🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Using parent and child spaces when heavily pregnant

Options

Comments

• Kildare
    Kildare Posts: 311 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was joking about parent and baby spaces with friends last weekend, how they are actually 'parent, baby & quarter of a million pound car' spaces - there always seems to be an expensive sports car in one of them :rotfl:

On a serious note, about 12 years ago I worked on customer service at Asda and we used to get a lot of customers coming up to the desk to complain that people who shouldn't be were using the disabelled and M&B spaces. I used to sympathise with the customer who complained and then put out a call for the car owner to come to my desk and then I'd politely ask them to move if they were parked incorrectly. Not sure whether they ever did move there cars.

I had one awful incident though, this very irrate woman with children came in and was very worked up that someone had parked in M&B who didn't have children. She went off to do her shopping, I put out the call and a heavily pregnant lady came over, explained it was her car and I said of course its no problem for her to park there. Unfortunatley the customer who complained saw she hadn't moved, and stuck a nasty sign to her car windshield with glue - I had the pregnant lady in tears and two lads trying to clean her car up for her. I know people can get worked up over these things but I don't know what would ever drive someone to do a nasty thing like that to anyone :(
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    skintchick wrote: »
    Because she IS a parent and child, just one in-utero, thereby meeting the requirements of the space-usage rules, which fat or disabled or less flexible people do not.

And...because she is MAKING a BABY. She is creating a miracle of life right there in her womb. It's frickin' AWESOME and she deserves RESPECT.

My pregnancy hormones are convincing me what I'm doing is miraculous, but even so, my rational mind's still telling me that it's my choice.

I'm of the firm belief that we shouldn't expect preferential treatment because of our lifestyle choices. Having said that, I'm a complete !!!!ing hypocrite because I'm more than happy to take advantage of my enormous bump and use P&C spaces at the moment!

I think my main point is that it wouldn't bother me if someone else (without kids or a bump) were using them. They're so contentious (as this thread proves!) it seems we'd be better off without them... but in the meantime, I'm using them to my advantage :D
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd just like tp point out that I don't generally care or even notice who uses the spaces, I just think its an interesting topic, especially with posts like Skintchick's.

There seems to be a weird attitude to pregnancy and motherhood recently, almost a cross between deification of pregnant women and complete infantilisation of them.

(I have to laugh at the 'miracle' thing though, how many other 'miracles' are millions of women the world over desperately trying to prevent every day because they are just so darn easy to create?)
  • fluffnutter
    Options
    Person_one wrote: »
    There seems to be a weird attitude to pregnancy and motherhood recently, almost a cross between deification of pregnant women and complete infantilisation of them.

Ain't that the truth. Spot on.
  • Sparklebabey
    Options
    I personally wouldn't have a problem with a heavily pregnant woman using the space...
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    skintchick wrote: »
    Because she IS a parent and child, just one in-utero, thereby meeting the requirements of the space-usage rules, which fat or disabled or less flexible people do not.

And...because she is MAKING a BABY. She is creating a miracle of life right there in her womb. It's frickin' AWESOME and she deserves RESPECT.

Good god. Please don't count me, as recently pregnant, in with this claptrap.

I never expected respect because in one given month I'd got up to some shennanigans and a sperm had met an egg and stuck. I'll expect respect when I bring that baby up to be a polite, considerate, productive member of society - not for a simple consequence of a night's bonking and some good biological luck.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't have a problem with a heavily pregnant woman using these spaces either.....

One particular car park we use is quite often full on a Saturday and the p&c spaces are always full (I would guess by the staff that work in the shops!).

The regular spaces are really tiny, so you try and find somewhere with a bit more room, only to find you come back and there's a different car next to you which is the size of a sherman tank and you can't open your door. Now I'm not pregnant, but I don't have the figure of Twiggy, so many a time hubby has to pull out of the space before I can get in the car!

Some people are under the impression that the p&c spaces are for people just to boast about the fact they have children, but no, they are there because they are wider!
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £41,671.53
  • theoldcynic
    theoldcynic Posts: 247 Forumite
    edited 13 June 2012 at 12:42PM
    Options
    I do use the P&C spaces being heavily pregnant and I have no shame about doing so.

Yes I agree it was my choice to get pregnant, but I had a naive view that I wouldn't be one of those people to suffer so badly with it, like many choices we all make.

There are people too who have disabilities through their own life choices (and people who don't of course) and I would never be-grudge them their space either. Life is like that and we all make mistakes and short sighted decisions and decisions we regret (not that I regret mine!), we're not all born with the perfection gene or fortune telling abilities.

I do need the extra space and getting out of the car at the moment is a right faff and requires the door to be open fully. My local supermarkets P&C spaces are closer to the entrance and I do need that having been told I should be on my feet as little as possible atm, plus with approx 7lbs weighing on my bladder I often need to make a waddle for the loo to avoid an embarrassing situation and a clean up for the staff.

I do not feel I should have to justify to any of you why I don't have deliveries if I need to be off my feet, I know I can sit down in my local supermarket if/when I need to, and how to try to keep my trip as short as possible. Just the same as I do not expect a parent with child to justify their reasons, or someone with disabilities too.

I have never been harassed for taking up a space by anyone and would never dream of doing so to someone else.

Interestingly one of our local car parks does have some wide spaces that are close to the supermarket, and they are not designated for P&C or people with disabilities. Perhaps that would take some of the bitterness away that seems to be apparent in society and in this thread.
  • fluffnutter
    Options
    Some people are under the impression that the p&c spaces are for people just to boast about the fact they have children, but no, they are there because they are wider!

Not everywhere. I think dizziblonde said the bays in her local Asda were normal size. Which begs the question... what's the point of them (or some of them)?

Personally I think it's more about enticing women (who are supermarkets' main demographic and often have small children in tow) into the store. There's no real need for them.
  • snowyz81
    snowyz81 Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    I went to visit Asda in St Helens when my daughter was still in a carrier car seat, obviously i took it with me while i did the shopping. I came out to a note on my windscreen from the car park people(not asda) advising me that i was parked in a m&b space and they could not see any evidence of a child in my car and advising me i should not be parked there. This is the first time i've even heard of a supermarket checking, so i was impressed.
    Mummy to Isabella - March 2008 and Daisie - September 2012
    :A - November 2011 (mc)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills