🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Using parent and child spaces when heavily pregnant

Options

Comments

• pink68
    pink68 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I stopped using child spaces when my children stopped using buggies but was actually approached by the security guard at my local sainsbugs to tell me I was welcome to use them til the kids were ten years old.

If I saw a heavily pregnant lady using them it would just make me smile.
    Credit Card debt £10247.17 1/1/2020
  • dizsiebubba
    dizsiebubba Posts: 850 Forumite
    Options
    tiamai_d wrote: »
    You've got a right little bee up your butt about people having children haven't you?

Still at least it means you've got a hobby.

Fluff is pregnant so I don't think she hates people with kids... but then again I might be wrong....
    :jBaby Boy born December 2012 :heart:
  • dizsiebubba
    dizsiebubba Posts: 850 Forumite
    Options
    k12479 wrote: »
    The problem is that cars have got much bigger. Making spaces in existing car parks larger would mostly result in fewer spaces, so not really a solution. People buying cars that are more appropriately sized for their needs however, may be a solution.

Kind of like communism though... lovely idea in theory but not very easy in practise!
    :jBaby Boy born December 2012 :heart:
  • dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fluff is pregnant so I don't think she hates people with kids... but then again I might be wrong....

Fluff's like me - low tolerance threshold for women who think because they choose to have a child that the world should jump to it and automatically revolve around their choices... and I wouldn't try the "oh you'll change when the baby comes" assumption - because I sure as heck didn't! I view P+C spaces, buggy spaces on buses (yes I went there) etc as nice conveniences - not some fundamental (giving)birth-right... if they're there - cool, if not, I'll survive around 'em.

Like I said before - I'll start thinking about demanding respect for being a mother, not by virtue of giving birth - but when my little girl turns out as a sensible, kind, caring, productive member of society - not until. I hate this culture of "I'm a mother - worship me" and some of the self-appointed P+C space vigilantee crew are really terrible for it.
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • tiamai_d
    tiamai_d Posts: 11,987 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh I see, it's only every other Mother that act like Gods gift.

Suuuure...
  • CL
    CL Posts: 1,537 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe others won't agree, but the way I view the P&C spaces is that the supermarket own the car park, they have researched it and have found that families spend the most, so want to encourage parents to shop there. So they decide to allocate P&C spaces to make shopping easier for parents.

They own the spaces, so they can decide who parks in them. I never parked in them before I had a child, and if I'm at a supermarket without my child I don't park in them.

I'm pregnant at the minute and I don't plan to park in them when my DD isn't with me, but that might change if I'm unlucky enough to be in discomfort later in the pregnancy.

I would have no problem with a heavily pregnant woman taking the last P&C space. Likewise, I would give up my seat to a heavily pregnant woman. I don't think it's about equality, I think it's about giving up something to someone who has a greater need than yourself.
  • pawsies
    pawsies Posts: 1,957 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I personally do not think pregnant women should be driving late in the pregnancy. If they crash there is too much risk for the unborn baby- especially if the bump is pressed against the steering wheel which I've seen many times!
  • Mad-Frog
    Mad-Frog Posts: 936 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Okay I will never park in a disabled spot but mother and baby??

I work shifts I have holdall handbag and breakfast sometimes with breakfast and lunch, sometimes with lunch and dinner depending on shift, I have to negotiate this heavy awkward item out of my car in the car park.

No lighter than your bubs, sometimes heavier do I get to park in PWC space, No

If as a tax payer has to as usual lump it or leave it, being pregnant is not a disability and shouldn't be treated as so

I have been undergoing treatment at my doctors non life threatening I grant you but my goodness It has tired me out

Where is my parking permit?
  • Taadaa
    Taadaa Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    Options
    pawsies wrote: »
    I personally do not think pregnant women should be driving late in the pregnancy. If they crash there is too much risk for the unborn baby- especially if the bump is pressed against the steering wheel which I've seen many times!

Well sometimes needs must. There may be a point when I stop driving, but I live in a village and would rather not have to wait two hours for a bus that doesn't go where I want it to anyway so I would have to walk.
    I have had many Light Bulb Moments. The trouble is someone keeps turning the bulb off :o

1% over payments on cc 3.5/100 (March 2014)
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    Mad-Frog wrote: »
    Okay I will never park in a disabled spot but mother and baby??

I work shifts I have holdall handbag and breakfast sometimes with breakfast and lunch, sometimes with lunch and dinner depending on shift, I have to negotiate this heavy awkward item out of my car in the car park.

No lighter than your bubs, sometimes heavier do I get to park in PWC space, No

If as a tax payer has to as usual lump it or leave it, being pregnant is not a disability and shouldn't be treated as so

I have been undergoing treatment at my doctors non life threatening I grant you but my goodness It has tired me out

Where is my parking permit?

You must be the size of a house :rotfl: :rotfl:

The average newborn baby weighs around 7 to 8lbs or half a stone. Older babies weigh considerably more than that and a non walking toddler could weigh up to 20lbs or a stone and a half. Which is not taking into account the weight of the car seat which is more than the baby.

No way on this earth though could I eat 7lbs in weight of food spread over 2 meals. That weight of food would probably last me most of the week!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport