus I've got my isofix base in the car already so no one would know that I wasn't in the shop with the baby anyway :D
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • lostinrateslostinrates Forumite
    55.3K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone know the protocol on this?

I'm five and a half months pregnant and have never thought of using them, but a friend of mine is overdue (nine months and four days) and parked in one yesterday whilst nipping into Asda, and came back to find a staff attendant by the car, and he 'told her off' for using it, and warned her not to do it again. Am sure by the next time she's there, she'll had probably had the baby so will be fine to use them by then anyway :)

I can see why she shouldn't have used it, but would anyone begrudge a hugely pregnant woman using a space normally? What do you think?
    I ahhave not been heavily pregnant but imagine its more useful then with sore back and swollen ankles than with many of the young but walking age children.
  • DevilsAdvocate1DevilsAdvocate1 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I wouldn't begrudge someone so pregnant using one. I remember when I was heavily pregnant with my third and I had SPD which made it very painful to walk. I can remember thinking that I wished I could get a disabled badge for those few weeks as I really struggled with walking.

There was one day when I decided to leave the empty trolley next to my car as I just didn't have the energy to walk to the correct place to put it back. I decided that whoever found the trolley could have the pound coin!

However, there are some people who get really uptight about parent and toddler spaces. A while back, I dropped my mum and toddler off at a retail park in Durham. I went to Tesco to fill my car up with petrol and then returned to the retail park where I parked in a parent and toddler space. I left the car and went to Aldi to meet my mum and toddler. When we got back to the car I found that someone had left a post-it note on my window, asking where my toddler was and telling me that it was a space for parents and toddlers. Whoever it was must have seen me park the car without a toddler and assumed that I did not have one, though the would have seen the car seat if they had looked.

Some people really need to get a life. :rotfl:
  • I think they are more for when the children are actually with you outside of the womb :) I never used them when I was pregnant. If she can drive to the shop surely she can park in an ordinary space? I have asked people where their kids are when I've seen them parking in one when they clearly don't have any (no preggo ladies mind)
  • BlueAngelCVBlueAngelCV Forumite
    671 Posts
    I get really mad about people parking in disabled/baby spaces for no reason but I wouldn't have a problem with someone heavily pregnant using them.
    Wedding 5th September 2015
  • fluffnutterfluffnutter Forumite
    23.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If she can drive to the shop surely she can park in an ordinary space?

Which is equally true of disabled people, surely.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • FATBALLZFATBALLZ Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    There is no official protocol, these spaces are legally meaningless.

Your friend should have told the attendant where to go, a 9mth+ pregnant woman I would suggest would struggle more with getting out of the car in a tight space than a non-pregnant woman with a small child.
  • I had shocking SPD for the record. I wouldn't have a go at a heavily pregnant woman either. Our Sainsbury's has a patrol bloke but he's more I terested in big vans taking up loads of space.
  • Person_onePerson_one Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's a sign on the ones at Tesco near me that says they are specifically for people with children under 5 to make using pushchairs easier. Can't remember the exact wording but its pretty clear who they're for.

That said, I don't tend to pay a great deal of attention to who's in them and why.
  • Person_onePerson_one Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had shocking SPD for the record. I wouldn't have a go at a heavily pregnant woman either. Our Sainsbury's has a patrol bloke but he's more I terested in big vans taking up loads of space.

How did you manage walking round the supermarket?

Are there temporary blue badges for people who only have short term disabilities for whatever reason? That would make more sense than special pregnancy spaces!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid pass scam robbed grandfather of £25k

He got his money back after MSE intervened

MSE News

20,000 FREE Ideal Home Show tickets

For London, Fri 11 Mar to Sun 27 Mar

MSE Deals