Using parent and child spaces when heavily pregnant

Comments

• Which is equally true of disabled people, surely.

In some cases but being pregnant isn't a disability :)
  • Chakani
    Chakani Posts: 826 Forumite
    They usually have a safe route from the spaces to the shop, for walking with toddlers, and a bit more space for getting baby seats in and out without bashing other cars. I'd be a bit miffed if a healthy adult (albeit a pregnant one) took the last parent and child space and make me trek across a busy carpark with two toddlers, especially since the parent and child spaces are often not that near the shop, and there are often ordinary spaces nearer. Saying that though, she isn't breaking any laws, just being a bit inconsiderate. I wouldn't feel annoyed about it if there were lots of P&C spaces free, I don't think.

But then. I had healthy pregnancies, so I can't judge people who don't - maybe I'm harsh, and she needed a lot more space than I did when pregnant to get out.
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    If she can drive to the shop surely she can park in an ordinary space?
    Which is equally true of disabled people, surely.

Please tell me this response was a joke?

Being disabled is not a lifestyle choice... I won't get into this as it has been done to death on the Disability and Dosh board but I just felt I had to challenge the assumption that if you can drive then you are able enough to not need a disabled space.
    :hello:
  • Person_one wrote: »
    How did you manage walking round the supermarket?

Are there temporary blue badges for people who only have short term disabilities for whatever reason? That would make more sense than special pregnancy spaces!

I didn't go shopping tbh, home delivery or just to the local shop) I did try to keep active walking the dog a bit. It's funny really as I know it was bad at the time but now I struggle to remember what it was like (2 years ago) :)
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    In some cases but being pregnant isn't a disability :)

No, indeed. But your argument seemed to be that if you can drive you're physically able to use a normal space. In which case, we wouldn't need to have any special parking for anyone. And I don't think that's a great argument (nor do I think that's really what you're trying to say).

Being able to drive is quite different to being able to walk without discomfort or manoeuvre yourself easily in and out of a car, a problem which can be shared by both disabled people and pregnant women.

It's not really that big a deal but it just seems courteous. If we're happy as a society to give up our seat on public transport for a heavily pregnant women (and I think most of us are) then why not extend that courtesy to a parking bay with a bit more room that's (usually) a bit nearer to the door?
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Please tell me this response was a joke?

Being disabled is not a lifestyle choice... I won't get into this as it has been done to death on the Disability and Dosh board but I just felt I had to challenge the assumption that if you can drive then you are able enough to not need a disabled space.

I interpreted the post quite differently, making the pointvthat if you can drive does not necessarily mean you can walk well or get around easily
  • Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I interpreted the post quite differently, making the pointvthat if you can drive does not necessarily mean you can walk well or get around easily

Thanks - my gnashers have stopped grinding now... I can see it can be taken two way... and having seen Fluff's additional post then I think I need to fess up to grabbing the wrong end of the stick :o.
    :hello:
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No, indeed. But your argument seemed to be that if you can drive you're physically able to use a normal space. In which case, we wouldn't need to have any special parking for anyone. And I don't think that's a great argument (nor do I think that's really what you're trying to say).

Being able to drive is quite different to being able to walk without discomfort or manoeuvre yourself easily in and out of a car, a problem which can be shared by both disabled people and pregnant women.

It's not really that big a deal but it just seems courteous. If we're happy as a society to give up our seat on public transport for a heavily pregnant women (and I think most of us are) then why not extend that courtesy to a parking bay with a bit more room that's (usually) a bit nearer to the door?

The problem with specifically designating them as being for pregnant women is firstly that there's no way to stop any woman using them unless you start asking them for urine samples on the way into Tesco.

Secondly, there are lots of conditions/injuries/little hardships that might mean a person would appreciate a close to the shop and roomy parking space just as much as a heavily pregnant woman for pretty similar reasons, why extend the courtesy only to one limited group?
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite

Yes! If you read my later post, Tiddlywinks, I think you'll understand a little more about what I meant.

Simply that it's not a great argument to say that anyone who can drive should be fit and mobile enough to use a normal parking bay.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Although I never parked in parent and child spaces when pregnant with my first I can totally understand doing it.

When I was quite pregnant I went to a retail park, when I got back to the car someone had parked too close and I was unable to get into the car! I was too big to be clambering in from the passenger side so I sat on the curb for 20 mins until they returned. I am normally quite calm but I did question their parking ability :-@
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure