PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

recipe book recommendations please

Options

Comments

• fruityslh
    fruityslh Posts: 123 Forumite
    Options
    My Nan, (who very kindly sent me her copy of Sainsbury's book of home baking it's from the 1980's)
    I love the Jamie Oliver books
    The recipe indexes on here are also great, especially when I bought some brisket and didn't know what to do with it!!!
    Pay all debts by Xmas 12 # 072 £1201.79/£15,105.68:eek:
    2012 Frugal Living Challenge
    Sealed Pot Challenge 5 #1711
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I was about 11 or 12 my mum collected a series called Supercook and when it was reissued not long after she collected it all over again for me. I still have it at aged 40 and it is 8 volumes long, in alphabetical order and easy to follow index. I think every recipe in the whole world is in these volumes and every recipe I try really works. Quantities are spot on and there is even a conversion table for american weights into English as well as temperature conversions.

Apart from these my most used cook book is one I bought when I did O Level Cookery (I failed - got E! Passed the practical and failed the theory so who cares?!) called Family Meals from M&S. Ive made so many recipes from this book and it is well worn and falling apart!
  • lifesachallenge
    Options
    Go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes.

You can put in an ingredient/s and find recipes or do it by TV prog. ie ready steady cook - for a quick dish, or Madhur Jaffrey for top curries. or Jamie Oliver recipes.

It has a recipe binder so you can save the recipes you like.

I bought a 20p plastic binder folder, print the recipes off at work - and hey presto the Best recipes by the best chefs -for free!!

Happy cooking
  • lucylou
    lucylou Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    I love the bbc recipes from Ready Steady Cook and I have a notebook as well (I have a French cookery notebook my sister got me in Paris for my birthday it's lovely) and I write recipes I find that work all the time in there
    half scottish half italian :100%moneysaver
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only one I refer to regularly is my Good Housekeeping step by step cook book. I got it for my 18th birthday. I'm looking forward to trying out some be-ro recipes too from my newly acquired book which arrived this week.
    I print off quite a lot of recipes from the bbc website - usually things I've seen on TV & want to try.
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    Good housekeeping step by step from 1950.
    Its very tatty but so useful I especially like the biscuit section :D
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Then you'd LOVE the Be-Ro book too! :D
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • lucylou
    Options
    I've ordered the Be-Ro book and hope it will be coming soon!:j
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They say allow 28 days... but it will get to you in the end :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • lucylou
    Options
    thanks Squeaky

Yours hopefully
    Lucylou ;)
    p.s. are the recipes similar to the ones on their website?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport